Porridge Page 3

I think it looks as much like Ronnie as any statue looks like the person they're representing.

Does anyone else think Ronnie C's legs look like that of a Muppet?

Quote: Leevil @ October 1 2010, 3:42 PM BST

Does anyone else think Ronnie C's legs look like that of a Muppet?

That's a terrible likeness of Ronnie Barker.

Well I get that it's Ronnie Barker, and I'm glad to see he's in character as Fletcher, the best thing he did.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ October 1 2010, 1:58 PM BST

Is it just me, or does this newly unvieled statue of Ronnie Barker look absolute bugger all like Ronnie Barker?

Don't remember Fletch having that much hair. Or perhaps - in order to save some cash on a 2-for-1 deal, they wanted to honour Javier Bardem's hair in No Country For Old Men at the same time?

Anyway, Ronnie Corbett's presence in the photo gives the game away - what they've actually produced is a new Monopoly piece in the shape of Fletch.

(Other height-related gags are available...)

Statues - Barker now has one, Morecambe has one, Benny Hill, but I'm struggling to think what other greats have one, does Peter Cook? for example, he certainly should have. Anyone got the full list of British comedy greats with statues, please?

BTW just 30 odd posts for one of the greatest TV sitcoms in history? Disgusting lack of respect, lack of knowledge, lack of judgment, lack of character, lack of age shown by so called comedy lovers. Angry And good evening.

Tommy Cooper, Arthur Lowe. I have a feeling there may be one of Ernie Wise somewhere too, but not certain on that point.

Oh yes I remember the Tommy Cooper one now. Didn't know of the Arthur Lowe one but he deserves it. Doesn't Ken Dodd have one although he's still not dead yet? And somewhwere at the back of my mind I remember talk at least of Bernard Manning getting one. Don't know if he got it tho. ??

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ October 3 2010, 7:24 PM BST

I remember talk at least of Bernard Manning getting one. Don't know if he got it tho. ??

Bloody well should have !

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ October 3 2010, 7:24 PM BST

Oh yes I remember the Tommy Cooper one now. Didn't know of the Arthur Lowe one but he deserves it. Doesn't Ken Dodd have one although he's still not dead yet? And somewhwere at the back of my mind I remember talk at least of Bernard Manning getting one. Don't know if he got it tho. ??

Ah yes, Ken does too. Don't recall hearing anything of Manning though.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2010/10/04/11858/ronnie_barker,_ideas_thief%3F

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 4 2010, 1:20 PM BST

Another writer, Ian Davidson, added: 'We were all chewed off, especially Dick, who wrote this wonderfully ingenious sketch based on Spoonerisms which became a real winner.

Some one should Mr Davidson the meaning of "chewed off" has changed, that or working for the BBC used to have better perks.

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 4 2010, 1:20 PM BST

Another writer, Ian Davidson, added: 'We were all chewed off, especially Dick, who wrote this wonderfully ingenious sketch based on Spoonerisms which became a real winner.

'The next year there was this [similar] sketch, written by Barker; no one had ever asked Dick for another one. It was one sketch, but it was the same damned idea, and it was Dick's idea - although there is no copyright on ideas, so you can't really argue on that basis. But the decent thing didn't come into it. That was our gripe. Among writers, taking an idea and doing it yourself is unforgiveable.'

Vosburgh's widow Beryl agreed, telling author Richard Webber: 'Dick was absolutely furious. He phoned up about it and was told an idea was transferable. He also asked for half the money and what's more he got it.' But Dick wouldn't quite let it lie - and sent a jokey telegram which said: 'Ronnie Parker, you're a brick.'

:D

At what stage during the run did he reveal that he was Wiley? I was under the impression that it was rather near the end, thus making any notion that other writers' could have known he was borrowing/stealing sketches and ideas a little questionable, surely?

Quote: Aaron @ October 4 2010, 1:41 PM BST

At what stage during the run did he reveal that he was Wiley? I was under the impression that it was rather near the end, thus making any notion that other writers' could have known he was borrowing/stealing sketches and ideas a little questionable, surely?

I think that Wiley was more-than-a-little-suspected by the producers as being Barker. Frankly, the idea that a totally unknown and anonymous writer such as Wiley would have got his sketches to screen without any questions, or without influence, is a little far-fetched. Barker was a fairly self-regarding person, is the impression I get. His famous modesty rather a front - just another part of the Barker legend.