BBC Three announces new 2011 commissions

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/00000546/bbc_three_comedy_for_2011/

:O

Really? Really?!

Prison, dog suit, cancer ward and bomb disposal unit.

Mental.

Why is that mental?

Plenty of comedies can be summed up with less than hilarious sounding premises but it's what you do with them, for instance you could say the following;

Dad's Army - it's about the potential Nazi invasion of Britain.
M.A.S.H - it's about horrific injuries and surgery during the Korean War and the effect of this on the psychological wellbeing of the medical staff.
Porridge - it's about habitual criminals, set in a Victorian style prison.

They hardly sound like recipes for hilarity do they? But they're actually amongst the most popular comedy programmes of all time.

Yeah but Miranda is set in a joke shop! :)

Quote: Tony Cowards @ May 26 2011, 2:15 PM BST

Why is that mental?

Plenty of comedies can be summed up with less than hilarious sounding premises but it's what you do with them...

It's not really that. It just looks like BBC Three commissioners went a bit mental for the day.

Certainly an interesting array of commissions. Very intrigued by Life Stories, less so by the others. Looking forward to seeing them on TV though.

I'm really looking forward to "I.E.D" the comedy about Bomb Disposal officers, mainly because it's written by James Cary who wrote "Hut 33" and co-writes with Milton Jones for his Radio 4 shows (as well as writing for "Miranda").

Life Stories is the most interesting for me at the moment, coming as it does from Sharon Horgan.

I agree with Matthew!

Hang on???????

But yes, she is great so she is. :)

Yes, Horgan's great. Perhaps they're trying to make amends for pulling Pulling.