Rab C. Nesbitt - Series 10 Page 2

Quote: SivoxII @ October 8 2011, 7:15 PM BST

so a mild shock to hear them both use the F Word in the same episode.

This is another thing I despise about how the show has turned out. Using the F word is not what Rab is about. It was great when he used the Bastard word a lot. Funny so it was as it was usually only used at the right moments. They are taking it too far now. F this! and F that! Into the gutter it goes.

I kinda agree on that front. I have no problem with the F word in the right situation/comedy, but it doesn't wear well on Elaine C Smith in particular. As stated above, 'Bastard' is typically a punch line (trademark if you will) of Rab, where common use of the word arrives when Rab is cornered or has learned about some scheme or outcome etc.

All the best,
Cal :)

.. of course, we all love the "ya bam thit ye are!!" line.

Not a classic episode (some of series 9 was as good as anything in the original) but still hugely superior to any recent situation comedy.

I have to admit to not noticing them using the F word, perhaps I'm so used to it. Sweary words aside, there aren't many sitcoms that deal with socio-economics like Rab C, it's a sensitive barometer of the cuurent climate, it moves with the times and I sympathised with the Nesbitts and will be cheering Mary on in her efforts to improve her lot. There are many households in Britain in a similar situation, I'm glad this programme is around to highlight it.

I'm still laughing at the 'foot in the en-suite'.

I see the next episode will have Rab and Jamesie doing a full monty and I can't wait for it.

Quote: Dave Hedgehog @ October 8 2011, 9:31 PM BST

This is another thing I despise about how the show has turned out. Using the F word is not what Rab is about. It was great when he used the Bastard word a lot. Funny so it was as it was usually only used at the right moments. They are taking it too far now. F this! and F that!. Into the gutter it goes.

I agree entirely. This would explain the 10 o'clock time slot then. I know it's got cruder over the years, but I don't think it had to. RCN has indeed changed radically from the pre watershed sitcom it was in the early 90s.

It just shows how much we tolerate bad language in sitcoms and TV in general now. And it's a shame the writer-creator of the show has just casually let, or made this happen. Just looks like opportunism and following the trend. He has changed his own creation radically, seemingly just to get work. :(

Quote: AngieBaby @ October 9 2011, 12:27 AM BST

I have to admit to not noticing them using the F word,

Me neither.

perhaps I'm so used to it.

Or it is so unintelligible as to render it inoffensive.

I see the next episode will have Rab and Jamesie doing a full monty and I can't wait for it.

They have nothing Steve doesn't have.

I say that but I haven't actually watched it yet. I'm sure I'll still like it, but in a different way to the 90s Nesbitt.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ October 9 2011, 9:24 AM BST

I agree entirely. This would explain the 10 o'clock time slot then. I know it's got cruder over the years, but I don't think it had to. RCN has indeed changed radically from the pre watershed sitcom it was in the early 90s.

It just shows how much we now tolerate bad language in sitcoms and TV in general now. And it's a shame the writer-creator of the show has just casually let, or made this happen. Just looks like opportunism and following the trend. He has changed his own creation radically, seemingly just to get work. :(

It just gives me more and more reason not to watch or buy the DVDs from series 9 onward. Thing is pal I don't even feel the least bit curious about anything that has come after the badly made reunion episode. That for me was enough of the taste of things to come from Rab and co. I have watched and will re-watch series 1 to 8 for as long as I have my eye sight. For me the Rab show finished after series 8 finished. This show is the perfect example of washed up comedians and writers milking past glories in order to stay in the public's eye sight. They chose not the bring anything new and fresh to the fray but instead recycle the old. It kind of makes me think these clowns would be well suited in the Hollywood circle. Out with the new and in with the old.

I don 't agree with any of that. Times have changed and so has Rab C. If it were the same as before it would be dated, but it's been UPdated. So sorry you're not getting anything from it.

I have to admit, episode 2 didn't really grab me!!

Some funny segments here and there, but felt the plot to be a bit thin and weak in all honesty.

On well, let's hope the next showing has us rolling on the floor.

All the best,

Have to agree with you there Siv. There were some good bits, enjoyed the jobcentre exchanges, again only RCN can tackle sensitive matters like that so well. I love seeing Rab's soft side, helping the heroine addict was quite touching but overall it was a bit lack lustre.

Miles better than most on at the moment.

Very true Angie!

However, you do realize that Jamsie pole dancing will scar my visual thoughts FOREVER!!! lolol

Well, let's hope Ep 3 knocks us off our chairs ... would be nice to see a rolled up newspaper accompany the string vest and headband.

All the best,

Jut watched this and found it, in some ways, funnier than last week. Some of it was so deep down funny I couldn't laugh.

Another great episode this week. I love how this shows tenderness and sadness like when Rab was thinking about his children, but then banjos you with Jamesie's missing cockie. It's brilliant!

I didn't enjoy this one quite so much. I felt it was sad rather than funny.