Nice to meat you

Hello all,

The spelling of meat was no error. I thought I would let you imagine how a cannibal greets his dinner prospect.

I am a new stand up comic and also a new comedy writer. Well 'new' to the world not to me. All my life people have said to me 'you think you are really funny don't you?' to which I reply 'actually, yes I do' so there you go. I have been steered here.

When my careers teacher asked me what I wanted to do at school I did not know. All my life I have done jobs I did not like until I realised that the only thing I enjoy is taking the piss and swearing. So inspired by this revelation I am diving straight in.

I write sketches and gags. Topical comedy is what I love doing. I am also a stand up comic and write sketches and parody songs for a couple of theatre groups. I would love to know how to contact comedy shows like 'have I got news for you' and Johanthan Ross etc. The trouble with topical comedy is that it is topical. By the time I can get a piece through it will be last weeks news and out of date. Any advice or suggestions on how to overcome this obstacle will be welcome.

I love The Office, Life of Bryon, Spinal Tap etc. If you want a gag and you don't mean the S&M kind I am your man. (except I am female) It doesn't have the same ring if I say 'I am your woman' although that would be a good title for a country and western song so Dolly Parton if you are reading this you can have it. My gift to you Dolly.

Quote: RLB1 @ October 31, 2006, 4:21 PM

I write sketches and gags. Topical comedy is what I love doing. I am also a stand up comic and write sketches and parody songs for a couple of theatre groups. I would love to know how to contact comedy shows like 'have I got news for you' and Johanthan Ross etc. The trouble with topical comedy is that it is topical. By the time I can get a piece through it will be last weeks news and out of date. Any advice or suggestions on how to overcome this obstacle will be welcome.

I think the key there is to just write and send to people. Even if they don't read it whilst it's still "topical", if it's any good then it's still good, and they'll give you the chance to write and get their attention whilst your material still IS topical.

If that makes sense?

... I think.

Welcome anyway. :)

Cheers for the tips. Any suggestions who? I am already sending stuff to newspapers and to topical comedy theatre shows. I sent a joke very similar to the one Jonathon Ross told about Heather Mills having two legs and sent it off to about 3 different newspapers and two topical sketch shows. I know that sometimes more than one person can come up with the same gag but it is frustrating knowing I thought of that gag. I sent it off and a few days later a very similar one is being used. That tells me that I must be on the right path of this topical comedy.

Thank you for your welcome :)

To be honest, I'm not totally sure, but my instinct would be to try companies who deal with that kind of thing already. Hat Trick, producers of HIGNFY, spring to mind.

Anyone else have any thoughts here?