Red Dwarf Page 2

Doctor Who was painful, and much of it is now too. It wasn't that they were so much strapped for cash as it just wasn't economical or worthwhile continuing production at that point.

And you really should just forget about the film. A malicious rumour propagated by militant fans in the hope of inspiring something in the producers. Probably. Just tell yourself that, and it'll be an even nicer surprise if it ever is made.

Quote: Aaron @ July 2, 2007, 7:26 AM

you really should just forget about the film. A malicious rumour propagated by militant fans in the hope of inspiring something in the producers. Probably. Just tell yourself that, and it'll be an even nicer surprise if it ever is made.

The idea of the RD film has become a bit of an Urban Legend!

I still think one day it will be made, however I suspect that it wont have the original RD cast as they will all be old and past it and probably have a cameo role in the background - a bit like Marvin the robot in Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy...

;)

Shut up. Don't go there. That travesty shall NOT BE MENTIONED on this board!

Quote: Aaron @ July 2, 2007, 9:45 PM

Shut up. Don't go there. That travesty shall NOT BE MENTIONED on this board!

Whoops!

Sorry! I forgot you weren't a big fan of that film!

I have both the original BBC TV series and the film on DVD (had the BBC DVD way before the film was released) and enjoy them both! Douglas Adams was heavily involved in the film so it it as true a picture of what was in his mind as anything ever could be.

Anyway I promise I wont mention it any more...

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

;)

No no no, the film was completely re-written umpteen times after DNA died. Utter travesty! I refuse to acknowledge its existence.

*weeps as he remembers the pain he suffered*

Quote: Aaron @ July 2, 2007, 10:12 PM

No no no, the film was completely re-written umpteen times after DNA died. Utter travesty! I refuse to acknowledge its existence.

*weeps as he remembers the pain he suffered*

I stand corrected!

:)

(I agree that the appearance of Marvin was amazing though. The one high-point, for me.)

I'll admit DNA had an amazing knack for one-liners, he wrote some of the best I've ever read but oddly some of the worst too. Some cringe-worthy ones, but I guess if you write so many then some will miss. The film was hideous. Not something to woo a newbie to DNA material.

I'm a stickler for watching films all the way through even if I realise they are fly-blown carcasses. Only two films I've ever turned off, fight club because I couldn't see the point of the Tyler Durdan character (i found him loathsome and too evil) although I was persuaded to rewatch it and since rate it as brilliant, mainly because I reached the moment at which the Durdan character is unravelled.

The other was HHGTTG. Not even Freeman could save it. It was high gloss special effect shite of the highest calibre. After a fantastic start, the plot was feeble beyond belief. When the whale appeared in the atmosphere, I thought that DNA was getting lazy and just throwing in as surreal an image as he could just for comic effect. Surreal really has to serve a purpose or else you can just throw in "and a penguin skated across the skin of his cooling tomato soup" or any other random sentence to generate a 'laugh'. Surreal needs to make you think. It's paradoxically not the juxtoposition of random items but the clever juxtoposition of well-thought out objects.

DNA's genius was in the one-liner, the surreal was added (i suspect) to make it appeal to the 'students' which is where i was inducted into the books.

As to RD film, please God no. I loved the show but it's past. If the movie came out then they'd certainly reprise the Kachansky part and give it to that hideously feeble actress who made such a good job of euthanising the series and hiding its body under the floorboards.

Better to imagine what might have been than rue the fact that they left us with a sour taste.

I'm the opposite. I'm a film nut, but I have a really annoying habit of giving a film a 15 minute window of opportunity to "hook" me, if it doesn't, off it goes.

It annoys all my mates, but if I were to sit and watch a film I wasn't enjoying, I'd be thinking, "This is rubbish, This is rubbish, This is rubbish, This is rubbish, This is rubbish. Oh, what a waste of film!! Give me the film and the budget, don't waste it on this bollocks!".

Quote: SlagA @ July 2, 2007, 10:56 PM

The other was HHGTTG. Not even Freeman could save it. It was high gloss special effect shite of the highest calibre. After a fantastic start, the plot was feeble beyond belief. When the whale appeared in the atmosphere, I thought that DNA was getting lazy and just throwing in as surreal an image as he could just for comic effect. Surreal really has to serve a purpose or else you can just throw in "and a penguin skated across the skin of his cooling tomato soup" or any other random sentence to generate a 'laugh'. Surreal needs to make you think. It's paradoxically not the juxtoposition of random items but the clever juxtoposition of well-thought out objects.

DNA's genius was in the one-liner, the surreal was added (i suspect) to make it appeal to the 'students' which is where i was inducted into the books.

