Comedies that went on for too long Page 4

As Gervais put it, one of the finest British actors of all time will not be remembered for Citizen Smith, GBH et. al but for the pile of toss that was My Family.

Having said that, did watch the last episode (Carnage at the Harpers - NOT) which screams CHRISTMAS SPECIAL for the next ten years.

There's no one better qualified to comment on becoming known for later failures and controversies ahead of initial successes, than Ricky Gervais.

Quote: Neville Jackson @ January 16 2012, 4:53 PM GMT

As Gervais put it, one of the finest British actors of all time will not be remembered for Citizen Smith, GBH et. al but for the pile of toss that was My Family.

My Family: 11 series, strong ratings on BBC1 right until the end.

Life's Too Short: 1 series, plummeting ratings in a graveyard slot on BBC2.

Gervais presumably doesn't have a mirror in his house.

*high fives Tokyo Nambu*

I hardly think that was Gervais trying to insult him, rather saying it was unfortunate/ironic the way people get remembered for something that wasn't their best work. And that in fact many people may not even be aware he was in anything pre My Family. Which is all a perfectly true and fair thing to say.

And I find it hard to imagine him using the term 'pile of toss', but I could be wrong.

Quote: Neville Jackson @ January 16 2012, 4:53 PM GMT

Having said that, did watch the last episode (Carnage at the Harpers - NOT) which screams CHRISTMAS SPECIAL for the next ten years.

Funniest thing about this sit-com is watching Lindsay and Zoe Wannamaker just coast their way through it like a Morrisons Christmas advert.

Quote: Tokyo Nambu @ January 18 2012, 10:36 PM GMT

My Family: 11 series, strong ratings on BBC1 right until the end.

Life's Too Short: 1 series, plummeting ratings in a graveyard slot on BBC2.

Gervais presumably doesn't have a mirror in his house.

And Rhianna is the bestest musician in the world.

I am pretty sure that Robert Lindsey would sooner be remembered for GBH than My Family.

Many great actors have been known to take on sub standard work, not caring one jot about the effect it has on their reputation, so I shouldn't think Lindsay's bothered at all. Most actors like to work, and if it spoils their body of work in some fans' eyes, I don't think they care at all.

On the other hand, there are some pretty small name/unknown actors who get a bit precious about what they take on, wanting only to do certain directors' films or independent films. Their reputation with fans and critics can be high, but they are hardly heard of in the street. Personally, I think real, great actors are happy to mix it up and star in less great or even rank bad films. Some, like Burton and Caine went looking for them, I believe.

Agree with most of the shows people have listed here but The Simpsons has to take the biscuit in this catagory. It hasn't been funny for the past 15 years.

Absolutely Fabulous.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ January 25 2012, 6:28 AM GMT

Absolutely Fabulous.

Never too long for me. :D I think the big breaks have helped it to work.

Inn Mates

Quote: Timbo @ January 19 2012, 11:14 PM GMT

I am pretty sure that Robert Lindsey would sooner be remembered for GBH than My Family.

Which wasn't very good either.

Bob Hoskins does Argos adverts. Why? He can't need the money. Truth is most actors will do anything. It's one of the most unpleasant things about them.

Coupling, should have stopped after Jeff left.

The Royle Family, should have stopped when nana died.

Red Dwarf deteriorated but still had some genius moments, the JFK episode and the Rimmer simulation for example.

OFAH was the hardest one to watch being destroyed.