This Is Jinsy - Series 1 Page 2

You're off....for now.....

They make the 10th Dr look like a total tool

I liked it. I did not love it, but it was enjoyable, had laugh out loud moments, and was incredibly creative. The latter being totally in keeping with Sky Atlantic's focus as a channel. While it is a flagship channel for them, it is meant to focus on high end and innovative programming rather than mass audiences like their other flagship entertainment channels Sky 1 and Sky Living.

And I cannot understand how anyone can say the plot was near-absent. While it did keeping leaving it for sketches, both episodes had very clear traditional self-contained stories. You could edit out those sketches and still have an Adult Swim length show with a definite beginning, middle, and end that would make perfect sense.

The first one being about the wedding lottery, with the narrative focussing on the attempt to rig it, I thought also did an excellent job of setting up the relationships between the three main characters without feeling forced or bogged down as many first episodes and pilots do.

Only watched the first one but agree it did have a strong focus on the wedding lottery plot amid the sketches.

I thought it was one of the worst things I have ever seen.

So come on. The critics seem to like it and you lot seem to dislike it. Who should I listen to?

Depends if you think yourself close to the paid pundits with vested interests, or hardcore comedy fans! ;)

I have to say - I really grew to like the world of Jinsy. Only a few big laughs, but many amusing things and baskets full of creative weirdness/goodness. The songs were standouts, as were the guest stars. More recurring characters would have helped, as would more movement in the "love" interest stuff, but then that would also make it more conventional... so take that for what it's worth. (BTW, I REALLY didn't like the pilot - the changes made for the series were great choices)

I guess the best way to put it is that I developed an affection for the show. And that's not such a bad thing.

Quote: Elfman @ November 2 2011, 1:49 AM GMT

Only a few big laughs, but many amusing things and baskets full of creative weirdness/goodness. The songs were standouts

I agree with this. I thought the last episode was the strongest, with the most laughs, but even when it's not hilarious it's still interesting. And the songs are annoyingly catchy.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000709/sky_atlantic_recommission_this_is_jinsy_series_2/

Shocked to see this recommissioned. I'm all for new alternative comedy but this really doesn't deserve another series; it would have been best to look elsewhere as, for me, there was no discernible improvement as the series progressed.

There was, however, mild progress from the original BBC Three pilot. I was aware that Sky comedy boss Lucy Lumsden appeared to love the show, but nevertheless, still surprised. And I won't pretend otherwise, disappointed.

I am a big fan of strange and surreal shows like this. While not always hilarious its always strange, off-center and amusing. I am all for subverting the "TV Norm".
Some of the songs in the show are genius. I hope they take some of the short comings like tighter writing to heart and fix them in the 2nd series. It's like "Tim and Eric", always strange, surreal, amusing (sometimes brilliant) but not always laugh out loud funny.

Sooooooo funny . First time I have been scared to laugh in case I miss another gem since I originally watched the Python guys way back when if you admitted watching them on TV meant ostracism and possible death . It took a long time for mainstream viewers to catch on with Python and probably will be the same with Jinsy ,if ever but who cares.
Thankyou Chris Bran and Justin Chubb for giving me a new set of exremely funny songs and catchphrases to take into my retirement . I have already turned on a select few to lovely Jinsy and we have our secret sessions of Jinsy delight {behind closed chalet doors of course} .
Even though in NewZealand we are Far Awayeee Far Awayee ,the odd {and I do mean odd }few of us do have refined comedy palates , ......and teeth in front of our faceholes .....we can thoroughly appreciate the concept of birth vegetables ,tesselators and all that comes with delicious Jinsy . This has reaffirmed my faith in the human race ,or not.

Further to my ravings of dear ,dear Jinsy ,what about the Stanley Unwin-like genius with the weather repord, tiddly bits ahoy ! How can you not laugh at that ?I will never look at the weather presenter on my TV in the same way ever again.