On The Buses

In my book this is the best sitcom of all-time.It had it all:- superb cast,brilliant scripts and writers,memorable moments,great chemistry between the characters,one-liners and double entendres.

Its like the Carry On films in that it doesn't matter how many times I watch them they still are hilarious.Great that the Complete Boxset will finally be brought out on the 13th of November.I can hardly wait.

Each to their own, I suppose, but in my book this is one of the worst British sitcoms of all time. It was corny, naff and horribly sexist at the time and unsurprisingly has dated badly. Reg Varney and his equally ugly mate Stan cop off with a load of busty babes. Stan has a sandwich. Reg Varney gets in trouble with Blakey. Stan has a sandwich. Olive's husband berates her for being ugly despite the fact that he is no oil painting. Reg Varney gets off with some more birds. Stan has his tea. The end.

Well if you are politically correct its not for you.Frankly all this PC we get killed REAL comedy and opened the door to garbage like Little Britain,My Family etc etc.

By the way if it was soooo sexist then I am sure it would have sunk before it started as the women would not have been found to play the parts.

Political correctness paving the way for Little Britain, a show which routinely pokes fun at working class women, black people, gays, foreigners etc.

As for your comment that if it was so sexist they wouldn't have found actresses to play the parts - that's even sillier than your point about political correctness killing 'real' comedy.

No perhaps I should have explained clearer.

On The Buses much like another great comedy institution (Carry On films)were built around innuendo and double entendres hinting at rudeness or sex etc.It leaves a lot up to the viewers own interpretation without over-stepping the mark.

Little Britain over-steps that mark and comes right out with rude comments and scenes etc.Sort of akin to schoolboy humour relying on crudeness or laughing at the afflicted to get its laughs....in other words very cheap.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree about OTB, but good point about LB - it is very cheap, although I thought the first series was OK and then it went downhill to the point where the third series was unwatchable.

On The Buses is the second best sitcom of all time, number one being Rab C of course.

Quote: Wheeler @ November 3, 2006, 4:43 PM

...but good point about LB - it is very cheap, although I thought the first series was OK and then it went downhill to the point where the third series was unwatchable.

Agreed. I've said it before, and I'll say it again; series one was gold. Series 2 was pretty good. Series 3 was utterly, UTTERLY painful.

Anyway, back on topic. I certainly understand what Craig means about PC and comedy and so on, and for what it's worth, I mostly agree. Either way, I've not really seen any On The Buses to be able to comment particularly, but I do have some somewhere. Will have to find what I've got and have a watch. :)
(I've seen one of the movies, and it struck me as entertaining, but not hilarious.)

Well Aaron (in my opinion) the TV series was better than the films.The first series was more of a moulding of the characters but still worth a watch even without Doris Hare playing the mother.

The 2nd series was short but very sweet but the 3rd series is my personal favourite.In reply to the earlier post that it has dated badly I disagree.I run an On The Buses Forum with many youngsters on it that weren't born when On The Buses was on our screens but they love it and would take it anytime over modern day comedy.

[quote name=In reply to the earlier post that it has dated badly I disagree.I run an On The Buses Forum with many youngsters on it that weren't born when On The Buses was on our screens but they love it and would take it anytime over modern day comedy.
[/quote]

That doesn't prove that it hasn't dated. All that proves is that some people have a shit taste in comedy just as they did in the '70s.

Your OTB forum doesn't work. A shame as I'm dying to hear the thoughts of all these young people who apparently love the show and prefer it to modern comedy.

Bad taste in comedy eh?How come it was around at the time renowned as the golden era of comedy?Its called a golden era for a reason you know because if the depth in quality of British sitcoms.

What is there nowadays?Rubbish,rubbish and yet more rubbish.

Thomps74 try http://onthebusesforum.myfastforum.org

Golden era of comedy, eh? Yeah, there were some classics, but a lot of rubbish as well. Time to take off the rose tinted specs.

Nowadays there is a load of rubbish fullstop.

Perhaps you take your similarly tinted specs off about new age comedy.

I should have known better than to argue with an OTB geek.