Mimes

They do it a lot on QI, and I wish they wouldn't. To me and many others, mimes are more often than not extremely annoying. Why is this?

Eh? What sort of mimes?

Why are they annoying or why do they do it on QI? I say anyone who doesn't like Sootyj's mimes (mimers??) is just jealous ;)

I don't know what we're talking about! People in facepaint who irritate you when you're trying to get past in busy public places? To my knowledge no-one on QI has ever done that to me

Quote: AJGO @ October 27 2011, 8:53 PM BST

I don't know what we're talking about! People in facepaint who irritate you when you're trying to get past in busy public places? To my knowledge no-one on QI has ever done that to me

Marcel Marceau is miming turning in his grave...

Quote: Tim Azure @ October 28 2011, 10:39 AM BST

Marcel Marceau is miming turning in his grave...

That's one box he won't have to pretend to be trapped inside.

I think they saved on a coffin and just buried him with his facing outwards.

'face'?

"You've won a Blankety Blank cheque book and pen!"

Dan

Laughing out loud

Quote: AJGO @ October 27 2011, 8:53 PM BST

It's not the facepaint that makes a mime, it's the silent actions. Alan Davies is a particular offender, but on the last QI both Brian Cox (who may be clever but certainly aint funny) and Sue Perkins simultaneously mimed a big pepper grinder to hilarious effect, and by hilarious I do of course mean crushingly unfunny. Marcel Marceau has been mentioned, and in decades past he has been quite rightly vilified for his crimes against non-awfulness.

Quote: Nogget @ October 27 2011, 6:49 PM BST

They do it a lot on QI, and I wish they wouldn't. To me and many others, mimes are more often than not extremely annoying. Why is this?

Surely all they're doing is making movements with their hands, not playing Give Us A Clue... Don't you move your hands when you talk, Nogget?

Quote: Tim Azure @ October 28 2011, 7:10 PM BST

Surely all they're doing is making movements with their hands, not playing Give Us A Clue...

No, they do more than that, they're miming.

Quote: Tim Azure @ October 28 2011, 7:10 PM BST

Don't you move your hands when you talk, Nogget?

Funny enough, while I'm writing this to you, I am moving my hands; guilty as charged. And cos I'm in the bog, I'm also moving my bowels.

But they're not talking...they're miming, silently. Perhaps it's the silence which makes it so annoying?

It was a bit annoying when both Sue and Brian Cox both did the pepper grinding at the same time! But I don't mind Alan doing it, I never even really notice.

Ooh, Alan might be psychic. He just mentioned being a mime.

I've noticed Joe Wilkinson does some quite protracted mimes on '8 out of 10 cats'. I like it, I find his facial expressions really funny.