My Family, loved by the youth!

My Family is loved be the youth, as can be seen here in this artical from a leicestershire youth website: http://www.thejitty.com/articles/my-family-the-sitcom-of-our-time .

Pass me a tin of SPAM please!

AARRGGHHH Sorry. I spoke to the guy I'm doing work experience with (the Youth Worker who manages the site), he frowned a bit and said that I should have spoken to the moderators or people who run the site before even contemplating posting links on here. So once again my apologies! If you have any constructive criticism, it would be gratefully appreciated though.

I'm young and I think My Family is crap.

Sorry to be so negative but I hate it when people make generalisations like that!

I live in Leicestershire and being only 21, you can count me as 'young'.

That website is talking out of its arse. I don't know any person aged between 15 and 25 who has ever admitted to me that they watch or like 'My Family'. Quite the opposite, in fact.

If anything, I've found that the show is more popular with people aged 40 and above, because of its tame (and largely unfunny) scripts.

I actually quite liked My Family when it first started. Wasn't brilliant by any stretch of the imagination but there were some good lines and (at the time) decent characters. It's gone on for far too long, but everyone knows that, even the cast themselves.

Quote: aquasplash3 @ April 3 2011, 8:32 PM BST

I'm young and I think My Family is crap.

Sorry to be so negative but I hate it when people make generalisations like that!

;) You should talk to social services! Seriously, keep posting. We need young comments.

Quote: Joey Moose @ April 4 2011, 11:56 PM BST

If anything, I've found that the show is more popular with people aged 40 and above, because of its tame (and largely unfunny) scripts.

So young people like exciting funny scripts whereas older people like lame unfunny scripts?

Quote: chipolata @ April 14 2011, 10:41 AM BST

So young people like exciting funny scripts whereas older people like lame unfunny scripts?

;) Like another young poster said, "It's for coffin dodgers". I agree that everything has to appeal to "The common denominator" well who is that? Yes old people! The bloody majority now, it is depressing.

PS 'My Family' is utter crap!

Never really understood the vitriol aimed at 'My Family'. I will admit that it's not my cup of tea but so what? It was an interesting experiment in the whole team writing concept, it seemed to pull in some pretty good viewing figures (which for a BBC programme has to mean something) and seemed tame enough to me.

Can we no longer just accept that we might not like something without the need to be so rude about it?

Quote: Matov @ April 15 2011, 8:10 AM BST

Never really understood the vitriol aimed at 'My Family'. I will admit that it's not my cup of tea but so what? It was an interesting experiment in the whole team writing concept, it seemed to pull in some pretty good viewing figures (which for a BBC programme has to mean something) and seemed tame enough to me.

Can we no longer just accept that we might not like something without the need to be so rude about it?

*tries to imagine an internet free of vitriol and rudeness*

Quote: chipolata @ April 15 2011, 10:06 AM BST

*tries to imagine an internet free of vitriol and rudeness*

Dat true. :D

I just struggle to work out why such a harmless show which is aimed at a broad family audience, at a time when you would expect such a show to be aired and which has bought in some good viewing figures has become the centre of so much anger.

I mean I love debating comedy and have my own pet 'hates' (The League of Gentlemen for one-about as funny as [insert some smart arsed remark here]), but I tend to just make a choice not to watch.

Still c'est la vie.

:) Matov, sorry you thought my remarks were 'Too harsh' regarding 'My Family'.

I did mention 'The lowest common denominator' and 'Appealing to majority', I believe these to be valid points.

I do believe 'My Family' is a gentle and predictable 'sitcom', not fresh or innovative.

When comedy is written by 'The Team', things can get muddled ideas 'watered down'.

I realise that you didn't like 'League of Gentleman', a much darker comedy, but I support your right to express your opinion.

Quote: dellas @ April 15 2011, 7:59 PM BST

:) Matov, sorry you thought my remarks were 'Too harsh' regarding 'My Family'.

I did mention 'The lowest common denominator' and 'Appealing to majority', I believe these to be valid points.

I do believe 'My Family' is a gentle and predictable 'sitcom', not fresh or innovative.

When comedy is written by 'The Team', things can get muddled ideas 'watered down'.

I realise that you didn't like 'League of Gentleman', a much darker comedy, but I support your right to express your opinion.

No apology needed. Just a tad bemused by the hysteria over this show, that is all because I don't see the BBC pretending it's meant to be anything else than light family entertainment. Horses for courses and all that old pony (no pun intended). :)

I think one of the reasons why people get so heated about My Family is that it is a BBC show, and some feel that their perception of poor programming is a waste of their licence fee.

Also because it is a big pile of steaming horse shit.