Dangerous fake email scams Page 33

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 24th May 2021, 9:16 PM

Someone taking the piss.

Hoping to. :)

STILL, I'm getting fake renewal notices for supposedly McAfee AV software. Those f**kers won't give up, the bastards.

Today's effort must be the 6th one I have had in as many weeks, each one getting more urgent (!!!)

Yet again, telling me it expires in "0 DAYS REMAINING"

Sounds like M R James, Casting the Runes.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th June 2021, 4:05 PM

STILL, I'm getting fake renewal notices for supposedly McAfee AV software. Those f**kers won't give up, the bastards.

Today's effort must be the 6th one I have had in as many weeks, each one getting more urgent (!!!)

So, John McAfee commits suicide - I hope it wasn't my posts on this thread that upset him. :(

You should read the story of John McAfee. He knew he was going to be topped.
He even had a tattoo put on his arm saying 'I was whacked'

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd June 2021, 11:20 PM

So, John McAfee commits suicide - I hope it wasn't my posts on this thread that upset him. :(

Well, he hasn't given up. This is my last day apparently.

The problem with anti-malware software is that the relevant companies producing them become dependent of the fees obtained selling the service/software. In other words they develop a vested interest in keeping the system going, so in the (possibly unlikely) event that someone develops a truly effective method of preventing malware attacks the anti-malware companies would go bust, so they are likely to buy up and suppress the tool.

We, the public, would never know that a brilliant anti-malware tool had been invented.

Such software needs an entirely different method of financial support, one that provides an incentive to permanently prevent exploits.

Quote: billwill @ 30th June 2021, 5:45 PM

The problem with anti-malware software is that the relevant companies producing them become dependent of the fees obtained selling the service/software. In other words they develop a vested interest in keeping the system going, so in the (possibly unlikely) event that someone develops a truly effective method of preventing malware attacks the anti-malware companies would go bust, so they are likely to buy up and suppress the tool.

We, the public, would never know that a brilliant anti-malware tool had been invented.

Such software needs an entirely different method of financial support, one that provides an incentive to permanently prevent exploits.

So do you mean that the anti-malware companies actually create these scams?

Quote: Chappers @ 30th June 2021, 6:30 PM

I work in the cybersecurity field and I can assure you that's not the case. About half a million new variants of malware are detected every day. Most of the pieces of ransomware are tied to criminal gangs in Russia - in fact most of them contain code which checks to see if the victim computer is located in Russia and/or uses the Russian language - if so, the malware uninstalls itself and blacklists the IP address to avoid future infections. Russia turns a blind eye to anything that doesn't affect their countrymen, and I'm sure that Putin and his cronies are getting a cut of the profits to ensure that things remain the same in the future.

China, Iran, and North Korea are also APTs (advanced, persistent threats). Ransomware, espionage, military infiltration, and intellectual property theft are rampant. A war is being fought 24/7.

Quote: Chappers @ 30th June 2021, 6:30 PM

dunno. obviously.

The Americans always like to hint that the Russians are coming, especially if they are ex-servicemen.
I've been hearing this since the 1970's. It's yet to materialise.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 1st July 2021, 1:15 PM

The Americans always like to hint that the Russians are coming, especially if they are ex-servicemen.
I've been hearing this since the 1970's. It's yet to materialise.

Russian hackers attack American interests daily. It's undeniable.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/politics/story/2021-06-10/ransomware-hackers-remain-largely-out-of-reach-behind-russias-cyber-curtain%3f_amp=true

I've had this a few times - doing the rounds apparently.
They seem to be hacking into legit companies and piggybacking their mailing list - this one came from a recruiting company (whose list I'm not on) who e-mailed the next day to apologise.

I actually got a Twitter message from Mel C. I know it was the real Mel C cos she felt the need to point it out. She said she was very attached to her fans and wanted to hang out with me after a gig... I said to my far savvier mate, Does anyone actually fall for this? He said, You'd be surprised. It's a way of getting into your account and personal data so don't even answer as a joke and they'll get bored and leave you alone. I had actually answered taking the piss and sure enough my spam went way up. Coincide?
I'm sure that when Mel C does propose to me, it'll be face to face. That's why I didn't fall for it.