Comedy you want to like, but don't Page 9

Quote: sootyj @ July 30 2011, 7:29 PM BST

In which case the source material sucked

Yes, to those who didn't like it. No, to those who did.

Stick around for more 'Matthew States The Obvious' later.

this is the stuff one doesn't get thread

so to be pedantic, then to me the source material would probably suck as the film was dreadful

would you like to argue about something else pointless?

Quote: sootyj @ July 30 2011, 7:41 PM BST

this is the stuff one doesn't get thread

so to be pedantic, then to me the source material would probably suck as the film was dreadful

would you like to argue about something else pointless?

Funny how you instantly class a conversation or discussion as an 'argument'. Relax a little, smoke a beer.

mr pot meet mrs kettle

Quote: sootyj @ July 30 2011, 8:28 PM BST

mr pot meet mrs kettle

Right.

dinnerladies

Just doesn't do it for me.

Must be the fact that I can't stand Victoria Wood.

Spaced

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean it is badly acted, I watched all two series and I think it is quite enjoyable, but maybe it's not just my thing, as the most of the times it doesn't leave me laughing out loud but only smiling.

Maybe I should watch it a second time, a few days back I watched Hot Fuzz and to be honest I had a few good laughs.

Spaced was just dull, dull, dull.

Bored the arse off me.

Spaced was brilliant.

You are wronggg.
In the head.

;) Sooty and Sweep SO passe'

I think, much like Only Fools and Horses, that it went downhill when Soo introduced a romantic element into the show.

Sooty and Sweep got romantic?

I'm with people on The Goons. It's always seemed an important show, and one that should be an inspiratin, but I just can't get into it. I think you need to be brought up with it and it has to be in the blood.

Possibly for similar reasons, never found Vic and Bob funny in slightest, but always wanted to. I just don't get it. I don't have the right software in my head. They are clearly genuises (genii? Genies? Djinn?) From Big Night Out to Shooting stars via the Smell just can't get into it.

Psychoville also not my cup of tea at all, but that's partly because I've not seen a single film that is referenced by the League of Gentleman, so I have no reference points. Seems like a real treat for those that are into that kind of thing, though. Annoying to miss out.

Gimme Seinfeld over Curb any day.

And one more. Heresy. Total heresy. Hitchhikers. There. I've said it. Love the idea. Love bits of it, moments and jokes. Appreciate how important it has been - and I've been very influenced by it, and comedians who were influenced by it. Red Dwarf wouldn't exist without it. But I haven't heard the radio shows all the way through, and don't really want to go back and and finish them. And got bored of the books half way through the second, since every character seems to talk the same (like they do in a Tibor Fischer novel. (anyone? Is this on? Hello??))

I know. Cast me out. Look away. I'm hideous.

Quote: Aaron @ July 30 2011, 12:25 AM BST

Not heard that term before! What does it mean?

As it sounds.

For example, I hate mushroom soup as it knocks me sick when I eat it.

Describes something you don't like or feel revulsion at etc.

IT'S ok to like what you want, there is no right or wrong in comedy :P

ps; Sooty has got violent!