People who dislike Michael Barrymore = ignorant

I just read that Michael Barrymore has been doing stand up and has been booed:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1370661/Michael-Barrymore-attempts-comedy-comeback-surprise-gig--ends-jeered-stage.html

Barrymore was the most talented presenter on British TV and puts modern 'talent' like Ant and Dec/X Factor/Strictly Come Dancing etc to shame.

Saturday Night TV was excellent during the 90s... Barrymore's shows/Big Break (with the fantastic Jim Davidson)/Generation Game etc but now it is pathetic.

Look at how dumb, modern audiences don't appreciate Barrymore in a recent interview he did on some Irish show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o71L-399_Vg

Sure, they laughed, but the atmosphere seemed uncomfortable and no one really seemed to enjoy his humour. A far cry from his 90s heyday.

I think people in general are so conditioned to enjoy stupid programmes like Ant and Dec's Takeaway etc that they literally can't appreciate genuine comedy acts like Barrymore. They're ignorant!

Who agrees?

I'd hate new standups to think that the short cut to a Comedy Store gig is sticking a bottle up someone's bum then drowning them.

Quote: sootyj @ March 28 2011, 7:24 PM BST

I'd I'd hate new standups to think that the short cut to a Comedy Store gig is sticking a bottle up someone's bum then drowning them.

Can you elaborate on this?

Sounds like a pain in the a**e.

Quote: TopBanana @ March 28 2011, 7:36 PM BST

Sounds like a pain in the a**e.

I don't understand, can you explain what you mean here?

Guys, my OP, I put a lot of thought and time into making my argument, I'd like you to do the same in your replies ok.

Quote: Kanavan @ March 28 2011, 7:37 PM BST

I don't understand, can you explain what you mean here?

Guys, my OP, I put a lot of thought and time into making my argument, I'd like you to do the same in your replies ok.

This is the BCG Kanavan. Thought doesn't enter into it.

I don't think you can blame people for disliking the set. Everyone has their own tastes. Not sure how his TV presenting style would translate to stand up.

In fairness Micheal Barrymoore is slightly funnier than OJ Simpson

Quote: bigfella @ March 28 2011, 7:44 PM BST

This is the BCG Kanavan. Thought doesn't enter into it.

BCG?

I don't think you can blame people for disliking the set. Everyone has their own tastes. Not sure how his TV presenting style would translate to stand up.

Well, the way I see it, Barrymore is naturally funny and charismatic. The greatest British comedian/presenter too. I don't understand why he isn't on mainstream TV anymore.

I guess modern audiences are too ignorant to appreciate his humour. Much in the same way as they don't seem to like another comedy legend, Jim Davidson.

Quote: sootyj @ March 28 2011, 7:48 PM BST

In fairness Micheal Barrymoore is slightly funnier than OJ Simpson

How can you even make that comparison? OJ is a convicted criminal.

Nah he was sentimental and second rate.

Barely able to outpace Freddie Starr or Russ Abbott.

Then "some one" offed that butcher in his swimming pool and his career died.

He's on reality TV alot, a hateful histrionic bully.

Quote: sootyj @ March 28 2011, 7:52 PM BST

He's on reality TV alot, a hateful histrionic bully.

A bully? How?

Did you even watch the clip I posted? He was the only funny one on that show.

Quote: sootyj @ March 28 2011, 7:24 PM BST

I'd hate new standups to think that the short cut to a Comedy Store gig is sticking a bottle up someone's bum then drowning them.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Having been an ITV personality, I wasn't particularly aware of Barrymore's career before it ended, but what few bits and pieces I have seen of him in recent years, I've always found rather enjoyable. I'd happily see him return to television.

Quote: Aaron @ March 28 2011, 8:13 PM BST

Having been an ITV personality, I wasn't particularly aware of Barrymore's career before it ended, but what few bits and pieces I have seen of him in recent years, I've always found rather enjoyable. I'd happily see him return to television.

What personality are you? What show on ITV?

And I can't believe anyone over the age of 25 doesn't know who Barrymore is. If you're over 25, consider yourself ignorant (no offence) lol.

Everyone knows who Michael Barrymore is.

Quote: Aaron @ March 28 2011, 8:23 PM BST

Everyone knows who Michael Barrymore is.

Then why did you claim to have not been familiar with him in your previous post?

And why aren't you posting just who you are on this forum, as you've claimed to be an 'ITV personality', prove it.