Porterhouse Blue

Having long since lost my video edition of this, I recently downloaded the 4-part C4 TV adaptation (1987) from iTunes and took the opportunity of watching it again... and what a fantastic piece of proper comedy-drama it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porterhouse_Blue#TV_mini-series

Adapted from the Tom Sharpe classic, with a script by Malcolm Bradbury, it reeks (in every sense) of class. A superb cast (Ian Richardson, David Jason, a frighteningly-young John Sessions, Charles Gray - plus a role from Griff Rhys Jones) playing out a gloriously black comedy, with great production. Anyone who was too young/disinclined to see this when it first aired should definitely take a look. It's an example of what can be done with the genre when time, talent (and money) are invested.

David Jason, as Skullion, gives what I believe to be still be his best ever performance (he won the Best Actor BAFTA for it) and there are some lovely, pitch-perfect comic performances from the ensemble cast. For example, the late Lockwood West as the frail and indiscreet Chaplain, is a delight (btw, I didn't realise it until now, but he was Timothy West's father).

This is a show which C4 used to make but (to my knowledge) never bothers to give a repeat airing - probably because it would remind its viewers of a time when it produced this kind of quality on a fairly regular basis. In fact, it's probably the kind of series Stewart Lee was thinking about when he imagined "the Head of Channel 4, when he looks at the old schedules, must feel like an syphilitic elderly ladies' man leafing through a photograph album of all the society beauties he used to romance, all of them now dead. Dead because of him, because of what he did..."

It's on UK History or some other cable channel that's 203 on Virgin.

And I watced and enjoyed it, good character based comedy.

And don't forget based on one of Tom Sharpes best novels.

If you liked it try Blott on the Landscape (not as good but still a good series).

But avoid the dreadful Wilt film.

Reminds me a little of House of Cards. That same strongly, storied, well acted comedy that needs nothing as crude as a gag.

It was on Yesterday today, maybe still on. Good stuff.

British TV used to do so many amazing quality things. This. Nice Work. Life and Loves of a She-Devil. The Gravy Train. GBH. Love on a Branch Line. Anything by Dennis Potter. Now we have Candy Cabs. :(

and The Accused, The Street, LOM there's still some quality out there

Quote: sootyj @ April 9 2011, 12:09 PM BST

And don't forget based on one of Tom Sharpes best novels.

Which you would know, Sir; if you was a gentleman.

Quote: sootyj @ April 9 2011, 12:30 PM BST

there's still some quality out there

Not nearly enough.

Quote: Tim Walker @ April 9 2011, 11:55 AM BST

David Jason, as Skullion, gives what I believe to be still be his best ever performance (he won the Best Actor BAFTA for it) and there are some lovely, pitch-perfect comic performances from the ensemble cast.

It is indeed superb. I missed it the first time around, but picked it up on DVD a couple of years ago (mainly because I am big fan of Ian Richardson on account of House of Cards et al) and have watched it twice. Catchy theme song too.

Quote: chipolata @ April 9 2011, 12:28 PM BST

British TV used to do so many amazing quality things. This. Nice Work. Life and Loves of a She-Devil. The Gravy Train. GBH. Love on a Branch Line. Anything by Dennis Potter. Now we have Candy Cabs. :(

:D

Ian Richardson is not a great match to the character though, he's too majestic and malevolent. The master is actually a bit pathetic and weedy in the book.

I loved him in House of Cards though, shiversomely and brilliant.

Funnily enough I was watching this on 4OD just the other day - concur with all the above.

Do we really not make stuff like this any more?

Excuse me for asking a question I should know the answer to myself, but I've been away.

Oh and the theme music is ace.

It is indeed very good - I have the good old fashioned legit video tape still. I was living in Ely when they filmed the front gate bits there. You can see Ely's High Street at one point, but of course through the gate would be Ely Cathedral, rather than any kind of university - ah the marvels of television!

Wilt was a bit of a disaster, but Blott on The Landscape is a great adaption, especially with that fake man-made brass band music. I'd like to see The Throwback, and the Great Pursuit turned into TV productions. Forget Dickens and Austen, Tom Sharpe books are the real classics!