The Royal Bodyguard Page 2

Hello you!

Quote: KLRiley @ April 14 2011, 7:38 AM BST

Hat Trick plus Bussell

I did a project with Hat Trick once. It was less than stellar.

Quote: David Bussell @ April 15 2011, 9:50 AM BST

I did a project with Hat Trick once. It was less than stellar.

They paid you with Fosters?

Schedule isn't final, but it looks like this starts Christmas Day.

Didn't BBC also put the first ever episode of 'Come Fly With Me' on Christmas Day, too? Or did I imagine that?

They did, yes.

Thought so!

Also, Royal Bodyguard now beginning 9:30pm on Boxing Day, according to Radio Times... http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2011-11-29/christmas-tv-scheduling-confirmed-for-doctor-who,-strictly-and-downton

Quote: Ben700 @ November 29 2011, 5:56 PM GMT

Just saw that the writers for this are Mark Bussell and Justin Sbresni

Never heard of them and a quick Google search didn't help me either.

Are they any good?

They are, yes. They've written/for many shows, including The Armstrong & Miller Show, Barbara, The Worst Week Of My Life, and recent pilot Guantanamo Phil.

Has anyone seen the preview screeming this yet or heard any reviews?

I really want this to be good but it just screams flop at me.

Quote: Ben700 @ November 30 2011, 12:54 PM GMT

What has led you to that viewpoint? Why so negative? At least wait until the first episode has aired.

It's a new BBC sitcom with David Jason starring in it.

What more do you want?

Because it's a BBC One sitcom designed for a mass audience. It's hardly been the most successful genre in TV recently. And, as a big David Jason fan, I really don't want it to be poor.

Boxing Day is a very prestigious slot to put it in. Wonder why they didn't give After You've Gone with Nick Lyndhurst a slot like that. That went out in late-January, if I recall correctly.

I don't recall a sitcom before last year's Come Fly With Me as starting during the Christmas period. Think it might be a new idea they've had.

Quote: Aaron @ December 1 2011, 12:08 AM GMT

I don't recall a sitcom before last year's Come Fly With Me as starting during the Christmas period. Think it might be a new idea they've had.

It's the best slot of the year to launch a new sitcom, there is pretty much nowhere else all year that could have got CFWM 12m for its first episode. But, there is a feeling that a sitcom or any show has to deserve a primetime Christmas Day slot and shouldn't just debut there.

There's also the risk that a slightly drunk and not-entirely-attentive public think it's just a one-off at Christmas. I imagine it's a tricky balance for schedulers; lots of possible negatives, but also, as you point out, unparallelled audience opportunities.

Read a few reviews for this and it seems mainly positive so far, sounds quite silly and full of slapstick which will probably divide a lot of people.

Good interview on here too. Has anyone on this site seen it yet?

Alas not yet. Hoping I might get a chance later in the week. It sounds increasingly like I'll enjoy it, but I'm still naggingly aware that it could be another Big Top.