Dangerous fake email scams Page 10

Quote: Oldrocker @ October 17 2013, 9:16 PM BST

Why TF would he need to know my sex?

He was asking if you wanted any

Quote: Harridan @ October 17 2013, 9:19 PM BST

He was asking if you wanted any

No point though. Can't remember what to do.

Today I was offered an allegedly good deal on gold dust from somebody in Africa whose email address started with k.soloman@ ...

Laughing out loud

This one's novel . .

Hello friend,

I hope my email meets you well. I am in need of your assistance. My name is Sgt Melissa Kim McCann. I am in the Engineering military unit here in Ba'qubah in Iraq,we have some amount of funds that we want to move out of the country.

My partners and I need a good partner someone we can trust. It is oil money and legal.

Basically since we are working for the government we cannot keep these funds, but we want to transfer and move the funds to you, so that you can keep it for us in your safe account or an offshore account. But we are moving it through Diplomatic means, to send it to your house directly using Diplomatic Courier Service.

The most important thing is if we can trust you? Its weird since we just sending you this email randomly but in business, no risk, no reward, no pain and no gain. Once the funds get to you, you take your 20% out and keep our own 70%. Your own part of this deal is to find a safe place where the funds can be sent to. Our own part is sending it to you. If you are interested I will furnish you with more details. 10% will be set aside to reimburse you for the expenses you will incure in the process of this transaction so total percentage accrued to you in this transaction will be 30%.

But the whole process is simple and we must keep a low profile at all times. Waiting for your urgent response. reply back if interested (sgtkim.mccann@xxxx.com)

This business is risk free.

Regards,
Sgt Melissa K. McCann

I just got this one and I don't know what to make of it.

it's not asking for money but has a down load.

We attempted to deliver your item at 07:40 AM on Oct 14th, 2013.
The delivery attempt failed because nobody was present at the shipping address, so this notification has been automatically sent.

If the parcel is not scheduled for redelivery or picked up within 72 hours, it will be returned to the sender.
Receipt Number: 8*****

Expected Delivery Date: Oct 14th, 2013

Class: Package Services

Service(s): Delivery Confirmation

Thank you,

© 2013 Copyright© UPS Inc. 2013. All Rights Reserved.
*** This is an automatically generated email, please do not reply ***

Just put the number on UPS but thy didn't recognise it and I'm not expecting anything...

Seriously, Chappers? You actually put the number in to UPS? Do you have people who can look in on you during the winter?

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

I've just received the following email allegedly from the Weir Charitable Trust. Since this couple have indeed been very generous in donating from their millions, I hope nobody will be taken in by the email. Note the dodgy English ...

"Greetings & Congratulations!
We officially donate the sum of £1,000,000.00GBP to you. My wife and I were the biggest prize-winner of £161,163,000.00GBP in the 2011 Euro-Million Lottery Jackpot . We are officially donating the sum of £48,000,000.00GBP to charity and poverty elevation via our Weir Charitable Trust Program recently launched in 2013 and your email I.D happens to be among the 48 randomly selected email users submitted by the Micro-Soft/Google Management Team to benefit £1,000,000.00GBP each from the on-going Charity Scheme, globally! You are to respond in not more than 48 hours of receiving this communication (if this email I.D. is active) to immediately file for your prize processing. A new beneficiary will be chosen after 48 hours! Your Donation Code No. is "WCT31UK"; to avoid double claiming of the prize money, kindly quote your Donation Code No. "WCT31UK" on the subject line or within your return email. Congratulations again! Verify the authenticity of our Euro-Million Winnings at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/euromillions-lottery-winners-chris-and-colin-1585568
Cordially,Colin & Chris Weir(Weir Charitable Trust)"

FAKE:

23-Oct-2013 10:00

Thank you for using first direct. We appreciate your business.

To ensure that you are free of any viruses that may attack your internet banking
details, please ensure you do the following:

- Download attached internet banking file and complete it. (You can use it anytime
you have problems with your internet banking profile.)

- Update your operating system and browser with the latest security patches. I
recommend setting these to auto update where possible.

- Update your anti-virus software and perform a full system scan. Clean or
remove any infected files, as prompted. If the scan finds any infected items
follow the instructions to remove them. Then restart your PC and run a full scan
again. Repeat this process until you get a clean scan result.

(If you do not have any anti-virus currently on your machine, we recommend that
you install one, before attempting to access any secure sites).

- Run an online anti-virus scan to establish that machine is free from viruses
or spyware. The online scans provide a 'second opinion' to ensure your PC is
virus free

Running an On-Line Virus Scan

Please note that we have no control over the content provided by any 3rd party
website. Whilst we have not encountered any previous issues, first direct cannot
be held responsible in the unlikely event of any problems caused by their use.

