Can anyone name this '80s R4 comedy?

Hi

During the early 80s (maybe late 70s) I used to sneak home from school at lunchtime to listen to a comedy sketch show on Radio 4. My recollection of it is hazy now, but it was of the type that would be characterised as 'anarchic' or 'zany' by makers of promotional posters. About the only thing I can remember is a sound effect of someone squelching through some goop, followed by a character saying "No, no, I said 'a house in Catford'". Presumably a misinterpreted stage direction. I say, I'm not over-explaining, am I?

I also have a faint recollection of one of the recurring characters being, for comedy purposes, from somewhere like Stoke Poges.

Any possible candidates?

Cheers
Walter

Perhaps I'm Sorry, I'll Read That again (late 70s) or Radio Active (early 80s)?

Neither of those, but thanks for the thought. I had a blinding flash of inspiration, recalling the catchphrase - "Isn't he a panic". Google supplied the rest.

To be fair, there was no realistic possibility of anyone getting the answer from my initial description.

It was The Burkiss Way.

Cheers
Walter

See Amazon product listing

And I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't still available in full if one knew where to look . . .

Yes - I was going to say Burkiss Way. It's been repeated on Radio 4 Extra recently.

I loved The Burkiss Way, it was written by David Renwick and Andrew Marshall, great cast I loved the fruity voiced Jo Kendall who was one of the cast, she was also in I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again.

Marshall and Renwick wrote a sketch for The Burkiss Way set in a hi-fi shop which was also used in Not The Nine O'Clock News.

Quote: Eric Pode @ March 1 2013, 1:19 AM GMT

I loved The Burkiss Way, it was written by David Renwick and Andrew Marshall, great cast I loved the fruity voiced Jo Kendall who was one of the cast, she was also in I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again.

Marshall and Renwick wrote a sketch for The Burkiss Way set in a hi-fi shop which was also used in Not The Nine O'Clock News.

What was the name of that character Chris Emmett used to play... ?

Eric Pode from Croydon?

There was a lovely Goonesque moment in The Burkiss way in a sketch where a man goes to the Doctor complaining of an affliction called Hogmany of the knee, the patient says to the Doctor "Is it serious," the Doctor replies "No it's too bloody silly for words."