So...Twitter.... Page 6

Forgot to say, I got myself 10 new followers yesterday for a few hashtag tweets. Including one dodgy gag.

Quote: Aldeem @ March 29 2011, 2:59 PM BST

Just been tucking my head into my chest & pushing myself forward arms first until my body turns completely over. That's how I roll.

I saw that at the time and thought "That's a good joke!" Someone retweeted one of my jokes as their own in a bid to win £100. They didn't and I didn't (in fact I think you did that week) but I remember thinking how thoroughly hacked off I would feel if someone else won with one of my jokes. I'd be a bit flattered, but mainly quite cross. But it's the nature of the beast, I guess.

It does take a while to keep up with all the #win100 entries but I had someone on the comp use a joke I'd previously entered.
I mentioned it at the time but they said they got it from an FHm a few years ago and that all jokes have been done anyway.

Perhaps it had been in FHM a few years ago but I did genuinely think
I had thought of it myself.
& I'd even had it published in the Zoo magazine joke page late last year (hopefully he had seen it there)

In any case it was one of the few jokes that I had Googled to check before I posted and found nothing at the time.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it had been done before because a lot f people are going to have the same ideas from the same references with those wordplay jokes.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ March 29 2011, 7:26 PM BST

In any case it was one of the few jokes that I had Googled to check before I posted and found nothing at the time.

How do you Google a joke? Do you just key the whole thing into Google and see what it comes up with?
Im a bit wary as well as I done a Robin Hood sketch and someone pointed out that the punchline had been done before, I was gutted, as I had genuinely though of it myself, but then I realised perhaps references to well known/historic characters have all prob been raked over before, but I never thought to check on Google or anything like that

Quote: Tony Cowards @ March 29 2011, 3:43 PM BST

Just in case anyone accuses me of plagarism I sometimes open my set with...

"I like to steal jokes, that's how I roll."

http://www.twitter.com/TonyCowards

*shakes head* Tony, Tony, Tony...

Whistling nnocently

Quote: Corey O'Graffor @ March 29 2011, 8:25 PM BST

*shakes head* Tony, Tony, Tony...

Whistling nnocently

Laughing out loud

Quote: Shandonbelle @ March 29 2011, 8:22 PM BST

How do you Google a joke? Do you just key the whole thing into Google and see what it comes up with?
Im a bit wary as well as I done a Robin Hood sketch and someone pointed out that the punchline had been done before, I was gutted, as I had genuinely though of it myself, but then I realised perhaps references to well known/historic characters have all prob been raked over before, but I never thought to check on Google or anything like that

I wouldn't bother checking
I've only done it once or twice with a pun joke that seemed too good to have not been done before.

The same type of jokes pop up time & time again. So as long as you aren't deliberately trying to lift stuff then don't second guess yourself over a silly joke or line that you're doing in your own style.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ March 29 2011, 8:32 PM BST

Laughing out loud

I wouldn't bother checking
I've only done it once or twice with a pun joke that seemed too good to have not been done before.

The same type of jokes pop up time & time again. So as long as you aren't deliberately trying to lift stuff then don't second guess yourself over a silly joke or line that you're doing in your own style.

Thanks for that, I really couldn't be doing with googling... it takes all the fun out of it,Id rather live in happy ignorance ;)

Hi All,

Hope you're enjoying your new followers!

Good idea wasn't it?

Don't forget to follow each other - me included!!! -

I saw that forward roll joke and thought it was good at the time - do you want to be added to the twitter list?

Any more for any more?

Dean

Somebody entered a joke into #win100 that was practically verbatim to one I had been performing live in my set several months previously, and had also posted in the competition 2 weeks before they submitted it.

I spotted it and got their version disqualified before the competition closed. Coincidences happen all the time, but this was too close to have been anything but a blatant steal.

What was the joke?

I often Google jokes I've written to see if anything similar comes up and I also ask other stand ups if they recognize any familiar concepts in some of my gags.

On Twitter it doesn't really matter if you've come up with a similar joke to someone else but on the comedy circuit it's a different matter.

I've had to drop numerous gags because Milton Jones, Tim Vine, Jimmy Carr or Gary Delaney et al have got their first, it's just not worth getting a reputation, deserved or otherwise, as a "gag thief".

The worst cases tend to be with topical jokes as, generally, there's only so many spins on the same news item but there are hundreds, if not thousands, of people trying to write jokes about them, so there's bound to be a lot of similar jokes cropping up.

Personally, I keep an eye on the #win100 thing on Twitter just to make sure that one of my jokes doesn't win someone else £100 and I'm starting to reign in my Twitter profligacy as so many of my jokes were turning up, mostly uncredited, in people's facebook statuses, on their twitter feeds, on forums, on Sikipedia, etc, etc.

Me too Tony - I've been writing gags for Twitter when I should be writing them for my set, so it's time to focus on what's important.

Ha you kive turkey suckers!

Sootyj simply writes terrible jokes.

Then no one either uses them or trys to steal them.

Did you see my message to you last week Tony re win100?Someone had used the same punchline you use in a joke, namely "She's a keeper", but had a different front end. Guess it's like my 'how I roll' effort, just coincidence taking a stock phrase and trying to build a joke working back from it, rather than plagiarism.

PS I'm @Alconcalcia on twitter by the way if anyone's arsed. I use it for business as well as jokes though, so you may get bored with my observations on social recruiting, plugs about copywriting etc.

I Google jokes and also search on twitter if I have confidence in a joke.

I've got to the stage where I have jokes for twitter and jokes for a live set. However, I do enjoy entering the #win100 competition as it's possible for a payout the same as you might get for performing a set in a gig.

That said, the #win100 need to state that it's original material because to non-comedians it's just a "best joke you know competition".

Dean

Quote: Aldeem @ March 30 2011, 2:39 PM BST

PS I'm @Alconcalcia on twitter by the way if anyone's arsed. I use it for business as well as jokes though, so you may get bored with my observations on social recruiting, plugs about copywriting etc.

I've added you to the 1st post list -

It'd be good if we all looked out for each other?

Dean