The Office: UK or US? Page 3

Quote: chipolata @ July 15 2011, 9:42 AM BST

And the people who don't like it, probably don't like American television comedy at all.

You couldn't be more wrong. Thinking about it, four of my top five comedies of all time are American.

I don't dislike the US Office per se, just really can't see the hype.

I can't recommend this article highly enough:

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2006/12/11/061211crte_television

It was published in the New Yorker about 5 years ago, and it's a ridiculously interesting analysis of the differences between the two Offices. Especially impressive as the American Office was only about a year old at the time it was written.

I always feel that UK Office is a more brilliant piece of work that the American Office - everything about it just feels perfect and right - but that the latter is a much funnier and more enjoyable sitcom. It's certainly an easier watch, as it never tries to make you squirm quite as much as the UK Office; they always cut away from the moments of embarrassed silence just before they become unbearable, whereas Gervais and Merchant force you to keep on sitting through them long after you wish you were dead.

It feels like the main difference between the two is that one is essentially hopeless and the other hopeful - The Office is almost like a Samuel Beckett play, while The American Office is ultimately a fairly conventional, if brilliantly written, American sitcom.

Love the Yankee version but the Brit bit wins hands down for me. There're fewer episodes so each one's far more layered, far denser - there's so much going on - the US take is great but it's very much a surface brilliance, a couple of watches and you've exhausted it. Plus it sometimes loses that contact with reality you need in a sitcom (unless you're going completely off the wall à la Young Ones or Boosh)... Dwight's hilarious, but would he really suggest an alliance with his arch-rival? Or confuse Thursday and Friday? Or hide in a carton to spy in the warehouse? Hmm...
Don't get me wrong, I love the US take too, but gimme the original and best.

I really love the US Office. It's one of my favourite sitcoms but I see it as a sitcom in its own right and not a 'version' of the UK Office which I think is the best sitcom ever.

The US version is a lot wackier than the UK one, particularly near the end when it crosses the border into farce. I mean compare Dwight to Gareth. Also there is a lack of emotional drama in the US version. I've laughed plenty of times but never been close to shedding a tear like when Tim and Dawn get together or when Brent gets made redundant.

For me, the UK Office had everything: Comedy, drama, realism. While the US is a good ol' send-up of the workplace.

I also agree with Michael Scott losing credibility slightly. That whole quitting, getting his job back was very weak. But again, I love the US Office. And I totally get why people prefer it as it is a different type of comedy than the UK one and that's what splits most peoples' sense of humour.

It has to be the "original and best" UK version by a country mile. There are too many reasons to list, but I watched the first few episodes of the American version and simply had to turn the TV off (after giving it a fair chance in 2-3 showings)

There are many sceptics on Ricky, mainly that he doesn't act that well as he is just being himself .. the jury is still out on that one.

The Office (UK) is a brilliant piece of work, where 5-6 main characters did the whole "office thing" justice and I wouldn't change a thing, if a new series was ever on the cards.

I rest my case! lol

All the best,
Cal :)

Frimston and Rowett basically summed up my feelings. In terms of craftsmanship, if I can use such a term, the UK version was better, although it was too cringe worthy by half for my tastes.

The American version is much more like a regular sitcom, and, if I may say so, I found it more watchable (though I'm hardly a dedicated fan).

So I guess what I'm saying is that the UK version is better, but I'd rather watch the American one. If that makes sense?

No it don't make sense, countryman

Quote: SivoxII @ August 8 2011, 7:52 PM BST

I watched the first few episodes of the American version and simply had to turn the TV off (after giving it a fair chance in 2-3 showings)

Understandable to give up then, but not really fair. The first season was just remakes of British stories, the show only really became its own thing in the second season when they started writing their own episodes and developing the characters.

Fair point ... but unless it had a complete face lift, I can't see myself cherishing it, like I do with the British Original.

I'm generally not keen on any American sitcoms, although I have respect for the mentioned Cheers, Mash and a few others around that era.

Don't get me wrong, I've "tried" .... having relocated to Western Canada at the age of 32 (originally from Scotland), I've had almost 10 years to adapt to "western world TV" .. but simply can't.

Maybe it's justified to say that the quality of British TV has slid in the last 10+ years, but I will prefer it on average, to any US offering.

All the best,

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 15 2011, 9:46 AM BST

The scientific term for such people, is 'tits'.

Ah, but then what's the term for people who only seem to like American comedy?

I don't know why people are gettng so defensive, presumaby people are judging it on the slightly rubbish first series, and the fact that it's a remake of a beloved show.

The US show has definitely given me more enjoyment, but then there's a lot more episodes... And personally I like sitcoms that are a bit more surreal.

Quote: SivoxII @ August 9 2011, 1:18 AM BST

Fair point ... but unless it had a complete face lift, I can't see myself cherishing it, like I do with the British Original.

I'm generally not keen on any American sitcoms, although I have respect for the mentioned Cheers, Mash and a few others around that era.

Don't get me wrong, I've "tried" .... having relocated to Western Canada at the age of 32 (originally from Scotland), I've had almost 10 years to adapt to "western world TV" .. but simply can't.

Maybe it's justified to say that the quality of British TV has slid in the last 10+ years, but I will prefer it on average, to any US offering.

All the best,

I almost gave up after the first season, but having splashed out on the 3-series box-set, I put in the 2nd one and never looked back.

The first season is undeniably a bit naff, especially if you are a fan of the UK version. But the 2nd series onwards is a different beast entirely and well deserving of another shot in my opinion.

Quote: Vader @ August 9 2011, 1:20 AM BST

Ah, but then what's the term for people who only seem to like American comedy?

The same? Luckily for me, I enjoy comedy from both great nations. Go me!

Quote: Westcountryman @ August 9 2011, 12:44 AM BST

Frimston and Rowett basically summed up my feelings. In terms of craftsmanship, if I can use such a term, the UK version was better, although it was too cringe worthy by half for my tastes.

The American version is much more like a regular sitcom, and, if I may say so, I found it more watchable (though I'm hardly a dedicated fan).

So I guess what I'm saying is that the UK version is better, but I'd rather watch the American one. If that makes sense?

Actually that does make sense Westcountryman (incidentally the second syllable of that word was my nickname at school).
To the US-Office-bashers, remember it only really took off from the second season. The first one was little more than a carbon copy of the original.
PS Dawn looks like Emma Bunton without make-up. But when you consider she's the fruit of Jasper Carrott's juice she's quite nice.

There both great but I can't choose a winner. Episode 4 from both the first and second series of the English version are my favourite episodes.

Other than the name and setting I don't really see a lot to compare. They don't even share the same style of humour, the American show is very post-Simpsons to use Dan Harmon's terminology. Before Mackenzie Crook was cast as Gareth, Gervais & Merchant had envisaged the character as a bigger, more physical guy so perhaps if that had been the way things panned out then the UK version would have had more of a Dwight type. I think Angela is closer to a US equivalent of Gareth.