The Office: UK or US?

I know this has probably already been done before, but this is for school! I just want to know general opinions on which version of The Office they prefer and why they think that is.
Thank you!

I've not seen the US version yet - not got round to it, so can't comment.

I'm sure there are plenty of people here though that will have an opinion on this.

I would suggest searching for The Office US on Amazon and read the customer reviews - many of them go into detail about which is better and why etc.

Clown school?

The UK Office is good in its on right, as is the US version.

Both good, but have come to love and laugh far more at the US version. Loving those characters.

Dan

They're both great shows, but I probably like the American one more now purely because it's given us so many more episodes. Plus I think the lesser characters are richer in the US version.

Quote: chipolata @ July 11 2011, 10:28 PM BST

They're both great shows, but I probably like the American one more now purely because it's given us so many more episodes. Plus I think the lesser characters are richer in the US version.

This.

I feel dirty.

Plus, Michael Scott is awesomes!!!

I agree with Chip about the episode count.
But it has started to show an inevitable drop in quality which the UK version won't have.

It's still a draw though love them both.

Quote: Leevil @ July 11 2011, 9:28 PM BST

Clown school?

The UK Office is good in its on right, as is the US version.

Haha, we have to write a 4000 word essay, but on any topic we like.

I've only caught a handful of American Office episodes here and there, so I'm not an officianado, thank you, but I don't rate what I've seen as anywhere near as good as ours. Yes there may be some stubborn patriotism in part of my reasoning, but I'd say it's mostly because theirs is not really doing what The Office originally did. It's a different concept, never mind a different show.

I'm a Steve Carroll fan but the US Office just doesn't match the high standards of our one. And of course it's going on too long, as most US shows do. It's a business for them. For us it's art. That's why we're better. Hope this helps with your essay. Cheers.

If you want a fresh angle it might be interesting to explore why people feel a need to take sides in the first place. My feeling is (first season aside) that they're entirely separate entities and can be enjoyed equally for different reasons, though this obviously doesn't describe the feelings of many. My theory is that there's a certain twisted patriotism at play that stops a lot of people enjoying an otherwise excellent show. How about examining something in that area?

It's also worth noting that there are many other nationalities with their own version of The Office, including France, Israel, Chili, French Canada and Germany, so you could compare and contrast with those too.

Neither! They are both annoying.

Helpful.

Quote: David Bussell @ July 12 2011, 10:17 AM BST

If you want a fresh angle it might be interesting to explore why people feel a need to take sides in the first place. My feeling is (first season aside) that they're entirely separate entities and can be enjoyed equally for different reasons, though this obviously doesn't describe the feelings of many. My theory is that there's a certain twisted patriotism at play that stops a lot of people enjoying an otherwise excellent show. How about examining something in that area?

It's also worth noting that there are many other nationalities with their own version of The Office, including France, Israel, Chili, French Canada and Germany, so you could compare and contrast with those too.

Wow, thankyou that's really helpful! And yes, this is only a small part of the essay, helping to point out what exactly makes the British sitcom typically British, and I thought this would be a good way to explain it.

The UK one, by some considerable distance. It defined a genre.

My main problem with the US version is what everyone else seems to like about it - all the 'wacky' characters. None of them, with the possible exception of Jim and Pam (not a patch on Tim and Dawn), seem capable. Nobody ever laughs with eachother. No work ever seems to get done.

If the US Office is being played as a straight sitcom nowadays, then the above is fair enough and it's not really right to compare the two. But I believe it considers itself sophisticated when it's not. Michael would not have kept his job this long and as I said in the Foreign Comedy forum, just saying "sales at his branch are really good" is a poor reason to keep him at the top because we never actually see him doing any work; he's usually embarrassing himself in one way or another and has done for years.

At least three or four of them would've been sectioned by now, especally that Dwight. Gareth was a geek, this fella's pyschotic. Add to that the obligatory fat man, fat woman and another sociopathic blonde woman, who seemingly hates everyone in the company, then it's difficult to take this too seriously.

The UK Office was subtle and it was believable. When Brent got the sack you felt for him, as he was a decent fella who took his eye off the ball and was trying too hard to be liked. If Michael was in the same position it'd be hard to be sympathetic as he's been such an idiot for so long.

Also, documentary comedy cannot last seven years. Surely!