Dangerous fake email scams Page 16

Ostensibly from Apple.inc

Subject: Alert: Someone Login With Your Account!

Can't help feeling this would be vastly improved by being read out in a Mike Read-style 'Calypso' accent.

Quote: Chappers @ 20th October 2014, 9:31 PM BST

So is this a scam?

Almost 99.9% certainly yes.

If you go back to the original email and hover over the link it should bring up a little popup box - I'm assuming that this will be a different address to the one that's written in the email. It's explained a bit more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing#Link_manipulation. It's a bit difficult to confirm this as you've cut and pasted it here, so I think the formatting may have been lost which would direct you to a 'scam' site.

Secondly, no bank will ever ask you to do something like this online. They've written "You can release the hold on your account by visiting any of our branches
or by following our activation link now" as they're hoping people's laziness will spur them on to click the easy option of the link.

That's my take anyway.

Well as I've said I've never heard of this bank in Toronto anyway. Still getting junk from them though.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29805002 ~~~~~~~

A new phone scam - known as number spoofing - is netting millions of pounds for fraudsters, consumers are being warned.

Financial Fraud Action UK (FFA UK) said the scam has become increasingly common in recent weeks.

Typically criminals fool people into thinking they are talking to their bank, or the police, on the phone.

To help gain the target's trust, they display a fake number on the phone's caller ID screen.

They then persuade the victim to hand over details of their bank account, or passwords, or suggest that they move money to keep it safe.

Using those personal details, they then steal money from that person's account.

~~~~~~~~~~~
If a caller is trying to draw your attention to the number on your phone display, it's very unlikely the call is genuine "

Craig Jones Financial Fraud Action

"Hello dear, I am Mr. James R. Davies, treasury director of a Security company here in London UK. Please I need your urgent partnership/cooperation to retrieve Two (2) family security Luggage's containing $10.3 Million USD each inside, as the next of kin to our late customer who died alongside with his wife and only Child in a plane crash. The cash Luggage's has been under our security vault over 5 years now and has no other beneficiary to claim it since then. Hence I contacted you. The deal is 45% to you, 55% for me. If interested, write me back immediately for more details and to proceed. I wait to hearing from you soonest. James R. Davies"

And hello dearie to you !

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

You know I simply don't understand WHY people give there details to anyone over the phone!!

F**king mental.

:) My dear Comedy chums, I have unfortunately fallen on bitter hard times, I do hope some of you beautiful people can help me and my four kids, just £100 each would so help us pay for our TV and takeaway food bills.

I'm also worried we can't keep warm, need heating bills paying, please at least keep me in brandy?, so pleased thankyou from my heart, and God bless you all, xxxx (you can pm with bank details} Dellas <3 <3 <3

That sounds so sad. I'll set up a Direct Debit.

<3 <3 <3

Teary How sad............

:S Yes Master, I am under your spell....... :S

:S Help yourself............. :S

:O So enticing, however the 14 digit little no is'nt revealing?, please try harder and get a grip Mr Thin!.

I am still under your power......... :S

sorry that you were unable to read the number........ :S

here it is with the secret aide-memoire from my wallet.................... :S

And the three digit security code. as printed on the back?..... if its easier I will accept a cheque?, Angelic

Ahh...sorry about this but I've just had an email from my bank warning of fake email scams - they've rung me and I have given them all my details. They say that my money is now in a safe place.

Phew! :)

The name and email and salutation tickled me on this one.

HEAD OF OPERATIONS
BARCLAYS BANK PLC.
4 PERRY CLOSE LEKKI,
LAGOS, NIGERIA.
barclaysbnknng121@yahoo.co.jp

Attention: Sir/Ma,