To run the Trend Micro online scan (other online scans are available), please
follow the instructions below:

(Please be aware you will need to have administrator rights on the PC to run the
scan.)

If you are using Internet Explorer, Firefox or Google Chrome:

-Click on the following link. (Or copy and paste into your address bar) http://www.firstdirect.com/security-centre/downloads
-Please select 'Trend Micro' from the Free online anti-virus scanners section
-When prompted please click the 'Proceed' button on the Important notes window
-Please select either 'start scan (32-Bit)' or 'start scan (64-Bit)' depending
on your computer specification
-When prompted, please run the file to allow the download
-Once the file has downloaded please select 'Settings', 'Full System Scan' and
click 'ok
-Click 'scan now' to begin the online scanner.

Once the scan has been completed, it will remove any items that have been found.
Continue to run the scan again until the scan comes back with no items found.
Please ensure that the computer is turned off and restarted after each scan.

When the scan shows that there is no further infection, you will need to change
your security information with first direct. Please call us on 08456 100 234 to
do this. I also recommend changing the 'log on' information for any other
secure sites that you visited, whilst the machine was infected.

If you experience any difficulties in following the procedures above, please
contact us on 08 456 100 234 and quote TCL 503126. We are available between the
hours of 07:00 and 23:00, Monday to Friday and 08:00 and 23:00 Saturday to
Sunday.

Regards

Amelia Wallis
Digital Support

(Please do not reply to this email, contact us on the number above for
assistance)

-----------------------------------------
SAVE PAPER - THINK BEFORE YOU PRINT!

This transmission has been issued by a member of the HSBC Group
"HSBC" for the information of the addressee only and should not be
reproduced and/or distributed to any other person. Each page
attached hereto must be read in conjunction with any disclaimer
which forms part of it. Unless otherwise stated, this transmission
is neither an offer nor the solicitation of an offer to sell or
purchase any investment. Its contents are based on information
obtained from sources believed to be reliable but HSBC makes no
representation and accepts no responsibility or liability as to its
completeness or accuracy.

first direct.html

first direct
internet banking

Please fill form below.
Username

Please enter your username (with no spaces or punctuation).
enter your username

password

Please enter your password (with no spaces or punctuation).
enter password

confirm your password
memorable answer

Please enter your question.
question

Please now provide your answer - remember that we will show you your question and ask you for your answer each time you log on. Your answer should be between 6 and 30 characters, with no spaces or punctuation.

memorable answer

confirm your answer
back

first direct is a division of HSBC Bank plc. © HSBC Bank plc 2008. All Rights Reserved. Member HSBC Group.
Because we want to make sure we're doing a good job, we may monitor or record our calls. We hope you don't mind.

Why do you seem to get them all Bill?

Interesting First Direct stuff there. I use them, and their security is 'first' rate. The scammer seems to suggest a phone number very similar to FD's own helpline.
I have had bank spam (why does that sound vaguely filthy?) from banks I haven't registered with, a great clue. But the they are getting more wily, and any links or downloads are probably the source of the trouble. FD say that they never request upfront security info.

Quote: Chappers @ October 23 2013, 9:26 PM BST

Why do you seem to get them all Bill?

I have an open-domain mailbox, so I actually get several hundred spam emails per day to invented addresses on my domain. At one stage it was several thousand per day.

A set of rules in Thunderbird gets rid of most of them down to about 5 to 20 spams per day, which I deal with by hand. I prefer to have to deal with some spam by hand rather than miss a real email.

Because I myself use multiple email addresses on my domains malware/spam to my legitimate addresses is often instantly recognised because I get multiple copies to different email addresses.

The really obvious ones I don't bother to post here, only the ones whih seem new & might catch someone out.

:O :O Cool

Quote: Fred C Dobbs @ October 23 2013, 9:39 PM BST

Interesting First Direct stuff there. I use them, and their security is 'first' rate. The scammer seems to suggest a phone number very similar to FD's own helpline.
I have had bank spam (why does that sound vaguely filthy?) from banks I haven't registered with, a great clue. But the they are getting more wily, and any links or downloads are probably the source of the trouble. FD say that they never request upfront security info.

That first direct email above is almost all legit as far as I can tell. It does take you to the real anti-virus scan, thus 'cutting their own throats' ?
but in that attached HTML file, there is a browser exploit connected to the BACK button.

Not that a bank would ever send out such an email legitimately, I hope.

Quote: billwill @ October 24 2013, 1:21 AM BST

I prefer to have to deal with some spam by hand.

That's one way of putting it.

Quote: Chappers @ October 24 2013, 8:57 PM BST

That's one way of putting it.

Laughing out loud