People who dislike Michael Barrymore = ignorant Page 6

It's terrible really that, because it was his house, he's treated like a murderer.

I just tried to watch the clip from The Late Late Show on RTE and my toes still hurt from curling.

It's eight minutes long, I managed about three of them. That's three that I'll never get back again.

It was either close the page or smash my laptop to smithereens.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ March 29 2011, 1:42 PM BST

I know it was a different time but really, was this acceptable in the 80s?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKnL54cBjbA

That's the totally talentless, desperate for fame tosser I remember him to be, yes. I also remember him being interviewed on the news when he became a millionaire before he was 40, in line with his publicly aired wish. He had no real love for comedy, and zero talent for it, imo.

Even when he was making people laugh by being apparently funny and off the cuff at award ceremonies and the like, I saw an empty vacuum, where real comedians have heart and passion. I don't know why so many people loved him, he didn't seem to love them, himself yes, he definitely loved himself! I cannot feel sympathy for this person, although he's still trying to get us all to!

I could never get why he was so loved by people he was humiliating on national TV. Why people seemed to enjoy that treatment.

It's a long time ago since he was popular - but he was popular! Styles have changed and so he looks dated and embarrassing.

He was one of the few though, even by today's standards, that could run a 'game show' seamlessly and be funny while doing it. Not many could or can do that today.

I had no love for the bloke but he was good at what he did. Others that can do it, you can count on one hand.

I know I posted earlier about liking him on things like Strike it Lucky/Rich but watching that Irish TV clip . . .

When he came on I felt the greeting from the audience was warm and genuine but as the piece went on it became more and more embarrassing and uncomfortable to watch.

Yes, these days he has a cloud of doom hanging over him, he's not what he was.

I do remember watching Strike It Lucky and quite enjoying it when I was little.
But I always hated that thing he did with the public. It really was just the X Factor of the '80s/'90s. But just the bit with the mentals at the beginning.

Didn't he win the Personality of the year at the Comedy awards for a good few years running?
Not sure why he was running, I preferred his silly walk.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ March 29 2011, 9:11 PM BST

Didn't he win the Personality of the year at the Comedy awards for a good few years running?

I remember he used to do quite mad acceptance speeches; he ripped out the autocue machine Jonathon Ross was using and threw it away.

I remember that, and I thought it was awful, it wasn't funny in the slightest, imo, and it was one of the early signs that he was a bit unstable, to put it politely. For me, he couldn't do funny, he just wasn't funny, he was an untalented attention seeker who barged his way on to the scene and can't accept that his career is over.

He's a troubled man, of that there's little question. I'm a bit amazed C4 hasn't made one of their documentaries on his life yet. And I've seen very few with his talent for gaining sympathy from the public, as in the BB fiasco. I'm not sure he deserves it, myself, but even if he was an innocent bystander in that incident, he seems so self pitying now.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ March 30 2011, 10:54 AM BST

I remember that, and I thought it was awful, it wasn't funny in the slightest,

Made me laugh.

I always felt uncomfortable watching him go into the audience and start manhandling an OAP's bottom or going through her handbag.

The impression we have of him now as an entertainer is obviously tainted by his weirdness, but when we were oblivious to this he was respected. However, I can't say he entertained me.

Still, I laughed at his Hitler impression in CBB. Sort of.