Campus - Series 1 Page 5

Quote: Ian Wolf @ April 5 2011, 11:38 AM BST

And the difference is?

Consistency and believability within its own world, for one.

(I see other people have also said this, more or less.)

As for putting any kind of expectation into a mainstream media review, much less one in The Guardian...

Quote: chipolata @ April 5 2011, 5:56 PM BST

Let's wait for The Chipolata Review. The only one that really matters. ;)

Or the one written in for the Giggle Beats website. They have a TV column which is written by... oh how embarrassing, it's me. Pleased

For those interested, there are some brief interviews with the cast on the Channel 4 website.

There's been a few nice moments but the characters all seem one-dimensional variations of ones we saw in Green Wing. And it's way too long. A 30 minute running time would have been far better.

I quite like the weird lady who's always talking into a dictaphone.

I don't like the Vice Chancellor talking to the camera, but I'm enjoying it, mostly.

It's very repetitive. Jonty being rude and obnoxious to someone the first time is funny, but by the thirteenth time it gets a bit boring. Ditto for the other ciphers and whatever their single defining characteristic is.

Just feel like barging in on this conversation because I just watched the first episode (and it's probably my last) of Campus and I did not find it funny at all. I will admit I went into it with a lot of dread about what it will be like and as first impressions go it certainly did not disperse that dread. I'm not one who finds swearing and insults particularly funny when it is the basis for comedy show, for me there is a certain way of using them both in a comedy show rather than being essentially a conversation between chavs and an unfortunate passer-by. Then again I'm in favour of comedy sketch shows, and I do appreciate that it can't all be Two Ronnies etc. Regardless, I found this show to be very unpleasant to watch and, as a comedy programme, I found it to be deeply disappointing.

I wasn't blown over by the show, but it did not repel me. A few laughs, but not anything really noteworthy. Perhaps the characters will grow on me.

I personally liked Campus. There was a lot I liked, especially Jonty - enjoyed his pieces to camera quite a lot. I admit there were at times when I thought his rudeness went a bit too far (him talking in a mock accent to Asain students), but then he did a similar thing in a later scene (singing and tapping on a mug to an Asian student in his office) which I did laugh at. I felt uneasy at what I was laughing at, but laugh I did.

I admit there were some problems. I wasn't keen on the wobbly camerawork, I didn't like it when Matt and Imogen's voice-overs clashed, and I also noticed a dodgy camera cut. When Jonty is talking in his megaphone to a student about a degree in arseology, at first you see his left hand on the railing, but when it is cut it instantly appears on the megaphone, and then it cuts back to his hand on the railing (see 23:23 in on 4oD, the scene straight after Nicole's bodyguard first appears).

However, I must say I liked most of the risque humour and will watch it again next week.

In terms of the reviews, most of the ones I have seen are between negative and mixed, with virtually all of them saying it is not as good as Green Wing - which I admit it isn't, so far.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ April 6 2011, 9:06 AM BST

I admit there were at times when I thought his rudeness went a bit too far (him talking in a mock accent to Asain students)

Those were pretty much the only bits that got actual laughs from me.

Even worse news for Campus is the ratings. If you add up the numbered who watched in 22.00 and on C4+1 at 23.00, the total number of people who saw it was 718,000.

Is calling this thread "Campus - Series 1" the most optimistic title for a thread ever?

I taped it - was it just a repeat of the pilot from last year?

Quote: Marc P @ April 6 2011, 11:46 AM BST

I taped it - was it just a repeat of the pilot from last year?

It is an extended version of it and features some new characters.