Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - Series 2 Page 15

More from an irritated Stew:

Quote: Stew's Newsletter

DVD available June 20th, including extra material from Alan Moore and Nick Pynn. It is ace.
The DVD will include the ten minute part of the massively expanded 2004 Braveheart routine, which was previously available on Stand-Up Comedian, the in-lines and out-lines which set up the largely variable mid-sections of the Otters and IRA improvisations, which were previously available on If You Prefer and Stand-Up Comedian respectively, framing different material, and the dyslexia joke, which I think was also on If You Prefer.
Thus the total of previously commercially available material on the DVD is about 15 mins of the 180 mins of the TV series, or about 15 mins of the 200 mins or so on the DVD. It is not 'over half' the series, as you petty on-line pricks keep saying so f**k off.

If it felt that way it is because everything I do is the same but with the words changed.
Some twats are complaining that there are no extras. The series' budget was reduced by 54%. There is no extra material. Everything we shot we used in the series.
The Red Button extras were other people's material so it would not be appropriate to steal them off them for commercial release when they thought they were doing stuff for Red Button content only.
People complaining about the lack of extras are complaining about the lack of SOME STUFF WHICH DOESN'T EXIST. There are extras on the DVDs of more expensive shows because THEY CAN AFFORD TO OVERSHOOT.
We couldn't. There isn't any more. F**k off.

Dan

Hmmm, I wonder what websites he's referring to...

Have you been saying that on here? I haven't seen it.

Me? I'd never say that... I might have said something vaguely along those lines though! I'm sure he wasn't just on about me though, if he was even including me in that. I never said anything about a lack of extra's though. I didn't know that was the case apart from anything else.

I was just wondering what websites he's been looking on as much as anything.

What do people think he's like in person? I think he should sign up on here so he can PM me and no-one else. And I think he should review Tony's stand up if he can, that'd be fun.

Sorry, I didn't mean you you! Just 'you lot'.

In fairness I think I might be the only one who said anything along the lines of what he was complaining about. I said it seemed like over half (around 80%) was stuff I'd heard before, which is how it seemed to me, but I could be wrong.

I thought he'd done the opposite of what Frankie Boyle et al tend to do, re-using stand up jokes for TV, so at least people couldn't complain he was re-using jokes in the bread and butter of his career, stand up. And that this series was aimed more at a new audience who weren't that familiar with his stand up and he wanted to make it more accessible for them.

I mean people in the public eye are always going to get slagged off by some people, I wouldn't worry about that sort of thing if I was him, but it seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face if you insult fans for being critical at all.

Quote: zooo @ June 29 2011, 8:59 PM BST

Sorry, I didn't mean you you! Just 'you lot'.

Surely you mean "us lot" zooo? With nearly 48000 posts you're much more "us" than most of us.

That's true, statistically speaking her and Aaron have a lot to answer for.

Very true!
But I've never said anything negative about Stewart Lee, for I love him. :)

What do you think he's like off stage then? I got the impression he's quite a nice guy, with a bit of a naughty school boy streak, if you know what I mean. Which seems slightly at odds with that newsletter, even his stage persona was pretty nice in the series.

He's a perfectly nice, polite, charming person on every interview I've ever seen.

Quote: Vader @ June 29 2011, 9:50 PM BST

What do you think he's like off stage then? I got the impression he's quite a nice guy, with a bit of a naughty school boy streak, if you know what I mean. Which seems slightly at odds with that newsletter, even his stage persona was pretty nice in the series.

It's not like he's written the newsletter unaware that anyone's going to read it though? It's been written in character quite clearly - although I could imagine that he does genuinely get wound up to some extent offstage too.

I can understand him getting wound up by critisism, to be fair, with the amount of effort he puts into his routines and with the idea in his head that he could have been much more rich and famous if he wanted (at the expense of his idea of art and morals) I'm sure that people still complaining about his routines after this sacrifice probably grates on him somewhat.

Whilst in all of the interviews I have seen him on before he has been polite and come across rather nice, in each of them he does show visable spite for different groups/people, such as the people who complained about "Jerry Springer: The Opera" and the BBC commisioners when they mucked him about a bit over the second series.

As for the idea that series two of comedy vehicle being aimed at new audiances I belive that 100% as it was series two that made me enjoy Stewart Lee for the first time. I think this is a mixture of the material he used and me just growing up a bit since the first series. This series has helped me to understand Stewart Lee and his comedy which has lead me to enjoy other comedy of his that I had seen before and absolutly detested at the time.

He was very polite on This Week last week and that involves talking to Andrew Neil, so he must be pretty Zen in real life.

He was probably just having a bad day and needed to sound off. Certainly didn't need some idiot posting what he said in a newsletter into an open forum!

Dan