Comedians with no material Page 3

Don't be phased; there are only a handful of people on here who do stand up, and I think only Tony Cowards who can be described as an established comedian. The rest of us are just chancers.

Quote: John Owen Jones @ March 2 2011, 6:51 PM GMT

Thank you all for your kind words especially Nat, I owe you a hug!

David Bussell I went on your website and you seem dead ironic! Hahaha I get it now. See you on the circuit!

Sorry if I have caused offence or anything but it can be quite intimidating joining a forum with so many established comedians!

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

You haven't offended me at all and I'm sorry if you've felt intimidated in any way. I wasn't being facetious when I made my bid, I was just responding to your offer. I am not yet an established comedian and bid on that joke genuinely believing I could use it in my act to further my career. Are you really planning on withdrawing from the deal? I have to say I'd find that very disappointing. This could be your first paid commission, John - I urge you not to set the template for your profession as a writer this way.

I bid £1.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ March 2 2011, 7:00 PM GMT

Don't be phased; there are only a handful of people on here who do stand up, and I think only Tony Cowards who can be described as an established comedian. The rest of us are just chancers.

Oi! To date I have been paid £20 and been bought 3 drinks, not bad recompense for 2 years gigging thank you very much.

Hmm John read your gags again. A couple of nice ones in there but you're drowning with volume.

I mean fruit corner ace.

Channukah Rice adomidable.

You want my advice? Write 200, then reduce it to 50 then to 20 then try and do something with them.

And if you want to sell gags, the only 2 reliable market is Treason or News Revue for topical one liners.

Bussell, give it a bloody rest!

My donkey insists on voting even though it's just tilting at windmills.

Frankly he's a donkey votey.

Any bids on that beauty?

Quote: sootyj @ March 2 2011, 11:17 PM GMT

My donkey insists on voting even though it's just tilting at windmills.

Frankly he's a donkey votey.

Any bids on that beauty?

You owe us all a pound.

Quote: Nat Wicks @ March 2 2011, 7:00 PM GMT

Don't be phased.

Not even for a stage career?

I went to Greggs and they forced me to take the lead in a play about processed meat tubes in pastry.

All I wanted was a sausage roll!

I'm dyslexic and hate ring donuts. So when I try and order a whole donut at Greggs they give me an empty bag.

C'mon any bids!

Quote: David Bussell @ March 2 2011, 11:01 PM GMT

I bid £1.

You southerners with your disposable incomes! I'm out.

Quote: zooo @ March 2 2011, 11:15 PM GMT

YOU BUSSELL, YOU QUIFF'ED TOSSBAG.

Quote: sootyj @ March 2 2011, 11:23 PM GMT

C'mon any bids!

Not even your mum wants to bid.

Quote: zooo @ March 2 2011, 11:15 PM GMT

Zoo, think what you may but I'm not kidding around, nor am I trying to upset John.

Of course. Rolling eyes

Quote: zooo @ March 2 2011, 11:46 PM GMT

Of course. Rolling eyes

You're applying your own interpretation to my actions here, Zoo.

Here's what I truly want from this transaction:

I want John to stick to his word and sell me his joke
I want to pay John what may be his first money as a writer
I want to perform the joke on stage and get a good result
I want to share that result with John.

If John reads this and decides his word isn't his bond I will leave this issue alone once and for all - after all, I'm not about to steal the guy's work. Still, I would be disappointed in his lack of integrity.

Love and hugs all. I am so busy right now (aka lots of other words) I've not read all 3 (yes, 3) pages of this thread... but, as a more general point, I think the industry would benefit from more writers teaming up with stand-up comedians. I've seen stand-ups with the best stage presence and confidence in the world... but no good jokes; and some great writers who haven't got the balls/psychopathic nature (aka sane people) to get up on the stage.

Mmm... maybe there is an idea in this. A dating website, but for writers/performers. Must have GSOH.

You carry on Bussell, I shall bow out.
But I truly don't understand what you're trying to do here.

Quote: zooo @ March 3 2011, 12:21 AM GMT

You carry on Bussell, I shall bow out.
But I truly don't understand what you're trying to do here.

He's trying to buy a joke from a writer.

In a bizarre, strangely confrontational way.