ITV comedy - will it ever come back?

ITV's never been the best comedy channel but the past few years have been pathetic. There's apparently going to be a new 1/2 hour comedy slot between Corrie episodes Wednesday.

Could this mean the return of 1/2 hour audience sitcoms to ITV?

And who is the person currently in charge of commissioning comedy programmes at ITV? Does such a person even exist there anymore?

I doubt ITV will ever be a force in comedy ever again. Although fair play to them if they are going to try and hammock a sitcom between two episodes of Corrie.

Bring back Bottle Boys, I say. And a modern On The Buses with some kind of modern twist and casting.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ July 8 2011, 10:20 AM BST

Bring back Bottle Boys, I say. And a modern On The Buses with some kind of modern twist and casting.

:O

Lucas is here!

*falls off chair in shock*

Quote: mr blobby @ July 8 2011, 7:52 AM BST

And who is the person currently in charge of commissioning comedy programmes at ITV? Does such a person even exist there anymore?

Jim Davidson

Quote: chipolata @ July 8 2011, 10:23 AM BST

:O

Lucas is here!

*falls off chair in shock*

Morning. Just thought I'd pass through. See what's going down.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ July 8 2011, 10:41 AM BST

Morning. Just thought I'd pass through. See what's going down.

Nothing. The BCG's dying like a wasps nest in a shed pumped full of dangerous impotence-inducing skin-peeling chemicals by a homeowner too cheap to get pest control in.

Quote: mr blobby @ July 8 2011, 7:52 AM BST

ITV's never been the best comedy channel but the past few years have been pathetic. There's apparently going to be a new 1/2 hour comedy slot between Corrie episodes Wednesday.

Could this mean the return of 1/2 hour audience sitcoms to ITV?

That rather depends on how willing ITV are to give it a proper go. The rewards for finding a winning sitcom can be huge, but they have to be willing to sit through a few potential duds in order to get there. Does anyone at the network have that will?

Well if the slot is true, it's a very good one.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ July 8 2011, 10:20 AM BST

Maybe 'On the Buses on Ice'.

With Corrie moving from Thursday at 8:30 back to Wednesday at 7:30 from next year, ITV are planning to make sitcoms for the Thursday slot.

I can't help but think a couple of poorly rated shows and they will give up again. That being said, they do have Caroline Aherne's new sitcom to show soon.

It's bonkers.

You'll have a half-decent sitcom getting under 3m viewers and it will be seen as a failure.....and axed.

In context, 3m for a new sitcom would be pretty damn good. Corrie gets 8m-9m, so relatively speaking 3m is not to be sneered at.

ITV doesn't make good shows, full stop. It's wall to wall shit.

I think I watch the Jewellery Channel more than ITV.

It's cack. Balls. Complete BALLS.

Downton Abbey was excellent, and even Odd One In - whilst incredibly low-rent - is quite entertaining at times. Otherwise, I'd have to agree. Rarely anything worth watching.

One thing I would say about ITV1 is that although they are not sitcoms - the two flagship soap operas Coronation Street and Emmerdale do have quite a bit of humour in them.

The BBC1 effort EastEnders is so damn miserable.