Porridge Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ November 6, 2006, 8:18 AM

The Porridge movie is probably the best of the sitcom-movies from that era. It stayed pretty consistent with the normal show.

I dont think the movie is as good as the 30 min episodes, but it is better than the Dads army and Steptoe and son movies.

You think? I dunno. I reckon the Steptoe and Son and Dad's Army movies were up there too. Particularly the former.

I suppose Porridge has never really dated because the whole setting, reasoning and situations are (basically) no different now different to when it was written.

Cool stuff never heard of it. Just read the synopsis and it sounds really good I'll be sure to try and check it out.

Quote: Curt @ March 25, 2008, 2:38 PM

Cool stuff never heard of it. Just read the synopsis and it sounds really good I'll be sure to try and check it out.

This is all so wierd. You've never heard of Porridge which is understandable for a colonoial.

It really is a classic. Well written and acted.

I've never actually got round to seeing Going Straight, is it worth getting and watching on DVD? I appreciate it's not going to be up there with Porridge, but with the calibre of the people involved I find it hard to imagine it's a dud either.

Definitely worth it, yes. Especially when HMV have it for just £6.99!

Ronnie B was a national treasure.

This is a personal view but I cringe when I see some of the more recent stuff being compared with his material. The talent just isn't on the same level.

This is maybe the stuff of a different thread but I can think of many sitcoms where his presence and style would have turned something mediocre into a runaway success.

does anyone own a Porridge DVD?
Let me know, I have a very personal question regarding them :)

PS. Loved the program... even though the dialogs were a bit hard to understand for a non-British person. Hence the question...

Yes, I have all of them.

Yes, i have all of Porridge also. At least i believe i have.

Checklist (DVD only)

Series 1 (6 episodes)
Series 2 (6 episodes)
Series 3 (6 episodes)

Porridge The Movie
Porridge Christmas specials (2 episodes)

For me, Porridge is the best sitcom of all time, if you havnt seen it, then buy it, all of it! I cant recommend it highly enough, the main character Norman Stanley Fletcher is a wonderfully witty and sarcastic character played superbly by Ronnie Barker, yet never at any time does the character seem stale and neither does it drift into parody.

The supporting cast is also terrific, you could be forgiven for thinking that Fletch being such a dominant character would dominate every scene, but this just isnt the case, many of the supporting actors get plenty of opportunity to shine, and shine they do.

I also have the 1 series of going straight, and although it isnt the same without most of his usual supporting cast, it is still very well written and well worth the purchase

Yeah Ronnie Barker was ok I s'pose.

Ok? Ok? Lots of accolades so far in this thread but --- No, not enough.

Ronnie Barker was, and is, an absolute God of comedy.

Having only begun to achieve what he was always destined for he repeatedly supported other talent. I cite the wonderful David Jason and the much missed Richard Beckinsale.

Only successful performer who I can remember that managed to crediblly go into retirement long before we lost him: Only returning, briefly, because of the outstanding amount of demand and love for him from the public.

Should be a monument somewhere?

For ''Curt'' and the Latvian contributor ''Futtocks End'' - near the beginning of a legend.

Sorry if ''thing'' is on a rant but I rate that man soooooo much for everything he did for me - and you can't even to believe how such humour led so many of us to a happier home life.

I'd cite Victoria Wood similarly but Ronnie gets the Gold.

I can watch this over & over.
It is a genius comedy. No swearing, clever use of words to disguise what could be deemed as rude etc. Barker was a mega talent.

Quote: thing @ April 12 2008, 3:18 AM BST

Ronnie Barker was, and is, an absolute God of comedy.

Having only begun to achieve what he was always destined for he repeatedly supported other talent. I cite the wonderful David Jason and the much missed Richard Beckinsale.

Only successful performer who I can remember that managed to crediblly go into retirement long before we lost him: Only returning, briefly, because of the outstanding amount of demand and love for him from the public.

Should be a monument somewhere?

Sorry if ''thing'' is on a rant but I rate that man soooooo much for everything he did for me - and you can't even to believe how such humour led so many of us to a happier home life.

Indeed, indeed:

Quote: Aaron @ November 6 2006, 6:31 PM GMT

...But I did get to his last ever recording, The Two Ronnies Christmas Sketchbook, which I will never forget.

*sigh*

Is it just me, or does this newly unvieled statue of Ronnie Barker look absolute bugger all like Ronnie Barker?