The Big Bottom Box!

I managed to get hold of The Big Bottom Box DVD collection this afternoon in my local CEX shop! In the HMV near me they wanted £40 for this and I got it for £25! :)

Oddly enough I already have most of the DVDs in this boxset but don't have the first Bottom Live that they did as it is as rare as rocking horse poo and I have seen DVDs of this sell upwards of £30 just for that so this boxset is a bargain as far as I am concerned!

Starring Rik Mayal and Adrian Edmondson this has got to be one of the finest examples of modern day slapstick comedy at its rudest and best!

I was reading on the net the other day (so not sure how true this is), that the last series of Bottom that they wrote never got produced as the BBC refused to do it. Rik and Adrian said it was their best work yet and would have made absolutely fantastic TV and finale to the series. :(

Give me the Young Ones any day! The Young Ones was whacky, inventive and unpredictable. I'd bet my mother's legs Bottom was written on a Sunday afternoon with a crate of beer and fifty Woodbines for company.

Wow - well done wii-man. As you say, Bottom Live 1 is rather rare! (or it was, they bought out 1 and 2 together in a new box at the start of the year See Amazon product listing)

There is definitely something to be said for comedy delivered via a live stage show. The various cock-ups in Bottom Live 2 made me laugh a lot (Rick shouting at the door for not closing for example).

Quote: Mark @ June 12, 2007, 6:13 PM

Wow - well done wii-man. As you say, Bottom Live 1 is rather rare! (or it was, they bought out 1 and 2 together in a new box at the start of the year See Amazon product listing)

There is definitely something to be said for comedy delivered via a live stage show. The various cock-ups in Bottom Live 2 made me laugh a lot (Rick shouting at the door for not closing for example).

I never got to see them do this live as that would have been great!

==========

Eddie: Do my ears decieve me?

Richie: Why, are they telling you that you don't smell like Nellie the elephants fanny?

lol

:D

Hi all Wave
I'm a big fan of Bottom and The Young Ones. Bottom the tv show was excelant but i found the live shows not nearly as funny. Rik Mayall's character is far too camp and not very watchable. I've got all the Bottom live dvds but have not actually seen the show "live". Maybe i would of enjoyed it alot more.
I went to see Rik's live standup in the '80s and remember being disapointed with it too.

Just one question before i go. Wheres the spellchecker on this forum? I hate showing my lack of edgimication on the internet :S

There isn't one at the moment. I'm hoping to put one in when the site's relaunched in a month or so.
In the meantime, I'm a lean-mean-spellin'-machine. I can only see two mistakes with spelling in that post (excellent and disappointed), but just capitalisation; I should always be capitalised, ditto TV and DVD (or DVDs), the "where's" needs an apostrophe, and errr, "would have enjoyed it". :)

But don't worry; you're far better than some members we've had! :D

As someone who likes to purchase things in order...

I combed the earth for a copy of the first live Bottom DVD, but couldn't get a deal cheaper than £25 (AUD$60), and THAT was for a second hand copy!!! When this box finnally came, I nearly did too. For amazon.uk where selling it for the same price.

Had to take it around and do marathons once i got it. It's bloody exhausting watching just two in a row.

Just ordered it... very excited!

Just started watching this - wow! The energy they maintain on stage is super-human, it makes me tired just watching!
I hope they do some more of this - I hope they do something else - perhaps the recent "Let's Dance" segments have ignited the passion and this retirement home sitcom they talk about is serious!

Bottom is my fave sitcom of all time, but personally I've always been disappointed with the live shows.

Poor story lines and they adlib and mess up far too much for it to be funny.

Hooligans Island is easily the best one though.

Quote: lofthouse @ April 30 2011, 4:47 PM BST

Bottom is my fave sitcom of all time, but personally I've always been disappointed with the live shows.

Poor story lines and they adlib and mess up far too much for it to be funny.

Hooligans Island is easily the best one though.

I agree that the guys' humour works best in short sharp shocks - restraint is a fine line in their kind of humour - but I still found plenty to laugh at in the live shows that I have seen and the film - "Guest House Paradiso".

I've also heard that a lot of the corpsing they did was actually scripted and not them simply messing up at all.

That's just wrong!

I love the 10 minutes in the first live show when Rik and Ade are basically saying whatever comes into their heads, and Rik berating the audience for applauding Ade. :P

Quote: lofthouse @ May 1 2011, 11:45 AM BST

I've also heard that a lot of the corpsing they did was actually scripted and not them simply messing up at all.

That's just wrong!

Showbiz phony, shocker!

Quote: lofthouse @ May 1 2011, 11:45 AM BST

That's just wrong!

Went to one of their live shows and remembered seeing them screw a line. Then got the DVD filmed in London and the same screw up was there :(