Newsjack - Series 6 Page 26

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ February 28 2012, 5:43 PM GMT

I took it to mean, take a single story and try and make a short sketch like joke out of it where it builds up to a punch line on the third lesson.

I think they just mean a maximum of three "lessons" learned from the week's news (the same or different stories). For example, "Don't try to look down the German Chancellor's top if you're carrying a tray full of beer". (Except funny.)

Did anyone spot the story about packets of chewing gum being targeted by thieves because they are used as small change in Romania?
I used it for a one-liner but hope no Romanians out there are offended.

Quote: Blinkered @ February 28 2012, 7:39 PM GMT

Did anyone spot the story about packets of chewing gum being targeted by thieves because they are used as small change in Romania?

I did, it's a great story. I'm sure there was a good Euro joke in there somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Quote: Garry Lee @ February 28 2012, 7:53 PM GMT

I did, it's a great story. I'm sure there was a good Euro joke in there somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Should have opened the rapper.

Good luck all. Anyone else every looked back over previously subbed stuff and thought 'what the hell was I thinking?!'. Wish I could travel back and slap myself.

Quote: Worth @ February 28 2012, 8:02 PM GMT

Good luck all. Anyone else every looked back over previously subbed stuff and thought 'what the hell was I thinking?!'. Wish I could travel back and slap myself.

I more struggle with knowing I've written some structurally sound jokes, but don't whether or not their actually funny.

Quote: Blinkered @ February 28 2012, 7:39 PM GMT

I used it for a one-liner but hope no Romanians out there are offended.

Yeah I read that and submitted this for last week's show;

I heard that people are reportedly stealing chewing gum to use as currency in Romania?! Nah...that won't stick in court

Unfortunately it didn't get on :(

Quote: Garry Lee @ February 28 2012, 7:05 PM GMT

I saw your tweet and considered it just to spite you. :P

Haha. I think it spread a bit anyway, I'm not the only one I guess!

Quote: radiat10n @ February 27 2012, 2:17 PM GMT

Speaking of which - Big Jack, did you enquire about last week's joke that was virtually identical to your credit from an earlier series??

No I didn't - but as Ian Wolf would say, "...but I did get two things on last week..."

Might mention it when I reply to Ed's email.

Quote: groovydude89 @ February 28 2012, 4:13 PM GMT

What I actually meant was:

If a writer sends in a couple of sketches which really impress the team, and lead them to think that he/she is good enough to be offered a job opportunity - would they be able to look back on that person's earlier Newsjack submissions?

Or to put it another way:

Is there a folder with my name on it on Newsjack's computer, containing all of the shite I've submitted to date?

They have gone on record to say that there are certain non-comms they remember and are pleased when submissions arrive - so, while there isn't a "file", if you are consistently sending in good stuff (including that which doesn't air) then they will know you.

Was the success of BCG members last week unusual? It seemed a very good hit rate.

Think the process of collective feedback is really useful. It just doesn't work me having to explain the stories behind every joke to my wife before I tell it (and then explaining why it might possibly be funny afterwards).

I submitted 9 one-liners and 1 sketch this week so look forward to getting some opinions after Thursday.

Possibly a bit higher than some weeks, but there always seems to be a couple of BCGers on the credits list.

I've heard mention of NewsRevue and Weekending but know nothing of the opportunities therein. Anyone fancy bringing me up to speed? Ta

Quote: Nodz @ February 29 2012, 9:13 AM GMT

Was the success of BCG members last week unusual? It seemed a very good hit rate.

Think the process of collective feedback is really useful. It just doesn't work me having to explain the stories behind every joke to my wife before I tell it (and then explaining why it might possibly be funny afterwards).

I submitted 9 one-liners and 1 sketch this week so look forward to getting some opinions after Thursday.

I think slightly higher than normal but as RJ said a good number from this thread usually make it on each episode. Someone did a full round up for Series 4 so have a look back at that thread (near the end) if you want to see how it pans out over a series.

On explaining the news story you can get away with it a bit on Newsjack using Justin's intros. It's particularly useful or some of the more obscure stories that people might not have heard, just make sure you put some sort of joke in the intro.

Oh and congrats to Jon Bounds who should be happy this week!

weekending was the legendary radio 4 open talent show that ran pretty much all year.

It has been gone for many years.

News Revue is a london topical sketch stage show that uses unsolicited material. Look 'em up on BCG there's loads of threads about them.

Quote: Burnt Out Hack @ February 29 2012, 11:25 AM GMT

I've heard mention of NewsRevue and Weekending but know nothing of the opportunities therein. Anyone fancy bringing me up to speed? Ta

I'll tell you about Treason as that's my favourite of these shows. Someone else can fill you in about NewsRevue and I fear you're about 10 years too late for Weekending! (Weekending was a cross between Newsjack and the Now Show on Radio 4 in that new writers could submit).

Treason is Brighton's equivalent of NewsRevue and they have a show every 6-8 weeks. See here for more information: http://www.treasonshow.co.uk/team/writers.shtml

To join the writers list you need to send in two pieces of work and there's full info on guide on submissions here: http://www.treasonshow.co.uk/team/writeguide.shtml

If you can get down to see a show it really helps but that might not be that easy! Otherwise there's a few clips on their website.