Never Mind The Buzzcocks - Series 25 Page 5

Echoing many of the comments wishing that they would finally just axe Buzzcocks, I blogged about the show: http://www.garryjlee.co.uk/2011/11/28/editorial-the-on-air-death-of-never-mind-the-buzzcocks-please-put-it-to-rest/

They need a permanent host for the next series. Give it to some a bit risque, maybe not very well known and let them do their own thing with it. There is no point just friterring away the existing audience with these crap guest hosts.

I sent a message to James the producer of the show regarding the recent series, a very nice chap I must say he even invited me down for the Barrowman episode recording upon responding.

It went a bit like this:

Dear James,

I originally sent this message to the BBC but the response I got was on par with that of a dyslexic 5 year old, I hope to some degree you will be able to provide me with proper feedback.

I was once an avid watcher of NMTB it was my chosen panel show of all the others and never used to fail to amuse me with it's edgy humour and ability to rip 2nd rate popstars into more pieces than even Dennis Nilsen could manage. The first time I watched the show the panel consisted of Phil Jupitus and Bill Bailey as team captains and Mark Lamarr as host a trio that worked so well together and consisted of many memorable TV moments then followed the shock exit of Lamarr but the brilliant appointment of Simon Amstell, he managed to somehow make more than one joke about Anthony Costa funny quite an achievement in itself when you look at Blue (the name Grey would probably have suited them better).

Again there were many memorable moments during Simons 4 series including the yet unknown prediction that Amy Winehouse would kill herself because of alcohol, the complete annihilation of Donny Tourette and of course Preston walking off after Simon read his wife's book I suppose the shock that Chantelle Houghton could write was enough to send anyone walking of an Indie panel show.

After Bill Bailey left there was a very big hole missing and Simon and Phil shared the nations sentiments with there rendition of "No Air" some of the guest team captains worked well some didn't (you're even thinking Mark Ronson before reading this). Then 22 series of good work came undone when Noel Fielding was appointed a permanent team captain, now I understand that different people have different tastes in comedy and that is perfectly fine but my main concern is that Noel Fielding does not even offer comedy. What I think he does is before the show he puts random words into a hat and whatever he pulls out he just says out loud in a weird voice so going by that rule if I pulled out gangrene, treacle and tambourine I should have the studio audience in bloody stitches!

And then it goes from bad to worse Simon Amstell leaves and again guest hosts come in, some work some don't (you're thinking Mark Ronson before reading this again) Frankie Boyle worked very well so did Rhod Gilbert but that was 2 episodes in series 23 and one in series 24 can I just ask what the hell have you been thinking with the hosts in series 25? The Hoff? Lorraine bloody Kelly?? These were exactly the type of people Buzzcocks used to tear apart and I'm afraid you are losing the fans that have been there since early days with the changes, even the set doesn't look right anymore.

So in one last attempt to save the show I am offering you my services as permanent host. I can give you a link to the forum I am a member of where you will see many witty well constructive posts and bad grammar mistakes I also have a powerpoint presentation available detailing the advantages of not letting Mark Ronson host again. I cannot work Saturdays as I play football for my local team but week days I will be available, I am already drafting up my notice at work though on a Tuesday I would need to be back up North as that's when me mam warms up the bath near the fire and cuts my hair and we can't have me smelling if I am potentially asking next lines to Sinead O'Conner can we?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

While I agree with almost everything you wrote, I have to take issue with you criticizing Lorraine Kelly's appearance. That was one of my favourite episodes of NMTB ever and thought it worked really well. Of course, that doesn't mean she'd work as a regular host though.

Frankie Boyle should be permanent host. He really needs to get off his ass and get back on TV.

He's got a big Channel 4 series in development.

From what I'm aware of, Frankie's retiring or slowing down after his stand-up tour finishes, he's working on some comic books and writing behind the scenes.

But James (the producer) also said that they were fully booked for this series for hosts but he would keep me in mind for next series.

Watch out 2012!

Any word on if they're going for guest hosts or a permanent one this series? The BCG did tweet they were looking for a regular this series, but Applause Store's description suggests it'll be guests again: http://www.applausestore.com/applausestore-reserve-form.php?id=118&bid=5

It actually says guest team captains (note plural - has Phill left too?); no mention of host at all.

I hope Phil hasn't left. Though I wouldn't blame him, the show isn't nearly as good since Mark Lamar and Simon Amstell left.

Has Noel left then?

I suspect he's otherwise engaged with Luxury Comedy.

He might be making more? That's even more depressing.

It does need a permanent host to keep the flow of the show. I'd love to see Lamarr back, even as a guest host. Not sure he'd do it though

It would be brilliant. It's a shame he wouldn't.