Roseanne

Love this U.S sitcom. One of the funniest,groundbreaking and innovative sitcoms there has ever been.

Series 9 was a bit dodgy.

Anyone else like it?

Loved it. One of my favourites when I was a kid. Any cheap boxsets spotted please share!

You can get all 9 series on a massive 37 discs for under £50, I paid £46.99 last year, was well worth it. Ebay is a good place for it as well.

Will research and do some Christmas list begging! Cheers

Hated the very last episode. But loved the rest!
Grew up on this and The Cosby Show.

Liked it for breaking conventions and the fourth wall (especially the different Becky actresses coming and going). It's dirt cheap on DVD in Australia but I haven't yet felt the overwhelming urge to buy it.

i liked this as a kid so recently bought season 1

found it really boring unfortunately

gave it away to a charity shop!

Quote: lofthouse @ November 6 2011, 3:43 PM GMT

i liked this as a kid so recently bought season 1

found it really boring unfortunately

gave it away to a charity shop!

The first series isn't the best, it's still finding it's feet an settling in. It kicks in really well after that. Series 3-7 are probably where it excelled itself.

I liked Roseanne, one of the few US sitcoms I really liked. Goodman saved it from being too Roseanny, I felt, he's also a very good actor. Roseanne Barr reminds me a bit of Jennifer Saunders in her acting style, loud and camera hogging, so it needed another big star to balance it out. It was very funny.

I liked it - and I did not even mind series nine. Roseanne had acquired the rights to my known favourite, "Absolutely Fabulous", but had not been able to get it made. Instead, she had Roseanne and Jackie win the lottery and embark on a series of cashed up, self-indulgent antics, worthy of Edina and Patsy - and then, in the Halloween episode, the two daffy British socialites, in the flesh, staggered in...

I loved all the series apart from when they won the lottery. I thought that was too contrived.

The episode where DJ and father had a chat about masturbation is a classic.

If you go into series 9 with an open mind you can enjoy it. The only episode throughout the whole 9 series which I can't abide is the 1950's episode. Terrible.

The final episode is a bit hit and miss. Not bad, but pretty poor to kill Dan off and pretend the whole thing was a book. Almost like a budget version of Dallas. Come to think of it, it's probably where she got the idea.

What other sitcoms feature characters that aren't one dimensional, have individual personalities, separate needs, wills, loves and throws in enough controversy to keep the government's P.R department in jobs for 50 years.

Some have come close, but few have matched Roseanne. It was an innovative and daring sitcom. It dares you to watch, calling you chicken from the sidelines.

Wasn't sure if I should take this out of stasis or start a new thread but I discovered today that a new series of Roseanne has been confirmed for 2018 and I can't wait. I loved the show but I didn't see every episode of every series so this is a good reason to get the box set and catch up. Very exiting that all the major actors are returning in particuar Sarah Chalke who is an excellent comedy actor and Laurie Metcalf because it wouldn't be the same without her as Jackie. It will also have the original Darlene and D.J as well which almost sounds too good to be true. I'm the youngest of three so I knew exactly what D.J had to put up with :D Now that everyone has committed I hope nobody drops out.

It was a very funny show and wasn't afraid to touch on serious subjects like the Fresh Prince Of Bel Air did. Not every episode had to end with laughter because that wasn't real family life.

I'm so looking forward to this.
And it has both Beckys!
I know I could just google, but I can't imagine what a grown up DJ looks like.

I saw a photo of DJ at a reunion from a few years ago and he looked like Henry Rollins!