British comedy is no longer funny Page 2

Quote: Ian Wolf @ January 25 2012, 4:34 PM GMT

the 2006 winner of the "Comedy of the Year" award was Green Wing.

Well that undermines Renegade's argument...

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 25 2012, 11:40 AM GMT

Bizarrely, it's American comedy shows such as South Park, Family Guy and Curb Your Enthusiasm that are really pushing the boundries. They regularly make jokes about sex, incest, child abuse, murder, kidnapping, politics, race, etc., but most of all, they are subversive of both modern culture and the television genre itself.

That's three and they all started over a decade ago. I'm sure if went to the US and sat through most of the sitcoms they would make Two And A Half Men look like Fawlty Towers (most sitcoms were probably rubbish then as well).

I don't see that you need the subjects listed as a must for laughing out loud either.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 25 2012, 11:40 AM GMT

I think it's time we all came to admit, that British television comedy isn't funny anymore.

As a viewing audience we have been force fed and completely subdued by dull, saccarhin, unchallenging, uncontroversial but most of all, unfunny sitcoms, stand up performers and panel shows.

Nothing is cutting edge or outrageous or subversive anymore. Sure, there are lots of comedy programmes on, but none of them actually make you laugh out loud. Michael McIntyre's Comedy Roadshow, Outnumbered, Russell Howard's Good News, Rev - all fine programmes, lovingly crafted and brought to you by credible production companies - they make you smile, but they don't actually make you laugh.

Hey, I like being filled with safe, middle class, nice-nice feelings as much as the next guy, but it's got to the point where I can't sit through these programmes anymore.

Bizarrely, it's American comedy shows such as South Park, Family Guy and Curb Your Enthusiasm that are really pushing the boundries.

Family Guy stopped being funny after season 4, Curb stopped being funny around season 3. SouthPark is great but when it misses it is dire.

It's all subjective. Inbetweeners was quite rude? I don't know I only seen one and got bored, but isn't that the kind of humour you're after?

I don't really see there is a decline, there is the same percentage of crap to good there always has been just there are loads more channels to surf to find the good.

Quote: youngian @ January 25 2012, 4:50 PM GMT

That's three and they all started over a decade ago. I'm sure if went to the US and sat through most of the sitcoms they would make Two And A Half Men look like Fawlty Towers (most sitcoms were probably rubbish then as well).

I don't see that you need the subjects listed as a must for laughing out loud either.

Sure, they have their bad current ones, but they also have many, many great ones. Certainly most of the current TV comedy I love is being made in America.

Quote: Gavin @ January 25 2012, 4:50 PM GMT

Curb stopped being funny around season 3.

Wash your fingers out.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 25 2012, 4:52 PM GMT

Wash your fingers out.

3 was the restaurant with tourettes right? That was a good series never got better just meandered and declined.

Quote: Gavin @ January 25 2012, 4:54 PM GMT

3 was the restaurant with tourettes right? That was a good series never got better just meandered and declined.

The Seinfeld season (Season 7, maybe??) Was supoib. Still enjoy watching it, though it's never been a personal favourite.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 25 2012, 4:52 PM GMT

Sure, they have their bad current ones, but they also have many, many great ones. Certainly most of the current TV comedy I love is being made in America.

Have to agree with Matthew on this one. I can't think of a single new British comedy show in the last year that I would celebrate.

You'd have to be blind not to see that there has been a massive cultural shift in the last few years and it's been to the detriment of British comedy.

As the channel controllers are actively censoring anything that might cause offence, I can't see this situation getting any better.

Of course, you could argue that this is not the case...but then again, you could watch The Royal Bodyguard and then come on the BCG and have a moan about how rubbish it is without connecting the dots.

I'm not sure censorship is the root of Britain's shoddy output of late. As Matt says, there are plenty of great shows coming out of the States right now that do nothing to get the censor's bell ringing, so why isn't Britain making PG sitcoms to match the quality of Parks & Rec, Community or Modern Family?

Are you one of the posters who doesn't have Sky?
I know a few said they didn't have it on the awards thread.

Quote: zooo @ January 25 2012, 5:19 PM GMT

Are you one of the posters who doesn't have Sky?
I know a few said they didn't have it on the awards thread.

I do have Sky but that's just for The Simpsons, isn't it? What British comedies are playing on Sky that are worth a look?

I completely agree with Renegade 100 percent on this matter. We've stopped being funny for a long time. America is having a renaissance in comedy. They have channels that let them be creative. They don't cancel shows after 1 series. They don't base the quality of a show on ratings. They commission experimental programmes.

We have censors blocking what you can and can't say and lawyers looking over your shoulder at every line of script and everything has to be diminished and mainstreamised so that it doesn't cause even an iota of offence. We're f**ked.

Threesome, which just finished, was very funny.

And there are one or two others that I can't remember offhand because my brain is made of gravel.

Quote: Monster Scum Bag @ January 25 2012, 5:22 PM GMT

They don't cancel shows after 1 series. They don't base the quality of a show on ratings.

I thought that was exactly what America did? :S

Quote: zooo @ January 25 2012, 5:23 PM GMT

Threesome, which just finished, was very funny.

I seem to remember reading some very poor reviews of this but I will endeavour to check it out on your recommendation.

Quote: zooo @ January 25 2012, 5:24 PM GMT

If they even make it that far...

Quote: zooo @ January 25 2012, 5:24 PM GMT

Yeah, admittedly the main three and Fox are notorious for that.

But I was mostly thinking of HBO, Showtime and Comedy Central.

Quote: David Bussell @ January 25 2012, 5:19 PM GMT

I'm not sure censorship is the root of Britain's shoddy output of late.

I think it has. Remits are passed down from upon high and in order to keep their jobs, no one is taking a risk. Everything has to fit into little inoffensive boxes that appeals to the lowest common denomenator.

Some of the returning sitcoms that we enjoy so much, would never have been commissioned in the current climate.

Take all the sex, bodily fluid and drug jokes away from Peep Show and you might have something you can show to an 8pm audience, but it would be awful.

Quote: Monster Scum Bag @ January 25 2012, 5:22 PM GMT

I completely agree with Renegade 100 percent on this matter. We've stopped being funny for a long time. America is having a renaissance in comedy. They have channels that let them be creative. They don't cancel shows after 1 series. They don't base the quality of a show on ratings. They commission experimental programmes.

We have censors blocking what you can and can't say and lawyers looking over your shoulder at every line of script and everything has to be diminished and mainstreamised so that it doesn't cause even an iota of offence. We're f**ked.

Yep.