Shine On Harvey Moon Page 2

Quote: Buddy Sorrel @ February 8 2011, 2:14 PM GMT

I seem to remember this started life as a half-hour sitcom. I don't know if they made any in that format but I'm sure it was commissioned and maybe even trailed as a half hour.

Yes the first six (?) episodes are half hour only.

I loved it at the time. That and It's A Knockout! :)
Glad it's being repeated now, still good viewing.

I tape Shine on Harvey Moon every evening now. I might buy a DVD set. Does anyone know where I could get hold of them?

Quote: Andy Hunter @ February 12 2011, 11:09 PM GMT

I tape Shine on Harvey Moon every evening now. I might buy a DVD set. Does anyone know where I could get hold of them?

They may not be available yet.

It took ages for Birds of a Feather DVDs to appear & Shine On is older than BOAF but probably belongs now to the same Freemantle library of TV shows.

As far a I know Freemantle bought out all the rights for the Witzend & Alomo etc shows.

Quote: Andy Hunter @ February 12 2011, 11:09 PM GMT

You can get a DVD that comprises 2 episodes of Series 1 and the entirety of Series 2, and another set of Series 3.

Bizarrely, I have a feeling that those 2 S1 episodes are compiled highlights from across all six half-hours, rather than just 2 episodes as broadcast. Really confusing.

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3298564/Shine-On-Harvey-Moon-Series-1-2-25th-Anniversary-Edition/Product.html]
[h=612153]

See Amazon product listing
[p=http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3437765/Shine-On-Harvey-Moon-Series-Three/Product.html]
[h=687546]

Quote: billwill @ February 12 2011, 11:49 PM GMT

They may not be available yet.

It took ages for Birds of a Feather DVDs to appear & Shine On is older than BOAF but probably belongs now to the same Freemantle library of TV shows.

As far a I know Freemantle bought out all the rights for the Witzend & Alomo etc shows.

Shine On Harvey Moon was an ATV production though - albeit 'developed for television' by Witzend - so unless that development credit is a pseudonym for the prod co under contractual reasons, it presumably remains the property of ITV plc.

Shine on Harvey Moon - Series 4 is now available from our store a full week before it hits other retailers.

Click the link to buy >>> http://bit.ly/harveymoon4

I was thinking of checking this out as a DVD - haven't seen it but seems to my taste and I like the writers - but I've been put off by complaints from fans on Amazon about the incompleteness of the first series on DVD. They seem to feel betrayed.

Comments?

Yes, some sort of clearance issue with the first series means that the original 6 half hours have been edited down to just 2. That's 3 hours to one, if I understand it correctly. I assume it's a kind of highlights compilation, with enough of the characters' storyline left in to carry into where the second series kicks off. A real shame.

After TV repeats last year, the first series in its full and uncut entirety is now 'available', but of course I couldn't possibly recommend going down such a road...