I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue Page 4

The only anecdote I have about Tim Brooke-Taylor concerns a chap in the London area who, a good many years ago, was desperate to have his young son accompany him on a weekend trip to visit relatives in Derbyshire.

The weather was absolutely dreadful and for that reason, and probably others, the boy wasn't having any of it until his dad promised him that, if he went on the trip, he would get Tim Brooke-Taylor to come around and visit him. Both the boy and his father were fans of the Goodies and so the boy agreed to go on the trip.

After driving a couple of hundred miles and having settled in with the family, the following afternoon the chap went off to collect Tim.

A short time later, the family were sitting around the living room when the father arrived in his car with Tim, brought him into the house and proudly displayed him to the assembled group.

The young boy promptly threw a huge tantrum, shouting "No, not that one! The beardy one! The FUNNY one!"

Tomorrow (Monday 30 November) & next Monday (7 December) at 6.30pm on Radio 4 sees the broadcast of the first two programmes in series 73, recorded at Huddersfield Town Hall. These two shows, in turn, are the last two shows to feature Tim Brooke Taylor.

Listened to the first episode of the 75th series, but oh dear, and I quote:-

" The series comes from the hallowed Radio Theatre in Broadcasting House but with a 1000-strong remote audience drawn exclusively from the South of England. For this show, regular panellists Tony Hawks and Marcus Brigstocke are joined by first-timers Vicki Pepperdine and Henning Wehn, with Jack Dee as the programme's reluctant chairman."

With a remote audience and lengthy intro from Jack, the soul has gone from it. I know things have to move on, but with the loss of Tim and now no Barry or Graeme, it has lost its way imo. I managed five minutes and had to turn off.

Such a shame. I like Jack Dee, but he is struggling with this and let's face it, despite his dour manner, he's no match for "cynical" Humph.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd June 2021, 12:04 AM

Listened to the first episode of the 75th series, but oh dear, and I quote:-

" The series comes from the hallowed Radio Theatre in Broadcasting House but with a 1000-strong remote audience drawn exclusively from the South of England. For this show, regular panellists Tony Hawks and Marcus Brigstocke are joined by first-timers Vicki Pepperdine and Henning Wehn, with Jack Dee as the programme's reluctant chairman."

With a remote audience and lengthy intro from Jack, the soul has gone from it. I know things have to move on, but with the loss of Tim and now no Barry or Graeme, it has lost its way imo. I managed five minutes and had to turn off.

Such a shame. I like Jack Dee, but he is struggling with this and let's face it, despite his dour manner, he's no match for "cynical" Humph.

I disagree, Herc. I think recent series have been patchy, but for me the first two episodes of this run have been pretty strong, and Henning Wehn is very good. I agree that Dee is no Humph, but then nobody is! Humph was a unique talent.

:D So much for speed reading - at first glance I thought you said you agreed with me.

Oh well, c'est la vie. ;)

I see Tony Hawks, who I think is brilliant, is now listed as a regular panellist, whereas one of the show(s) I went to see, he was the alternate guest (they recorded two in an evening then) with the late Jeremy Hardy.

I will continue to listen to my many, many cassettes of the original shows (one recently very funny, when they celebrated 30 years of the prog.), along with the hilarious Dougal and Hamish in the spin off "You'll Have Had Your Tea".

Worth repeating, I think, as it has been 6 years! :D.........................

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th July 2015, 9:04 PM

He (Tony Hawks) was on one of the shows I went to see a few years back - very good. On the other recording (done the same night of course) his place was taken by Jeremy Hardy, who I had never been a great fan of, but he was brilliant and I changed my opinion.

There was a couple came in about 5 minutes after the recording had started, and Jeremy got up and went to the front of the stage and asked them where they came from, which they told him.

Jeremy "Well how far is that from here?"

Answer "About 8 miles"

Jeremy "Is that all!! Well I've come up from London and I've managed to get here on time, so why the f**k can't you!?"

much laughter ensues

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 22nd June 2021, 9:04 AM

:D So much for speed

:O

Although I agree about Tony Hawks. Of the new panellists he's one of the best.

I listened to that at 5.30 this morning on Radio 4 Extra. You missed something Herc. Henning was very good and so was Tony Hawks. I don't know the woman. I was waiting for Mornington Crescent to confirm my suspicion but they never played it.

I know they didn't have much choice but it felt like it needed a longer transition from the old guard to the new faces (or relatively new faces). I did wonder if someone would attempt Dougal and Hamish or Bring me the head.... and how I would feel about it. I have been listening but not sure its 'appointment' radio for me any more but then I've not listened to the latest series of Just A Minute so maybe i'm too set in my ways.

And we've had a letter from a Mrs. Trellis -

"Dear Clint, first of all, let me apologise for misspelling your name last week"

- hysterical pandemonium all round as the panel and audience (and me!!) took ages to settle down.

Brilliant! And superb delivery by Humph.