Fonejacker Page 2

Not Clever but very funny, some of you should lighten up.

I was under the impressions that this was a comedy forum all you comedy haters should leave your spoiling my fun.

Quote: Britcom Barry @ July 6, 2007, 7:54 PM

Not Clever but very funny, some of you should lighten up.

I was under the impressions that this was a comedy forum all you comedy haters should leave your spoiling my fun.

People are like that here. Very 2D attitude to comedy, it has to be a sitcom with a good writer behind it that MUST get overlooked at award ceremonies. They don't like much else. Others are 2D in the sense that comedy is their ONLY interest and every other type of TV show sucks. Bah, it bores me.

Quote: Walker @ July 6, 2007, 8:47 PM

People are like that here. Very 2D attitude to comedy, it has to be a sitcom with a good writer behind it that MUST get overlooked at award ceremonies. They don't like much else. Others are 2D in the sense that comedy is their ONLY interest and every other type of TV show sucks. Bah, it bores me.

Don't complain when your show, which you sweat blood and tears over, loses a commission in favour of 'Celebrity Hidden Camera 4'.

Quote: Walker @ July 6, 2007, 8:47 PM

Agreed wholeheartedly.

it's a bit funny but a whole 30 minutes of it would be quite annoying

I am going to repeat what I said previously.
I liked it. I WILL be watching next week.

Quite frankly, it's like naughty schoolboys. Is it written by Beavis and Butthead?

It's not logical to claim comedy is subjective and then follow it up by giving reasons why people are predisposed to hate comedy you like.

If comedy is subjective (which we all agree it is), then certain people won't like it, period, whether it has or hasn't won awards, whoever the writer is. So you have to accept that certain groups have a reason not to like it which comes down to their own subjective taste.

By dismissing people who don't like a comedy that you enjoy, by making out that they have 'unfair / hidden' motives removes the element of subjectivity from your argument.

You're basically saying that the comedy show being discussed is objectively good, and that people who don't enjoy something 'demonstrably' excellent (in your / my / our opinion) is because they have subjective agendas.

The slieght of hand part is that the agreed principle 'comedy is subjective' has now become 'comedy I enjoy is objectively good, if you don't like it then you must have unfair reasons or else you'd be forced to admit this comedy is good.'

I despise reality TV for certain subjective reasons but that doesn't change the objective reality and value of shows that many people like. The value, the comedy is something subjective that we attach to the product.

People exert personal taste in real life at all levels. Some people won't buy Japanese cars, some love them. The car is still objectively the same product to both people but personal taste determines the buying choice. Some people love coffee, some hate it, no one seeks agendas there.

People can give reasons for and against liking a show but it doesn't change the fact that your opponent sees the comedy show differently to you. Even the proponents for G+S etc would have to admit that if it never won an award, was a cleverly constructed plot by an A grade writer, that certain people wouldn't like it because it just didn't appeal to them.

It's just the way we are. Comedy is personal. You like it, others hate it but making them out to be shadowy bitter pick-holes-for-the-fun-of-it figures doesn't make a difference to how good or bad the show is, because the show IS. Sorry to get so Zen on our asses but the show exists, independent of our value judgements, we add or subtract value to it but the show remains the same.

Hello Mr Slag ... agree with your eloquent post there!

Frankie xxx

Quote: Leevil @ July 6, 2007, 9:20 PM

Don't complain when your show, which you sweat blood and tears over, loses a commission in favour of 'Celebrity Hidden Camera 4'.

I won't. I'll just join the writing team of Hollyoaks.

BTW, I'd like to point out that I didn't even watch the show, so I can't say if I liked it or not. Nor did I say you can't not like it. I was just stating what I have observed of the BSG members, which is that they probably didn't even give it a chance but they still wish to bash it.

Quote: Walker @ July 7, 2007, 9:22 PM

BTW, I'd like to point out that I didn't even watch the show, so I can't say if I liked it or not. I was just stating what I have observed of the BSG members.

Me too.

:D

BTW, I'd like to point out that I didn't even watch the show, so I can't say if I liked it or not. I was just stating what I have observed of the BSG members.

Ditto.
;)

I think people are motivated to post by things they really like or really hate so you are always going to have extremes on this forum. However it would be a mistake to view one person's opinion as being more valid than another's. Even if they are 'experienced' in the comedy field because, as SlagA pointed out, comedy is subjective. If this was a science topic then it would be different.

Writers are bound to view comedy differently because they have a vested interest in it above that of a viewer. This doesn't make their view more valid but may make their view more abrasive.

Even though that is true, Fonejacker and shows like Fonejacker aren't trying to be comically and technically excellent. They are designed to be low-brow fun so any body can enjoy it. In away, they are completely different mediums. For example, imagine a football pundit analysing F1, both sports, but completely different sports. If you get what I mean. Does Fonejacker even have writers?

It is the same thing in many industries though. The film industry has many technically excellent and perfectly written films shunned by critics and public alike. Hence "cult film". In fact, look at "cult comedy", The Mighty Boosh is a great sitcom, but I've met many people who don't get it and despise it, and I have read reviews that hate it even more. Not really sure what my point is at the moment.

What I am wanting to say is if you don't like it, if you didn't like the jokes, if you were expecting something alright but it wasn't, then you have all right to post you dislikes. However, if it just isn't your cup of tea, and you didn't even watch it, or you watched it with prejudices already in mind, are you really qualified to say if it was good or bad?

Well Walker you can state your opinion whatever it is and people will make thier own judgements both on the program and on the post but there is never going to be a consensus so there is no reason to hold back an opinion. This isn't the UN.