Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2011

Well, another year, another Big Fat Quiz. Did anybody watch and if so, thoughts?

Personally, not as funny for me as the last few years. I don't think the panellists had as good of a chemistry as they have had in the past. I found Izzard to be particularly boring, and while David (Mitchell) had some great moments, I think he had less to work with this year.

Noel Fielding and Russell Brand pulled off the "we're not really trying and just in it for a laugh" role much better than David Walliams and Miranda Hart did this year I thought. They got a bit tiresome with constantly repeating the Richard Keys thing.

Then there was Jamie Oliver, who, while not particularly bad, was just not a good choice I think.

I think the funniest moment was when David Mitchell said "...And the Queen is dead." at the end. I don't know why Miranda Hart and David Mitchell weren't teamed up together, as I've got the impression that they are actually good friends in real life. It certainly would have been better than Izzard/Mitchell as they had absolutely no repertoire with each other whatsoever.

I thought that Izzard and Mitchell were okay, both were funny without constantly trying to hog the limelight like a certain Mr Walliams.

Miranda was, unfortunately, influenced by Walliams and the two were particularly tiresome, it was like watching a comedy writer churn out jokes with the usual hit rate of 99% of them being unfunny, something I like to call "doing a Phil Jupitus" i.e. say as much as you possibly can so that you'll appear in the lion's share of the programme once it is edited.

Personally I would've made Izzard, Mitchell and Ross the captains and then included one more comedian and two celebs. Having too many comic egos on screen just means that everyone fights for stage time (see also "Mock The Week") which is a very unpleasant sight.

Also Jimmy Carr needs to stop laughing at absolutely everything, it just makes him look like a grinning simpleton.

I would pretty much agree with Tony Cowards - comedy answers are a part of this quiz, but they should be reserved for when they actually don't know the answer. Some of the funniest moments in recent years have been when people actually start getting competitive about it, which was totally removed by one team purely messing around. Having one team there so desperately trying to make every answer funny got very boring.

I also definitely thought Mitchell/Izzard were the best two, but not necessarily that good together as a team.

Why was Mitchell beardy?

I don't normally watch these, they too drawn out. But I watched bits of this one. It was quite funny to my surprise.

Quote: zooo @ December 28 2011, 6:50 PM GMT

Why was Mitchell beardy?

Because he is of sound, manly mind.

;) Perhaps because Victoria Coren likes them??

Ooh, maybe!

Quote: zooo @ December 28 2011, 6:50 PM GMT

Why was Mitchell beardy?

My initial thought was "David Mitchell's face, sponsored by Bulldog, skincare for men".

Quote: Tony Cowards @ December 28 2011, 10:44 AM GMT

Miranda was, unfortunately, influenced by Walliams and the two were particularly tiresome, it was like watching a comedy writer churn out jokes with the usual hit rate of 99% of them being unfunny, something I like to call "doing a Phil Jupitus" i.e. say as much as you possibly can so that you'll appear in the lion's share of the programme once it is edited.

...and shouting it very loudly.

Walliams always seems a serious bloke that does "silly comedy" and doesn't like other people being the center of attention.

Ross worked well with Davina one year but not so much with Jamie Oliver this year I guess they were teamed to make speech impediment gags.

Missed Noel and Russell but they needed to try other people to see how it went.

I've really disliked Walliams since his last appearance in which he was just incredibly moody.
His entire routine seems to be, 'LOL I APPEAR TO BE GAY, BUT I'D FUCK THAT WOMAN. LOL GAY JOKES'