Laughing out loud Really couldn't have put it better myself. There were a few good moments, but it raped and IMO completely missed the point of the book (well, radio series). Some of the greatest lines and scenes were lost entirely, with third-rate Yank-penned bollocks thrust in others. Even what was included was often totally out of context and ill-explained, the whale being one case in point.
From what I recall, there were all of 2 or 3 'appearances' of the book - and all within the first half an hour or so. Despite the utter crap that we were given from the very beginning underpinning the story (token black guy, whole Ford intro scenes, etc), it actually was just about tolerable. But then they just seemed to run out of interest and/or money about half way through, and it went even further downhill.

My blood's boiling just thinking about it.

Quote: Ydna @ June 30, 2007, 9:28 PM

Does nobody remember the classics???
Red Dwarf was great!
They said there would be a movie yet nothing has come from that rumor!
Anyone up for a thread pertition?
I own every Series! England

Andy Cool

Dwarf was great up until they brought back the crew - possibly when they had that woman join. I thought the whole premise of the thing, men without women, was excellent, simply because it was kind of like a sci-fi Porridge.

Once they tried to expand the cast and mess with the idea they left on a mission up their own arse.

I'll admit DNA had an amazing knack for one-liners, he wrote some of the best I've ever read but oddly some of the worst too. Some cringe-worthy ones, but I guess if you write so many then some will miss. The film was hideous. Not something to woo a newbie to DNA material.

I'm a stickler for watching films all the way through even if I realise they are fly-blown carcasses. Only two films I've ever turned off, fight club because I couldn't see the point of the Tyler Durdan character (i found him loathsome and too evil) although I was persuaded to rewatch it and since rate it as brilliant, mainly because I reached the moment at which the Durdan character is unravelled.

As to RD film, please God no. I loved the show but it's past. If the movie came out then they'd certainly reprise the Kachansky part and give it to that hideously feeble actress who made such a good job of euthanising the series and hiding its body under the floorboards.

Better to imagine what might have been than rue the fact that they left us with a sour taste.

If you rea Hitchhiker you realise what a last chance saloon Douglas was in. he was either going to make this work of go and be a body guard in Hong Kong. He was a mysterious man, genius and clown, really. I never met him, but he died on my Birthday which was a downer.

When I was a kid I got a radio for my ninth birthday and I remember tuning into something - I didn't know what it was - and wanting more. It was Hitchikers. Since then I was hooked. This was something that was funny, well executed and possibly the only sci-fi comedy to work in all the genres (apart from the Martin Freeman film) it was put into. I still have the first editions of the book, which I carried around school for years.

Anyone wanting to write sci-fi comedy should read it because it covers so much ground, yet leaves so much for the reader to delight in working out for themselves. Some of the best comedy does this; it draws you in so you work otu the joke rather than some of the more tag/punchline shows of latter years

Quote: Aaron @ July 2, 2007, 7:26 AM

Doctor Who was painful, and much of it is now too. It wasn't that they were so much strapped for cash as it just wasn't economical or worthwhile continuing production at that point.

And you really should just forget about the film. A malicious rumour propagated by militant fans in the hope of inspiring something in the producers. Probably. Just tell yourself that, and it'll be an even nicer surprise if it ever is made.

Dr.Who rocks.

but back to red dwarf...
You'd think they could get enough cash together to do at least a one hour special to wrap it all up and give us a happy ending or something... even if it's set ten years later or something...

(and yes the HGTTG movie was the worst film ever made)

If the movie came out then they'd certainly reprise the Kachansky part and give it to that hideously feeble actress who made such a good job of euthanising the series and hiding its body under the floorboards.

Bit of a double-edged sword for me. Yes, she did kill the series' she was in but she was also an instrumental part of my teenage years - if you see what I'm saying

Quote: Greg Sammons @ July 3, 2007, 5:07 PM

Bit of a double-edged sword for me. Yes, she did kill the series' she was in but she was also an instrumental part of my teenage years - if you see what I'm saying

Totally.

It's a shame... Douglas Adams spent so long trying to get a big budget movie made of HHGTTG... and waiting until technology could catch up with his ideas. And then died, of course, before seeing it come to fruition. Perhaps that's just as well though...

He didn't really appreciate the low budget of the BBC TV series... but when it was first shown, I didn't think about how some of the effects and sets weren't up to much (although I'm sure they were more than fine, for the time), I just thought it was fun and funny... and exciting.

Admittedly, the show looks a little ropey now but it stil knocks spots off the movie for content and warmth... and the humour that only DNA could write in that special way of his.

In the same vein for RD, I just can't see how any movie could make a difference. What would be the point?