Shine On Harvey Moon

I noticed the channel Yesterday is now showing re-runs of this sitcom on weekday afternoon/evenings.

What do people think? I caught 10 minutes of it and thought it looked quite interesting. :)

How much of a sitcom is it? I've never seen it, and have never been entirely sure how much of a comedy-drama it is?

Quote: Aaron @ February 7 2011, 8:44 PM GMT

How much of a sitcom is it? I've never seen it, and have never been entirely sure how much of a comedy-drama it is?

Laurence tells me there are about 25 hours of programme altogether.

It was their first major success.

It was all done before I knew them though, so I didn't watch it first time around in the mid '80s

It's most definitely comedy drama, but if I remember right rather good. Nice dry wit and good characters

I used to enjoy this.
It had a young Nigel Planer in among others.

I watched it too and it's more of a drama with comedy. Lots of really poignant moments but very amusing too at times. I remember pauline Quirke with one lens of her glasses covered by plaster. Lots of famous people in this.

That's right, a dramcom rather than a comdram, most def. A warmy homely show, a sort of happy EastEnders, with better acting.

No, I would never have listed it as sitcom myself. Saw it quite a lot, it was likable, in a low key way.

Yes, I remember this. Kenneth Crahnam, I think? An under rated actor, whimsical stuff...
Tough times in the 1980s, chancers galore.

It had quite a dark side to it.

Quote: dellas @ February 8 2011, 7:36 AM GMT

Yes, I remember this. Kenneth Crahnam, I think? An under rated actor, whimsical stuff...
Tough times in the 1980s, chancers galore.

I absolutely agree with you Dellas, except Cranham was/is a highly rated actor and even missed several episodes of this series due to other commitments, I believe, and it was set in the 40s. But they were indeed tough times with chancers galore. :)

I remember it first time round, and it was extensively trailed as a comedy. To much disappointment in our house anyway. Much more a drama in the "When the Boat Comes In" style. With the odd joke.

I LOVE Shine On Harvey Moon! I watched the odd episode as a kid with my Mum which she taped. Glad it's back on. Better than reality trash they show nowadays.

Kenneth Cranham is very underrated. He is a brilliant actor. Lovely to see the likes of Elizabeth Spriggs, Maggie Steed, Linda Robson, Nigel Planer and Pauline Quirke.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 8 2011, 9:37 AM GMT

I absolutely agree with you Dellas, except Cranham was/is a highly rated actor and even missed several episodes of this series due to other commitments, I believe, and it was set in the 40s. But they were indeed tough times with chancers galore. :)

:) Sorry Alfred, of course it was the 40s, it was those 'fair-Isle jerkins' and belt and braces period.

Quote: dellas @ February 8 2011, 11:07 AM GMT

:) Sorry Alfred, of course it was the 40s, it was those 'fair-Isle jerkins' and belt and braces period.

Well it did begin with them being de-mobbed just after the war. 1945.

"Shine on Harvey Moon" was written & produced in the '80s.

Marks & Gran seem to have a 'bit-of-a-thing' about the '40s, what with Gary in "Goodnight Sweetheart" going back in time to the war.

Also they wrote the drama "Mosely" which is, or has just, been repeated on Channel 4 (in the early hours of the morning). Mosely was the leader of the British Union of Fascists in the early to mid '30s. Mosley & his wife were interned in Holloway Prison during the war.

I seem to remember this started life as a half-hour sitcom. I don't know if they made any in that format but I'm sure it was commissioned and maybe even trailed as a half hour.