Porridge Page 7

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 8th March 2015, 6:32 PM GMT

Talent imitates, genius steals.

Agree that they did nick a fair number of tropes from other writers though Teary Cool

I was intimating that they stole their own gags from themselves . . . although they didn't go the whole hog and use the flat feet bit . . .

A good gag is worth repeating. :) I don't blame them for using it again.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th March 2015, 6:37 PM GMT

A good gag is worth repeating. :) I don't blame them for using it again.

Me neither! I keep thinking about poor old Rodney Bewes having to tow his caravan of props around regional theatre to keep his head above water because James Bolam refused to give permission for 'The Likely Lads' to be repeated.

To keep on track and to stop being greyed out by Aaron - I found it interesting that they stopped after three series and a Christmas special. Great timing in my opinion. I suppose the series of 'Going Straight' kind of counts, but hey.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 8th March 2015, 6:39 PM GMT

Me neither! I keep thinking about poor old Rodney Bewes having to tow his caravan of props around regional theatre to keep his head above water because James Bolam refused to give permission for 'The Likely Lads' to be repeated.

To keep on track and to stop being greyed out by Aaron - I found it interesting that they stopped after three series and a Christmas special. Great timing in my opinion. I suppose the series of 'Going Straight' kind of counts, but hey.

Two Christmas specials . . . and went back to prison after Going Straight for the film version, unfortunately that was Beckinsale's last work . . .

Quote: ScotiaNova @ 8th March 2015, 6:41 PM GMT

Two Christmas specials . . . and went back to prison after Going Straight for the film version . . .

Yep, you're right. I bet that I didn't notice them lurking on the DVDs.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 8th March 2015, 6:32 PM GMT

Talent imitates, genius steals.

Agree that they did nick a fair number of tropes from other writers though Teary Cool

I think Nova meant they stole from themselves.

Watched the film again today. The writers I think played themselves on the football pitch.

Quote: Chappers @ 8th March 2015, 10:44 PM GMT

I think Nova meant they stole from themselves.

Watched the film again today. The writers I think played themselves on the football pitch.

They were quite prolific as writers, so that's probably the case. Were they doing the 'Linehan and Mathews' trick of appearing in their own sitcom then?

Quote: Chappers @ 8th March 2015, 10:44 PM GMT

Well. if they couldn't get a Goodie . . .

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 9th March 2015, 12:51 PM GMT

They were quite prolific as writers, so that's probably the case. Were they doing the 'Linehan and Mathews' trick of appearing in their own sitcom then?

Seem to recall they also script-Doctored Bad Boys 2 . . . yes, the Will Smith action film . . . just checked Wiki and they also did The Rock as well, Connory's influence?

I love 'Porridge'. I want to marry it and breed newts with it.
I agree with all here, it's timeless. Solid gold. Nay, platinum.

Again, great characters. Even the baddies being bizarrely likeable to the audience.

But I think the reason for it not ageing isn't down to not having any references to the era and being set in a prison.
I think the truly good stuff simply remains immune to changes in fashion and lifestyle.
Quality transcends.

One thing which also marks out 'Porridge' is the made up lingo. Nerks and scrotes and what-not
(one created a universe). Anything to get it past the BBC's censor bridgade.
Let's not forget, Mary Whitehouse must have been on the prowl those days.

As for 'stolen' gags, all sitcom constantly borrows from everywhere and everyone.
Nobody reinvents the wheel six times a season. Can't be done.
If we go back far enough half the stuff that's ever appeared in sitcom most likely originated in music hall variety acts decades earlier. (That said, I understand the point was about them stealing from themselves, effectively.)

A few episodes on Yesterday right now.

Quote: Chappers @ 29th October 2015, 10:06 PM GMT

A few episodes on Yesterday right now.

This statement confused me for a little while.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 29th October 2015, 11:47 PM GMT

This statement confused me for a little while.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Chappers @ 30th October 2015, 12:28 AM GMT

Laughing out loud

The First film 'Porridge' was on More4 today. It was a decent way to finish the whole thing. I just wish they hadn't bothered with the follow up films where Fletch was played by Chevy Chase. They just didn't seem to have enough of a connection to the series.

Eh?

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 30th October 2015, 1:23 PM GMT

The First film 'Porridge' was on More4 today. It was a decent way to finish the whole thing. I just wish they hadn't bothered with the follow up films where Fletch was played by Chevy Chase. They just didn't seem to have enough of a connection to the series.

My thoughts exactly. Wasn't Chevy Chase in the video of Paul Simon's "You Can Call Me Al"? Caitlin Moran was also seemingly obsessed with him as an adolescent.

Back to Porridge. Must watch the films.