The Office: UK or US? Page 4

The first season of The American Office (What was it 6-7 episodes?) were quite like The English Office but from Season 2 on it grew into a compeltely different beast and I must say, I ruddy loved it.

Well until Steve Carell left...

The latest episode was a bit of a return to form. Still not the same without Carell but they're starting to find their groove without him.

Quote: David Bussell @ November 17 2011, 11:28 AM GMT

The latest episode was a bit of a return to form. Still not the same without Carell but they're starting to find their groove without him.

Dwight was amazing.

There are so many amazing characters in the US Office - Dwight, Andy, Creed to name my three favourite.

Quote: SivoxII @ August 8 2011, 6:52 PM GMT

It has to be the "original and best" UK version by a country mile. There are too many reasons to list, but I watched the first few episodes of the American version and simply had to turn the TV off (after giving it a fair chance in 2-3 showings)

There are many sceptics on Ricky, mainly that he doesn't act that well as he is just being himself .. the jury is still out on that one.

The Office (UK) is a brilliant piece of work, where 5-6 main characters did the whole "office thing" justice and I wouldn't change a thing, if a new series was ever on the cards.

I rest my case! lol

All the best,
Cal :)

What about when Pam and Jim get married? Or when Michael leaves?

In my opinion, although The UK Office was absolutely brilliant, and perhaps the best sitcom ever, I think the US Office (although not at all alike) is right up there. Incredibly funny.

The Office UK.

Quote: george roper @ November 17 2011, 7:51 PM GMT

The Office UK.

That's a compelling argument George, though I fear it'll take me a while to process it fully.

The US version has more: quantity and quality. Great characters and great writing. I love them both (I'm from the UK BTW) but I do find the UK Office a little depressing (not a bad thing) but love the that fact the US Office has made 9 great seasons from the format. Yeah it wavers a little after season 5 or 6 but there are gems in season 7 and 8 (Roberts California...) that keep it going. Love it all but prefer Office US.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ July 11 2011, 10:47 PM BST

I agree with Chip about the episode count.
But it has started to show an inevitable drop in quality which the UK version won't have.

It's still a draw though love them both.

True, but I feel the UK version would have dropped in quality by season 3 or 4, the US has been strong for longer. Love them both though.

Quote: TopBanana @ July 14 2011, 4:01 PM BST

UK.

This is a lame question....but when is the Catherine Tate US episode being shown in the UK?

Ta.

At the current rate? 2016.

Quote: Frimston and Rowett @ July 23 2011, 3:48 PM BST

I can't recommend this article highly enough:

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2006/12/11/061211crte_television

It was published in the New Yorker about 5 years ago, and it's a ridiculously interesting analysis of the differences between the two Offices. Especially impressive as the American Office was only about a year old at the time it was written.

I always feel that UK Office is a more brilliant piece of work that the American Office - everything about it just feels perfect and right - but that the latter is a much funnier and more enjoyable sitcom. It's certainly an easier watch, as it never tries to make you squirm quite as much as the UK Office; they always cut away from the moments of embarrassed silence just before they become unbearable, whereas Gervais and Merchant force you to keep on sitting through them long after you wish you were dead.

It feels like the main difference between the two is that one is essentially hopeless and the other hopeful - The Office is almost like a Samuel Beckett play, while The American Office is ultimately a fairly conventional, if brilliantly written, American sitcom.

Good article but I don't agree that it's a complete mystery why David Brent lasted 8 years in his job. I always got the feeling that he was once a competent manager who gradually got complacent. When the board overwhelmingly votes for him to be promoted, I interpreted that as the board voting for the David Brent that first stepped into the managerial job 8 years ago, probably because most of them were unaware that he had slipped recently, not the complacent, popularity obsessed clown that was eventually sacked.

The difference is that the US Office feels like a sitcom, albeit a good one

The UK Office, on the other hand, is the place I worked for three and a half years.

If Gareth turned up as a new mid-level manager from a company we'd acquired or Tim turned up as the next junior sales exec for Western Europe they'd fit in seamlessly and nobody would bat an eyelid at the things he said or did. I left shortly after my line manager actually grew the Brent beard.

(He thought the poster of him I made on company time was funny though)

As for the actual Brent, he'd survive in a management role for decades... if anything he'd keep getting promoted because noone would think to gauge his suitability for promotion by asking anyone lower ranked than Gareth...

Yeah, the UK one rang so true for me. It's a perfect representation of the mix of odd or incredulous onlooker characters you actually get in offices.

Both are great, you don't need to choose.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 25 2012, 2:42 PM GMT

Both are great, you don't need to choose.

True, but I think people just find it interesting to compare the two.

We did a podcast with the legend that is Bob Vance, Vance Refridgeration! Just click on the link! Cheers! http://soundcloud.com/pancastpods/movie-special-with-bobby-ray

I think they were very different.

I wasn't a fan of the early episodes of the American show but came back to it around series 5.

The thing about the US version is the ensemble cast that works really well. The characters are worth investing in but you really do have to invest in them.

It's a long game that, in my opinion, lasted one and a bit series too long.

Overall though I thoroughly enjoyed it all.

Quote: chipolata @ 11th July 2011, 10:28 PM BST

They're both great shows, but I probably like the American one more now purely because it's given us so many more episodes. Plus I think the lesser characters are richer in the US version.

I can't agree more with you