The ultimate in plagiarism! Page 3

Quote: Griff @ May 6 2011, 3:19 PM BST

I tell you when anagrams annoy me. When they are plot points in films for no good reason. Like in Shutter Island. It's like the audience are supposed to go "It was right there in front of my face! Those two characters names are made from the same letters! Now all their motivation makes sense and the story is believable!"

Surely you don't take umbrage with the ingeniously monickered Dr. Alucard from the hit movie Dracula AD 1972?

Not finding anagrams funny enough? Why simply try

GRIFF'S HIP PILL

And you'll be chuckling until Doctor Who this saturday, then you may need to up the dose!

Quote: Marc P @ May 6 2011, 3:21 PM BST

The rhyming one!

:)

May I suggest Walker's. Rhyming dictionary, not crisps.

Quote: Griff @ May 6 2011, 3:33 PM BST

Oh my GOD! That spells... !!! :O

A lard crud! Laughing out loud

Just briefly,with regard to just shoving a name in an anagram generator. Firstly,Osama Bin laden produces simply thousands of anagrams. The art of getting something relevant, topical and mildly amusing out of the letters is slightly different to just coming up with a random phrase. An example of one such anagrams (not originated by me,I hasten to add) was an anagram of Nigel Lawson when he was Chancellor of The exchequer. The anagram "We all sign on" which was apt both for the times the country was going through and the position Lawson held.

PS - In fact, try putting Osamabinladen into here http://wordsmith.org/anagram/ You get almost 72,000 options, none of them being the anagram I created,despite the fact I used this very same anagram generator. The secret was to take key words from the incident and insist they formed part of the anagram via an advanced search. Giving away too much now. You'll all be after a piece of the action next time a major story breaks.

PPS - I would never have had time to look through 72000 options anyway! It only displays the first thousand results.

One thing I've found is even the best joke is one that someone else will have thought of already. The advice I always get on topical courses is use your 3rd idea. As every one else will have thought of the 1st and 2nd already.

But if your first idea is to use your third idea, surely someone will have already done that?

Dan

My first idea was writing Dan at the end of every one of my posts.

Damn!

First as in the first one you thought not as in your best joke.

'A damn alien S.O.B.'

Another rather nice anagram of the newly-deaded extremist.

'Ola mean Sinbad!'

This reminded me of a true story that happened years ago.

A man asked me a conundrum.

He said 'What do the words Orchestra and Horsecart have in common'
I replied almost immediately 'they are anagrams'

He shook his head slowly and very sagely said, 'No, they both have exactly the same letters'

Not sure if this is off topic or not, and I am a newbie, so forgive any naivety or ignorance on my part.
Since I decided to do comedy (about a fortnight ago), I've wrestled with the problem of what to do with material I create ? Do I keep it to myself ? Maybe I might write the best joke ever, then cut my hand off, as I'm sure that I will never write such a good joke again ? If I post my stuff, on here or on Twitter, then it's 'out there' and if any of it is good enough, someone will use it. But if I keep it under wraps, sooner or later, someone might come up with the same joke, and mine will become redundant.

At the moment I'm leaning towards this way of thinking:

I need to be the best comedian I can be. The material I write today will not be as funny as the material I write tomorrow. If any of my gags receive good feedback or get used elsewhere, then I'm on the right track. Developing my own talent is the only way to true success, personal or global.

I have a pocket watch at home. I keep it in a bedside drawer. It's the most beautiful thing I have ever owned. Nobody knows it but me....

Wow! really good luck with that Park Bench.

I wish I had the balls to do something like that too.

Hope it works out for you matey.

Watched the Jimmy Carr live thing tonight, well a bit of it and he made a joke about picturing your audience naked to deal with stage fright. Which ended with although it doesn't work at primary school.

It might not be an amazingly original joke, but I wrote that a few years ago. Oi, Carr. You stoled my joke! And on my birthday! Bastard.

That live show was a bit shit anywayz.