Three Of A Kind

I recently got all 3 series of this show on DVD, and am really enjoying it. Exactly what a sketch show should be, in my mind. A couple of recurring characters (but no more than once per episode), and then they're only recurring because they are strong enough and versatile enough to work with new material. As with anything there's some dodgy bits, but on the whole it's really good, and there's always a nice laugh.

Anyone else got the DVDs, or maybe remember it? Starred Lenny Henry, Tracey Ullman and David Copperfield, and ran from 1981 - 1983.

DVDs:

Series 1

Series 2

Series 3

I've not watched it lately but I remember thinking atthe time that it was very hit and miss. Almost seemed a slightly younger version of Not the Nine O'Clock News.

I never rated that David Copperfield but of course Tracey and Lenny were naturally funny.

Tracy Ullman is worth 60 million dollars now.

I can't afford her then!!!!

Tracey Ullman is a great actress. She was amazing in that film with Kevin Klein 'Love You To Death'. Well I think it was called that. Based on a true story of a wife trying to kill her unfaithfull husband.

Not a big fan of 3 of a kind though.

She went to the same school as Ulrika Johnsson (sp). And my parents.

Not at the same time though.

I used to enjoy Three Of A Kind around 82 and 83. My favourite was the Medallion Man, played by David Copperfield, as a down-on-his-luck smoothie, who was years behind in the fashion stakes, prowling the cocktail bars, preying on Tracy Ullman as his target, with a "Well, hey hey hey, baby...wanna come back to mine?"

After continually rebuffing his advances, she would invariably be rescued by the bouncer, played by Lenny Henry, with Medallion Man getting chucked out.

I loved it when it was on.
But much like the Kenny Everett shows, it was the right programme for my age at the time and wouldn't be anything I'd watch now unless for nostalgic reasons.

Quote: Chappers @ July 2 2007, 1:34 AM GMT

I never rated that David Copperfield

Bleak House is funnier...

Finally tracked down the vinyl Three of a Kind album. Expect a photo as soon as I can find my camera.

Enjoyed this when it came out, no idea how it'd come across now. David later had his own series and it was a lead balloon if I recall.

David Copperfield went down the children's entertainer route, 'Lift Off! With Coppers and Co!' which wasn't exactly a smash hit.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ July 1 2011, 6:24 PM BST

Enjoyed this when it came out, no idea how it'd come across now.

Having watched the whole series on DVD recently I'd say it's still funnier than most modern TV sketch shows.

Three of a Kind was around the time of the Bobby Davro shows and Copycats and stuff like that on ITV. If I remember the credits would read Written by Kim Fuller with...then list all the other people who'd got something on. The material was top quality. I saw David Copperfield do an hour at Blazers and stand the audience up followed by Lenny Henry who died on his proverbial.
Dawn French was in the audience and this would have been around the time LH was told to stop being funny.
Kim Fuller wrote for Lenny Henry for a long time and he also went to Hollywood to work on Tracy Ullman shows. He's the brother of Simon Fuller who made up the Spice Girls and I imagine Kim is back in Los Angeles.

Here you go, as promised, the Three of a Kind album.