New UK Comedy Guide

Hi

I thought I would let everyone know that Kaleidoscope's big updated UK Comedy Guide 1936-2011 is now available electronically from www.kaleidoscopepublishing.co.uk

Users of this forum should love it.

Thanks

Chris

Hell's bells, Mr Perry. That is one big mother of a book! Is it possible to upload a sample page?

Quote: shaggy292 @ September 29 2011, 10:29 AM BST

Hell's bells, Mr Perry. That is one big mother of a book! Is it possible to upload a sample page?

Without wishing to do down the team's impressive work on the ebook, it isn't perhaps as good as it may seem initially, and is - as the full title suggests - far more of a work for researchers such as myself than average comedy fans reading this website.

Notably, there are no descriptions, categorisations, or genre definitions, and only rare comment, usually just pointing out broadcast irregularities. You won't find any pictures either. However, there are rather comprehensive lists of individual broadcast dates. Sadly, the book is neither complete nor wholly accurate, although I assume it is for the large part reliable.

Bluntly, whilst it contains more raw data, this isn't a book for most people: I'd recommend Lewisohn's Radio Times Guide To TV Comedy, which could be bought for around the same price (second hand) last time I looked. Sadly, it too contains its fair share of errors and ommissions, but we all do our best!

I wouldn't like to infringe Kaleidoscope's copyright by posting any sample pages, but I hope that helps.