Porridge Page 4

Well the producers quite possibly I suppose - but other writers? I guess it depends very much on how their submission system and production office worked.

If the producers knew, the writing team would have known. Comedy writers aren't (that) thick, you know.

Well like I said, I guess it must have depended on how the show's production process worked; i.e. how much feedback there was between the writers and producers, and how collectively they worked. If they were just sending in scripts and receiving cheques n-months later, as seems to be the case with current radio submission programmes, there's no reason they would have even known the other writers' names until the credits rolled at broadcast.

The nearly 40 year old Porridge Christmas special was on BBC One on Christmas day and imo blitzed everything on around it. That is how to make a sitcom Christmas special. Amazed that current sitcom writers can't or won't learn from it. It was about Christmas, had a great story, the hero got his Christmas present in a genuine sitcom finale and it was just as funny after all these years.

A current sitcom had its Christmas special on the same day, got a staggering 10 million viewers and the only reference to Christmas (I can recall) was the shamelessly stuck on 'Merry Christmas everyone' at the end. Errr Oh that's a Christmas special worth 10 million viewers is it? !!!

Porridge was quite interesting but I thought the film was better than the actual comedy. I Was not excepting to see porridge on. But im getting the film soon. I Heard there was a spin off called going straight with Ronnie Barker and Nicholas Lyndhurst

Lyndhurst plays Fletch's son...you only see him for about two minutes or so. But if you like Porridge then Going Straight will also please you to a certain extent.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 29 2012, 8:35 AM GMT

The nearly 40 year old Porridge Christmas special was on BBC1 on Christmas day and imo blitzed everything on around it. That is how to make a sitcom Christmas special.

Was it the one with the hospital then?

A current sitcom had its Christmas special on the same day, got a staggering 10 million viewers and the only reference to Christmas (I can recall) was the shamelessly stuck on 'Merry Christmas everyone' at the end. Errr Oh that's a Christmas special worth 10 million viewers is it? !!!

Mrs. Brown had a Christmas theme but was shite anyway.

The nearly 40 year old Porridge Christmas special was on BBC One on Christmas day and IMO blitzed everything on around it. That is how to make a sitcom Christmas special. Amazed that current sitcom writers can't or won't learn from it. It was about Christmas, had a great story, the hero got his Christmas present in a genuine sitcom finale and it was just as funny after all these years.

If you are referring to Miranda, it was neither on Christmas Day, nor was it a special.

These are small trifles. It stood next to a true great sitcom in Porridge and got obliterated. That's a true fact.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ December 29 2012, 9:21 AM GMT

Was it the one with the hospital then?

Yeah. I forgot there was another one but this one I remember as Christmas episode more.

The other was No Way Out ?

Quote: Wwe222 333 @ December 29 2012, 10:23 AM GMT

The other was No Way Out ?

The one where Fletch and Godber tried to sell their special brew and were held hostage by a fellow con.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ December 29 2012, 9:50 AM GMT

These are small trifles. It stood next to a true great sitcom in Porridge and got obliterated. That's a true fact.

The only fact is that it is your opinion. No more, no less.

It is on BBC 4 Tonight at 8pm if anyone is watching because I am.

Quote: David Smith @ March 21 2013, 7:27 PM GMT

It is on BBC 4 Tonight at 8pm if anyone is watching because I am.

Good idea. Maybe I'll watch it.

Typical.

It's the Blanco pardoning episode.

Watched that on DVD literally yesterday!

Godber: "Pardon!"
Fletch: "Granted"