Seinfeld Page 2

As a fan Of Curb I suppose I must take the time to view this. Never even seen 1 episode.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ June 10, 2007, 10:43 PM

Possibly the best sitcom of all time. Just superb, a fan of comedy has to be a fan of Seinfeld in my book, just magnificent writing, brilliant characters, smart plots and most importantly very very funny. It is best to start from the beginning and although Season 1-3 have some great episodes its from Season 4 onwards where it becomes a classic with every episode just getting better and better, a truly masterful and amazing sitcom.

The Virgin Megastore near me have them in a sale, you can buy the Season 1-3 boxset for £17. So might be worth checking out your local Virgin Megastore.

Well that IS cheap. Might stop in tomorrow on the way to work.

Quote: charley rance @ June 10, 2007, 10:47 PM

As a fan Of Curb I suppose I must take the time to view this. Never even seen 1 episode.

I think you'll really enjoy it.

George is Larry David. I think Julia Louis Dreyfus is brilliant as Elaine and Jerry's alright I suppose Pleased

Quote: oddjob @ June 10, 2007, 6:37 PM

I've never seen it, but I've heard good things about it. But, is it really one of the best sitcoms of all time? and, is it worth the money to buy the DVDs?

Thanks for any responses.

Oh My God! I can't believe you have never seen this fantasic show infamously "the show about nothing"!!!

Mind you, saying that - if I remember correctly when it was shown on UK TV the BBC had the rights to it and stuck in on BB2 very late at night/early morning so if you weren't aware of it you couldn't tape it to watch it at a more decent hour.

Seinfeld has to be one of the greatest sitcoms of all time! The basic plot is about how the standup commedian, Jerry Seinfeld gets his material - from everyday life!

I have all the DVDs so far and can 100% say YES! You it is worth getting them on DVD! The last series/season to be released came out the other day and is the penultimate season. If you look at places like HMV or play.com there are some good offers on the early seasons so have a look!

:)

Quote: wii-man76 @ June 11, 2007, 12:29 AM

Mind you, saying that - if I remember correctly when it was shown on UK TV the BBC had the rights to it and stuck in on BB2 very late at night/early morning so if you weren't aware of it you couldn't tape it to watch it at a more decent hour.

I used to watch it then but I was only about 10 at the time so I don't think I would've appreciated it as much as I do now.

Paramount always gave it pretty good treatment, but I've not noticed it scheduled for a while.

What I've always liked about 'Seinfeld' are the mutitude of subplots running through any one episode. The soup Nazi episode is one of the best episodes which, somehow, doesn't offend. The additional stuff on the DVD's offer an invaluable insight into what it takes to make a programme of such a high quality and shows why Larry David is brilliant in 'Curb' - because he's playing himself. Although this is one of my pet hates in actors, for some reason it doesn't seem to bother me.

I think, in the modern era, this show remains the very best of the elite programmes that have come out of America - not that there's anything wrong with that.

Seinfeld is cool but a little cheesey.

I love the scripts, having read a few. they're a masterclass in sitcom writing. just google for them. never been a 'massive' fan though - probably as haven't watched enough episodes.

There's a Seinfeld sketch comp over at 4laughs - http://www.channel4.com/4laughs/share/competition.jsp?competitionId=5620

Well Martin, I went into Virgin today, and they had seasons 3 onwards as individual boxsets (£15 each), but none of the S1&2 sets. Boo hiss.

Quote: Aaron @ June 11, 2007, 10:00 PM

Well Martin, I went into Virgin today, and they had seasons 3 onwards as individual boxsets (£15 each), but none of the S1&2 sets. Boo hiss.

HMV online are selling it for £11.99 with free delivery at the moment:

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=322230

Quote: Aaron @ June 11, 2007, 10:00 PM

Ah shame. Just checking the Virgin Megastore website. £59.99 for the Series 1-3 Boxset!!! I'm shocked, it's seriously £17 for the boxset at my local Megastore.

Quote: wii-man76 @ June 11, 2007, 10:15 PM

HMV online are selling it for £11.99 with free delivery at the moment:

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=322230

Not sure I'm that bothered to want to put up with the potential hassle of HMV Online. Just had to send a couple of things back to them with huge scratches on. Bah.

Seinfield is far superior to any US network sitcom (with maybe the exception of MASH) but it is on the same level or below, I think, the better UK sitcoms and the HBO comedy shows such as Curb and Larry Sanders.

....waiting for the backlash.