Cofilmic Sketch Writing Competition Page 12

Quote: Marc P @ November 2 2011, 2:17 PM GMT

When you say chaired the judges is that like in the american pro wrestling style?

Quote: David Bussell @ November 2 2011, 2:18 PM GMT

I imagined it more like an old-fashioned lion-taming.

I thought he had plastic surgery and married Sonny Bono.

Quote: Marc P @ November 2 2011, 2:20 PM GMT

I typed in that address Micheal and it sends me to another company. Scripts.co.uk

www.mjscripts.co.uk

Good blog Micheal.

Quote: Marc P @ November 2 2011, 2:20 PM GMT

I typed in that address Micheal and it sends me to another company. Scripts.co.uk

Okay, I assumed people would go for http://www.mjscripts.co.uk. Sorry to be unclear Marc. And all.

Thats okay Micheal. Not up with this newfangled interwebnet.

Quote: Marc P @ November 2 2011, 3:18 PM GMT

Thats okay Micheal. Not up with this newfangled interwebnet.

Tweet tweet.

Weren't there any funny sketches then?

Quote: Corey O'Graffor @ November 2 2011, 2:25 PM GMT

www.mjscripts.co.uk

Good blog Micheal.

Thank you.

Big thank you to everyone for all the well dones! Congratulations to Dolly and the extremely gracious Ponderer for making it to the final and to David for being picked out of a bucket. Also a big thank you to Micheal for his comments and to the judges and audience for choosing our sketch and to John Cooper and Emily Spowage for doing such a good job performing it! We're both very proud to have won the inaugural Cofilmic sketch writing competition and wish Janet Harrison and all her team great and continued success in the future! Believe!

When something's good, its good Mikado.

Anyhow, by popular(ish) request, here is my successful/failing sketch. As I think I said it is a revision of an older one so some may have come across it before:

BOB AND MAX ARE IN THE PUB. THEY TALK IN STRONG MANCUNIAN ACCENTS.

BOB: Long time to see mate. What you doing now?

MAX:Ah. Exciting times mate, what with BBC re-locating up 'ere.

BOB: What, you getting better reception are you?

MAX:No, mate, I've only got a job with the Beeb. I'm working on Newsnight.

BOB: What, that political bollocks on BBC2? What are you, the new racing correspondent?

MAX:(LAUGHS) Nah mate. I'm Jeremy Paxman's Fluffer.

BOB:What's that?

MAX:Well, you know the adult entertainment industry?

BOB:Yes indeed mate, my Sandra says I'm a little too familiar with it if anything.

MAX:Yes, right, well...they employ attractive young ladies to ensure the male stars are...erm...ready for action at all times.

BOB:What?

MAX:You know: prime the pocket rocket? (BEAT) Rev up the throbbing thrill hammer? (BEAT) Engorge the blue-veined custard chucker? (BEAT)

MAX MAKES A GESTURE. BOB HAS FINALLY GOT IT

BOB:(OBVIOUSLY SOMEWHAT DISGUSTED) Urgh! And you do that to Paxman before he starts the show?

MAX:God no! It's a metaphor.

BOB:You give him a metaphor?

MAX:What? No. How would that even work? Look, you know Paxman is well-known for his irascibility with political guests, right?

BOB:Erm...?

MAX:Mardy bastard, yeah?

BOB:Oh yeah! Famous for it.

MAX:Well, that doesn't happen by accident you know, Paxman is an absolute pussycat when he arrives at the studio. That's my job.

BOB:You piss him off before he goes on air!?

MAX:In a manner of speaking. First of all, I provoke him with badly constructed arguments. You know; cutting benefits actually helps the poor; Rebekah Brooks couldn't possibly have known about the phone tapping because she was distracted by some kittens.

BOB:And that gets him going does it?

MAX:That's just the start. Then I start quoting meaningless statistics , you know - 'half of our schools are below average'. That drives him nuts

BOB:Then he's ready to go, yeah?

MAX:Nearly. Then I just have to avoid a few questions.

BOB:How d'you mean?

MAX:He'll say; 'is it time to go on yet?' and I'll go- 'the real question is whether we can avoid going on at this time.' Or- 'this is not the moment to discuss the detail of the going-on time, but I can assure you that when the time is right we shall not be found lacking in our capacity for set entry' Then it's just a matter of standing back and watching him go.

BOB:Amazing. And that's all you have to do eh? Nice one.

MAX:(LAUGHING) Not quite. I mean, the BBC wouldn't pay me £1000 a week for that.

BOB:A grand!?

MAX:Well, you know, cut-backs. (BEAT) Anyway, I have to calm him down when we go off air too. Can't send him back out on the streets in that state, he might do someone an injury.

BOB:How d'you do that?

MAX:Blow job, obviously.

CLOSE

I'd also like to add my congrats and thanks to Janet and the team. good event.

Hello, for anyone interested here is our Cofilmic sketch writing competition winning sketch starring John Cooper and Victoria Bavister and directed by Anton Short.

Nice sketch! I particularly enjoyed John Cooper, assuming he was the man. The pace felt a little slow, but I'd put that down to the directing more than the writing as I liked the premise.

Quote: evan rubivellian @ November 29 2012, 6:30 PM GMT

Nice sketch! I particularly enjoyed John Cooper, assuming he was the man. The pace felt a little slow, but I'd put that down to the directing more than the writing as I liked the premise.

Thank you for your feedback!

You're welcome! And I look forward to seeing more of your sketches in the future.