Worst autobiography Page 3

;) What's that about?

Groucho Marx's autobiography is a cracker. Unsurprisingly full of funny stuff but also some interesting insights into a showbiz world now long consigned to the annals of history.

He likes to talk about how much cash he was making as his career progressed but rather than this being irritating the inner accountant can't help pondering inflation and such like. A bit like the Big Mac Index in the Economist, he measures everything against the price of black bread.

Well worth a read. Especially regarding the truth (or at least his version of the truth) about a few Marx Bros myths and the like. Chico a major gambler, Harpo having red hair... it's all there in black and white. Just like his films really.

My only criticism is that at no point in the book does he explain why he always makes me think of Frank Zappa. Still, maybe he'll write a sequel.

EDIT: SORRY MY MISTAKE!!! just dawned on me that this thread is about the worst autobiography. to dig myself out of an inadvertent off-topic post, it was definitely the worst autobiography I have read with regard to the condition it was in. About 48th hand. Even the sellotape was falling apart.

Admittedly I haven't read Michael McIntyre's autobiography and to be frank I have no interest in ever doing so. However, this chap has and when I read his review I thought about this thread:

http://dailysensible.co.uk/michael-mcintyre-life-and-laughing-review

Why have they used such an awful quality pic of his book?

Maybe it's an artistic statement. Crap on the outside, crap on the inside...

Ha, maybe.

Have just finished reading the Little Britain autobiography from a few years ago.

Not the worst thing I've ever read but so repetitive...

The papers accused David of being a womanizer but it was completely untrue.
The papers gave the 3rd series bad reviews but they were completely unfair.
The papers accused David of being gay but it was completely untrue.
The papers gave the live show bad reviews but they were completely unfair.

I came out of it with a lower opinion of them than before...

I picked up a copy of Ricky Gervais's bio from The Works a while back and the way it is written gives the impression of it all being done in isolation and the only interview conducted was with a certain Mr Google. I don't normally bother with such things but I was compelled to write a review for Amazon...

The story so far is obviously now a little dated since its mid-decade publication but it is still quite an interesting account of Ricky's life up to that point. That is, it's interesting if you don't know much about the man other than he was that guy in 'The Office'.

This is a bit of a let down if you are a real fan as you don't feel that the author has spoken with anyone involved with Ricky's career whatsoever. All the research could've been conducted from home using the Internet.

I was yearning for an exclusive quote from someone but everything was reproduced (with careful, yet tedious, acknowledgement) from other sources. That's OK if you are writing as a fan in a magazine article but this feels overblown and stretches itself beyond breaking.

If you can pick this up for a couple of quid and are only interested in The Office this might be worth a punt but if you want to know more about Gervais as a person, don't bother - all you'll find is the public face.

I once read 'Oops there go his trousers' by Ian Carmichael impersonator Derrick Nemmo.

In one chapter he mentions the time he head butted Bob Monkhouse outside Sir Lou Grades house. Apparently the now dead prolific gagster thought it was the real Ian Carmichael, who happened to owe Bob a few bob.

The whole chapter is mad and even mentions the much refuted fight between Dora Bryan and Harry Corbbet outside the Criterion.

Anything written by any comedian or comedy writer under 30.

30? quid? age? or weight?

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ September 27 2012, 1:00 PM BST

30? quid? age? or weight?

Age most definitely age

You could read 'Where the f**ks my card' the autobiography of leap year born midlands comedian Manny Minny Meadows.
Technically he's 29 and his recollection of the the blitz and alleged maiming of Tommy Trinder is hilarious!

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ September 27 2012, 1:15 PM BST

You could read 'Where the f**ks my card' the autobiography of leap year born midlands comedian Manny Minny Meadows.
Technically he's 29 and his recollection of the the blitz and alleged maiming of Tommy Trinder is hilarious!

Ah yes the maiming of Tommy Trinder wasn't that an accident involving Arthur Askey, a mango, a sharp stick, and Max Geldray's harmonica.

Geldray played the comb and died of numb lips in Blackpool Royal Infirmary & Petting Zoo.

The infamous fight with Trinder was over Hitlers demand for Lebensruam in the Sudetenand.

Trinder who was a closet transvestite and communist (He used to dress as Stalin's wife)detested Hitler and hit Manny from behind with a coal scuttle in a boarding house they were sharing in Eastbourne during their legendary stint in the towns pantomime 'Snow White and The Nazis'