The Sitcom Mission 2012 Page 74

Hi there. Is there any possibility for us to see the online PDF script of this year's winner, Snez Naik with Yo Valet? It would be a great lesson for everyone, I guess.

Quote: hiddenul @ May 7 2012, 8:21 PM BST

Hi there. Is there any possibility for us to see the online PDF script of this year's winner, Snez Naik with Yo Valet? It would be a great lesson for everyone, I guess.

We'll check with Snez and with Hat Trick, but if it's possible we'll put it into a blog like we did with Thunderer from 2010.

We were lucky enough to see last year's winners, Abigail Dooley and Emma Edwards, at Friday's show. Their sitcom, What Next? is being pitched to Sky.

Quote: hiddenul @ May 7 2012, 8:21 PM BST

Totally agree that it would be a great lesson to see what the commissioners picked which is why Dec and I were a little puzzled to see just 3 of you at the shows. We don't expect you to come for our sake (we didn't need bums on seats, but extra seats) but for yours. A lot of writers on this forum live in London, surely. Tickets for the industry shows were just a fiver.

Where were you all?

We've repeatedly suggested hiring a pub for a get together of would be sitcom writers. We could pass on what we've heard from our meetings with Hat Trick, Tiger Aspect, Channel 4, the beeb etc. You could network, meet other writers, maybe find a writing partner.

What response have we had? None.

North Norfolk. And don't call me Shirley! :)

When's the next one starting?

Quote: Marc P @ May 8 2012, 9:17 AM BST

North Norfolk. And don't call me Shirley! :)

When's the next one starting?

Too knackered to think about the next one at the moment. It's unbelievably draining doing this.

I can well imagine. :)

Just reading them all is hard work.

Quote: Marc P @ May 8 2012, 9:26 AM BST

I can well imagine. :)

Just reading them all is hard work.

We had fewer to read this year (400 down from 1215 last year) because we introduced a reading fee. it did sift out the idiots who can't write but can press 'send'.

Quote: simon wright @ May 8 2012, 9:55 AM BST

... we introduced a reading fee. it did sift out the idiots who can't write but can press 'send'.

Perhaps we should introduce a similar system on this forum.
:)
Thanks for organising this - personally I found the experience very useful.
Like Marc P - I, too, am an 'out-of-town' member, the chances of me getting in from Shropshire pretty slim.
Unless of course you'd put me through, you bastards.
Good luck with the next one.

Quote: simon wright @ May 8 2012, 9:12 AM BST

We've repeatedly suggested hiring a pub for a get together of would be sitcom writers. We could pass on what we've heard from our meetings with Hat Trick, Tiger Aspect, Channel 4, the beeb etc. You could network, meet other writers, maybe find a writing partner.

I missed that offer, Simon, I'd be up for that, if available.

As one of the few who made it down I'd definitely say it was worth it. I'm not geographically challenged to the extent that Marc and Lazzard are, but I thought it was worth the thirty quid or so per time investment to come down from the Midlands. Like many on here I have difficulty not analysing anything I see through the filter of 'why it isn't as good as mine' but I think I have still managed to learn stuff. And if part of that is that what I write is not fit for purpose as far as commissioners et al are concerned, that might be uncomfortable but it does clarify my choices: find someone who rates what I do, or find a way of making my stuff more accessible to the people who could get it made. Short of a direct conversation this seems like as good an opportunity as any to try to understand what might help with the latter course of action.

Where were you all?

The industry shows began at 5.30pm, didn't they? A hugely inconvenient time for those working 9 to 5.

Quote: simon wright @ May 8 2012, 9:23 AM BST

Too knackered to think about the next one at the moment. It's unbelievably draining doing this.

Console

Totally agree that it would be a great lesson to see what the commissioners picked which is why Dec and I were a little puzzled to see just 3 of you at the shows. We don't expect you to come for our sake (we didn't need bums on seats, but extra seats) but for yours. A lot of writers on this forum live in London, surely. Tickets for the industry shows were just a fiver.

Where were you all?

Yeah, maybe you're right but some of us, I guess, are not from London. I would have come at the show but London is 2400 km far from me :)

Quote: don rushmore @ May 8 2012, 12:02 PM BST

The industry shows began at 5.30pm, didn't they? A hugely inconvenient time for those working 9 to 5.

Console

The industry shows began at 5pm. All of the shows at the Union Tavern started at 7.30 and cost £5.

I was hoping to attend this year but the cost of travel, accommodation, food and drinks would have been pushing £200. That's a bit too nasty at the present time.

I didn't know anything about this possible get together. That sounds really cool. You can definitely put my name down if you decide to try again.

There is this: http://www.londoncomedywriters.com/

Quote: michael b @ May 8 2012, 4:14 PM BST

I didn't know anything about this possible get together.

I haven't heard about this phantom meet either. Yet, according to Simon, he's mentioned it 'repeatedly'.