Stewart Lee Page 7

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ January 20 2010, 10:09 AM GMT

I was supposed to be seeing him there last night or tonight bit ticketmaster were crap when I was trying to book.

We booked tickets last week and got unreserved seats at the side, so the extra dates must've flown. Nice seats, actually. There's also a standing allowance, but I wouldn't fancy that much.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 20 2010, 10:12 AM GMT

When I saw him there a few weeks back, I liked how, at the end, he literally sprinted out past everyone before they could get up to go so he could reach the merchandise table in time to try and sign things! He really moved fast for a slightly chubby man.

He didn't take that direct route last night, as far as I could tell. Wish I'd have taken his route out, took a bloody age to get out the place.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 20 2010, 10:12 AM GMT

When I saw him there a few weeks back, I liked how, at the end, he literally sprinted out past everyone before they could get up to go so he could reach the merchandise table in time to try and sign things! He really moved fast for a slightly chubby man.

That might seem improvised but he did the same at the gig I was at...

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ January 20 2010, 1:27 PM GMT

That might seem improvised but he did the same at the gig I was at...

Dan

Oh I know it wasn't a joke, it was to beat the rush out so he could get to the merch table in time to sell as much stuff as possible! :D (I didn't buy anything, though I peered at him as I passed)

I know. It was a joke...

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ January 20 2010, 1:32 PM GMT

I know. It was a joke...

Dan

I'm going to hurt you with fire.

That was in no way retribution for you doing exactly the same to me in the RFTP thread...

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ January 20 2010, 1:32 PM GMT

I know. It was a joke...

Dan

Yep. Sprinted out of the Salford Lowry Theatre then didn't sell merchandise (had a second show straight after).

Joke. Good joke. "Run away!"

Stand-up book deal for Stew: http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2010/02/03/10457/book_deal_for_stewart_lee

Dan

Saw him again last night in Epsom. He was just as funny as he was at Leicester Sq. in December, considering the slightly muted audience.

There was a bonus support set from Simon Munnery as well, which was ace!

Jerry Springer: The Opera is littering the shelves in my local Poundland (which, er, I wasn't in). Is it any good?

Quote: sglen @ December 2 2009, 11:34 PM GMT

Yeah, I was talking about this with my friend after the Lee gig. We'd both seen the same thing at (separate) Ross Noble gigs as well. My mate was saying she thought it was to do with the "anyone can be a star" culture we have now, where everybody thinks they've got talent and have the right to be involved. She might have a point.

More likely just that no one has any respect or consideration for anyone else. And far too many people drink far too much.

Quote: cashback @ December 6 2009, 4:25 AM GMT

P.S. I will be buying the DVD soon and have no problem getting it through your link if it will help the site, but is it going to make my Amazon account, and therefore my purchase history, visible to everyone?

No doubt this is long bought now anyway, but: no.

Was watching Jimmy Carr's Telling Jokes DVD earlier.

Towards the beginning, he says of the audience, after somebody doesn't get a joke, "clearly this is a mixed ability group".

Isn't this a Stewart Lee gag? Sure I remember him saying something pretty similar in 41st Best...

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 29 2010, 6:56 PM BST

Was watching Jimmy Carr's Telling Jokes DVD earlier.

Towards the beginning, he says of the audience, after somebody doesn't get a joke, "clearly this is a mixed ability group".

Isn't this a Stewart Lee gag? Sure I remember him saying something pretty similar in 41st Best...

Yes, it was on there but surprised Jimmy Carr would allegedly do something like that after the problems with Jim Davidson performing HIS material.

Interestingly, on a similar sub-topic, I watched An Audience With Billy Connolly on ITV on demand earlier, and his opening comments are very similar to Alan Davies' comments on his Live at The Lyric show about starting the working day gently etc.

Out in August:

Quote: swerytd @ November 19 2009, 4:06 PM BST

Stew was excellent last night. Really, really good and extremely clever and funny.

Spoke briefly with him afterwards and asked him about a second series of Vehicle. He said he'd spoken to the BBC the day before and the new controller wasn't keen, so it didn't look like it. They asked him to present a new show, showcasing up and coming stand-up comedians, but said it's not something he's interesting in doing.

So, (1), buy the DVD of the last series, if you haven't already (it'll make money for him and the BCG if you click from here):

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/9307201/Stewart-Lee-Comedy-Vehicle/Product.html]

(2) I've actually got off my arse for a change and set up a petition to see how much interest we can build up. Sign it here: http://www.petitiononline.com/BBSLCV/petition.html
and we'll see how it goes.

Dan

I find it almost impossible to believe that the BBC hasn't commissioned a second series. I'm sure the first had poor ratings but I imagine was a critical success. Also in production terms it must cost pennies to make. Unless the funny car is expensive to run.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 2 2009, 9:20 PM BST

(I say this as a reformed heckler, who ruined a Mark Lamarr gig in Balham many years ago. I started goading him about Swindon as I recall. I was very drunk. I'd never heckle thesedays.)

You've gone up in my estimations. I hate LaMarr. He's absolutely f**king useless. And he looks like a fag Turkish waiter. I'm sure he ruined the gig himself.