The Royal Bodyguard Page 2

The Royal Bodyguard. Image shows from L to R: Colonel Dennis Whittington (Geoffrey Whitehead), Yates (Tim Downie), Captain Guy Hubble (David Jason), Sir Edward Hastings (Timothy Bentinck).

The Royal Bodyguard

Sir David Jason stars as newly promoted Royal Protection Officer Captain Guy Hubble, a man unquestionably totally out of his depth

David Bussell

• Friday 15th April 2011, 9:50am
  • London, England
  • 9,943 posts
Quote: KLRiley @ April 14 2011, 7:38 AM BST Hat Trick plus Bussell

I did a project with Hat Trick once. It was less than stellar.

sootyj

• Friday 15th April 2011, 9:55am
  • England
  • 51,287 posts
Quote: David Bussell @ April 15 2011, 9:50 AM BST I did a project with Hat Trick once. It was less than stellar.

They paid you with Fosters?

Feeoree

• Monday 28th November 2011, 11:40pm
  • Basildon, England
  • 606 posts

Schedule isn't final, but it looks like this starts Christmas Day.

Didn't BBC also put the first ever episode of 'Come Fly With Me' on Christmas Day, too? Or did I imagine that?

Aaron

• Monday 28th November 2011, 11:41pm
  • Royal Berkshire, England
  • 68,739 posts

They did, yes.

dennispennis123

• Wednesday 30th November 2011, 4:53am
  • United Kingdom
  • 420 posts

Has anyone seen the preview screeming this yet or heard any reviews?

I really want this to be good but it just screams flop at me.

dennispennis123

• Wednesday 30th November 2011, 3:06pm [Edited]
  • United Kingdom
  • 420 posts
Quote: Ben700 @ November 30 2011, 12:54 PM GMT What has led you to that viewpoint? Why so negative? At least wait until the first episode has aired.

It's a new BBC sitcom with David Jason starring in it.

What more do you want?

Because it's a BBC One sitcom designed for a mass audience. It's hardly been the most successful genre in TV recently. And, as a big David Jason fan, I really don't want it to be poor.

Dave

• Wednesday 30th November 2011, 9:28pm
  • United Kingdom
  • 1,172 posts

Boxing Day is a very prestigious slot to put it in. Wonder why they didn't give After You've Gone with Nick Lyndhurst a slot like that. That went out in late-January, if I recall correctly.

Aaron

• Thursday 1st December 2011, 12:08am
  • 68,739 posts

I don't recall a sitcom before last year's Come Fly With Me as starting during the Christmas period. Think it might be a new idea they've had.

dennispennis123

• Thursday 1st December 2011, 1:51am [Edited]
  • United Kingdom
  • 420 posts
Quote: Aaron @ December 1 2011, 12:08 AM GMT I don't recall a sitcom before last year's Come Fly With Me as starting during the Christmas period. Think it might be a new idea they've had.

It's the best slot of the year to launch a new sitcom, there is pretty much nowhere else all year that could have got CFWM 12m for its first episode. But, there is a feeling that a sitcom or any show has to deserve a primetime Christmas Day slot and shouldn't just debut there.

Aaron

• Thursday 1st December 2011, 1:55am
  • 68,739 posts

There's also the risk that a slightly drunk and not-entirely-attentive public think it's just a one-off at Christmas. I imagine it's a tricky balance for schedulers; lots of possible negatives, but also, as you point out, unparallelled audience opportunities.

dennispennis123

• Wednesday 7th December 2011, 2:19am [Edited]
  • United Kingdom
  • 420 posts

Read a few reviews for this and it seems mainly positive so far, sounds quite silly and full of slapstick which will probably divide a lot of people.

Good interview on here too. Has anyone on this site seen it yet?

Aaron

• Wednesday 7th December 2011, 2:40am [Edited]
  • 68,739 posts

Alas not yet. Hoping I might get a chance later in the week. It sounds increasingly like I'll enjoy it, but I'm still naggingly aware that it could be another Big Top.