Newsjack - Series 6 Page 27

Quote: StephenM @ February 29 2012, 11:35 AM GMT

I'll tell you about Treason as that's my favourite of these shows. Someone else can fill you in about NewsRevue and I fear you're about 10 years too late for Weekending! (Weekending was a cross between Newsjack and the Now Show on Radio 4 in that new writers could submit).

Treason is Brighton's equivalent of NewsRevue and they have a show every 6-8 weeks. See here for more information: http://www.treasonshow.co.uk/team/writers.shtml

To join the writers list you need to send in two pieces of work and there's full info on guide on submissions here: http://www.treasonshow.co.uk/team/writeguide.shtml

If you can get down to see a show it really helps but that might not be that easy! Otherwise there's a few clips on their website.

Great. Thanks for both replies. Very useful.

Late to the party I know! I submitted three sketches to Newsjack this week on:

Black market fish
Cuts to BBC4
The Koran burning in Afghanistan

I'm not sure they'll touch this last one, despite it (obviously) not being pro Koran burning! It's probably too sensitive even so. It would be brave of them to do it.

I also sent in 12 one lines on everything from the Arctic losing snow to Mrs Merkel getting covered in beer. And I just spotted a typo in one of them!

Finger's crossed for the Thursday evening email...

How interesting when you write Mrs Merkel it looks like Mrs Merton

nb you can send the same sketches to NR and Treason, but not on the same email!

Might be a bit late, but if anyone is still looking for tickets for tonight, tweet at this guy @StreathamMao.

@StreathamMao "My mates have had to pull out of tonight's @NewsjackBBC show. I don't want to waste them, so who wants 2 tickets for a 6:5pm showing?"

Anyone back from the recording yet and ready to spill the beans?

Take it no one went to recording with notebook?

They may be too busy drowning sorrows...

happy torture day everyone! the wait is on

Is it ThuF5day already?

Quote: 3songsnoflash @ March 1 2012, 11:14 AM GMT

Is it ThuF5day already?

Nice. I see what you did there.

Seeing the lack of a recording report I propose we start speculating wildly over these two items from the Newsjack twitter:

The longest sketch we recorded last night was 2'15 long. And was under two pages long. #statsfromtheedit

There were sketches that were over two pages, but they had lots of short lines. The 2'15 one had a few longer blocks of speech.

So submissions and stopwatches out people - if it takes you longer then 2.15 to read out loud it's probably not in!

(Also out any vox pops that raise 2+ minutes of laughter..)

Quote: Hennell @ March 1 2012, 12:16 PM GMT

Seeing the lack of a recording report I propose we start speculating wildly over these two items from the Newsjack twitter:

So submissions and stopwatches out people - if it takes you longer then 2.15 to read out loud it's probably not in!

(Also out any vox pops that raise 2+ minutes of laughter..)

That'll be a diary. Bet you 50p.

I think there is (there should be) something in the brief that asks for a three-page limit on sketches. If you can read yours out (without interruptions from a Radio Theatre audience) and it's over 2.15 I reckon you should be cutting!

thats a long sketch! Although the sponge sketch this series was quite long too. My diary entry was a page

Speaking of tweets...anyone here use 'sexy music' in their sketch?

"It's always an insight into your studio manager's psyche when you put "GRAMS: sexy music" in the script and then leave them to it."

Yeah, I think they've said in the web chats that 3 pages is getting pretty long. I try to keep under two unless there's lots of speakers/sound effect cues which make it look longer then it'll take to perform.

Yeah, diary sketch seems a good guess.