The Sitcom Trials 2012

Sitcom Trials Bristol 2012 - actors & writers wanted

The Sitcom Trials is about to return to Bristol in 2012, would you like to be part of it?

Vince Stadon (author of one of 2011's winners of the Manchester Sitcom Trials, Checkpoint Dave) has taken hold of the reins of Producer for The Sitcom Trials spring season in Bristol and is interested in hearing from actors who would like to perform comedy, and writers who would like to see their comedy performed.

Contact Vince at stadonclan@hotmail.com and he'll be in touch about planned meetings and shows in Bristol. Oh, and I'll be involved too, how could I resist?

Sitcom Trials ITV series

The first Sitcom Trials took place in Bristol (and very shortly after in London) in 1999, and our ITV series was broadcast live from the HTV Studios in Bristol in 2003. The last Bristol Sitcom Trials was way back in September 2005 so, following the success of the recent London & Manchester seasons, it's ripe for a revival.

The cast of Checkpoint Dave, Sitcom Trials winner 2011

If you need reminding about the fine work of The Sitcom Trials in the past, check out the videos and details at http://sitcomttrials.co.uk

Vince and I look forward to meeting a new team of comedic talents, welcome on board.

Kev F Sutherland
Executive Producer The Sitcom Trials

In anticipation of the return of The Sitcom Trials in 2012, I'm posting some treats from the Trials archives online. Here, from the first series of the TV series, is James Holmes in his solo sitcom The World of Jimmy James...

2001's Edinburgh Sitcom Trials had starred Miranda Hart in her sitcom set in a novelty shop. When, as Miranda, that format found itself as a popular series on BBC TV, James Holmes went on to take the co-starring role originated on stage by Dan Clegg. The Sitcom Trials returns in 2012, writers and performers are welcomed. Stay tuned for details.

Here's a delightful little find, from the website of film maker Anna Bennetts. Her sitcom, The Same Paige, was staged in The Sitcom Trials a few years ago, and now she's made a film version of it which is in a competition for which you, dear reader, can watch it online and cast a vote.

Check out her blog here and follow the instructions.

And if you fancy yourself as the creator of the Next Paige, the Sitcom Trials is returning in 2012. Watch this space for details.

Well, apparently I thought The Same Paige was 'good and had its funny moments' at the time.

Dan

Sitcom Trials fans who only know Simon Wright as the esteemed co-producer, with Declan Hill, of the Sitcom Trials 07-09 stage shows, and later the Sitcom Mission, should remember that he is also a fine actor with a brilliant comic touch. This episode from the archives shows Simon at his best, appearing in both of the competing sitcoms:

The competing sitcoms, and the endings of both (one of which was broadcast on the night and one of which is being seen for the first time now) are here:

Perfect 10 by Rich Johnston Football by Bowdler & Manning Winner a Winner b

When's the deadline?

Quote: catskillz @ January 6 2012, 2:43 AM GMT

When's the deadline?

Sorry Catskillz, Vince in Bristol and Lisa in Manchester haven't announced dates of their next shows so we haven't got deadlines for script submissions yet. And the London shows are even further down the line.

In the meantime I'm keeping The Sitcom Trials alive on the list with blog posts and videos so that, hopefully, when the call comes for scripts, you'll all be champing at the bit. Bristol news will be coming soon, promise.

In the meantime, console yourself with this novelty item. How Lee from Steps was in The Sitcom Trials...*

*Link re-edited. Apologies to anyone who clicked that link last night to find it linked to a totally different article. It now takes you to the Lee From Steps non-story.

PS: And here's another blast from the past, a report on the Hollywood Sitcom Trials

A treat from the archives, brand new to YouTube. Neil Mullarkey, Suki Webster, Niall Ashdown and Richard Vranch of The Comedy Store Players star in The Sitcom Trials.

Two Improvised Sitcoms go head-to-head, who wins? You decide (assuming you were viewing when this went out live. Phone lines are now closed). The Sitcom Trials first TV series was broadcast live at around 11.30 on Friday nights, with the actors only learning which sitcom's ending they'd be performing during the ad break. Live skin-of-the-teeth television at its best.

The Sitcom Trials is the comedy show where brand new sitcoms compete and the audience vote for the winner. Format copyright ©2012 Kev F Sutherland http://sitcomtrials.co.uk

Hi, Kev,
I am in Australia. Am I eligible to submit a script, even though I cannot be there?

Quote: ToddB @ January 10 2012, 12:40 PM GMT

Hi, Kev,
I am in Australia. Am I eligible to submit a script, even though I cannot be there?

Yes indeed, as soon as there's a call for scripts, they're welcome from anyone anywhere.

And talking of Australia, I'll be there myself in little over a month, performing with The Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre at the Adelaide Fringe. Do spread the word to anyone you know who might be able to make it would you?

Thanks.

Hi Kev
What type of sketches will you be wanting, and length etc?
Shirley

Quote: ShirleyMcFurley @ January 11 2012, 10:13 PM GMT

Hi Kev
What type of sketches will you be wanting, and length etc?
Shirley

When (and I must admit it feels a bit like "if" at the moment, but trust me, it's a when) when the call goes out, it will be for sitcoms. That is to say short scripts that have the potential to be developed into sitcoms. The Trials was designed to test out sitcom writing, and that's what it'll carry on doing. Quite what format the scripts will be wanted in, whether the "Cliffhanger" format the Trials is best known for or something else (and we have included most things from sketches, double acts, full half hour episodes and sock puppet theatre before now) will be up to the teams producing the shows.

All I can say is stay tuned, we'll try and make it worth the wait.

Kev F http://sitcomtrials.co.uk

Thanks, Kev, and - not being creepy - but you do know me from a past life. I'll PM you.

S

PS Don't worry I'm happily married.

Here you go, and this is a rarity, a video clip from the Sitcom Trials that's genuinely laugh out loud funny.

The Comedy Store Players do "The Crew" in the Sitcom Trials

I jest, lots of the Sitcom Trials is side-splitting. This is just that tiny bit above average (and I just watched it for the first time in 8 years and found it hilarious).

Quote: Kev F @ January 11 2012, 10:38 PM GMT

When (and I must admit it feels a bit like "if" at the moment, but trust me, it's a when) when the call goes out, it will be for sitcoms. That is to say short scripts that have the potential to be developed into sitcoms. The Trials was designed to test out sitcom writing, and that's what it'll carry on doing. Quite what format the scripts will be wanted in, whether the "Cliffhanger" format the Trials is best known for or something else (and we have included most things from sketches, double acts, full half hour episodes and sock puppet theatre before now) will be up to the teams producing the shows.

All I can say is stay tuned, we'll try and make it worth the wait.

Kev F http://sitcomtrials.co.uk

It is indeed definitely happening, and I'll be posting details of the March 2012 Bristol Sitcom Trials script competition around the 20th of January (which is, entirely coincidentally, Tom Baker's birthday), which will answer all those questions, and pose new ones (such as: "What's the collective noun for camels?").

--Vince Stadon